Powered by Outside

Identifying Scammers

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
Identifying Scammers
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 9:43 Quote
Seems as though there are a few people out there that have no clue when a scammer is contacting them. There are a few things to watch for when you have something on the buy/sell.

1. If the messages says "Dear Seller" it's almost always a scammer. They send out mass e-mails so it's mainly kept generic.
2. They keep refering to your item for sale as an "item". Take a hint when they don't say what you're selling in your post.
3. The item you're selling is always in bold, brackets or quoted. eg. I'm interested in your (fork), I see that you have a "bike" for sale.
4. Double check their join dates/forum posts/comments/friends. Odds are if they joined up 1 hour ago with no friends, forum posts, or comments they've just come on to scam you.
5. They're from Nigeria and buying it for a friend.

Just keep your eye out. You don't want to be giving out your phone number and address to just anyone on the internet. Try using paypal as much as possible so if you do get scammed out of your product you might be able to get your money back. Any other red flags you can think of just post them up.

Thanks, the pinkbike team

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 15:29 Quote
You missed the old "i pay you £/$___ and when you ship you return the excess money to this account..." attempt.

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 22:01 Quote
someone tryed to scam me and I will copy and paste the exact words they said here it is

June 30, 2008 at 15:35
donlinco says:
Hello

Am intersted in buying your (Norco Fluid Freeride ) So i want you to explain the condition, and i will need the picture of it, also mail me your last price, and just to let you know that i will be paying with (Money Order) ok. I will be looking forward to hear from you. Thanks and have wonderful day. and you can contact me on my mail which is tomjltd@yahoo.com cos it mail i recieve reply ok.

Regards,

Jerry.

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 19:10 Quote
This also happens on craigslist, facebook, etc not just pinkbike. It's usually pretty obvious.

O+
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 20:36 Quote
See A Scammer, Use A Hammer.

Aaanny ways, good info ^^^

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 21:04 Quote
what if the person sends you $ 2300 too much and asks you to send it to a undisclosed location? please i really need to know ASAP

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 21:06 Quote
odds are it's a scammer.

Posted: Sep 26, 2008 at 11:06 Quote
Hey there,

Got something curious today, concerning a item that i want to sell.
Here is it:

Hello,
Thanks for your prompt response. I appreciate it. I live in London (UK) so the shipping agent is in United Kingdom. A European certified check will be issued to you as payment for the item.

I am to make the shipping arrangement myself so don't be bothered. Just know that Excess money will be on check, the excess money is for the shipping firm,so when you get the check you will cash in the check to your account, you will then send the excess money to the shipping firm,then shipping agent i use will be ready to come pick up the item at your address.

I am okay with the description and all the details i have read and gotten so far.

I also believe the price is perfect for my client, if there is no reduce in price.

We will be paying you by check which my client will issue and send to you immediately i have your details.

Let your details include..

===========================================
FULL NAME.. ..........
ADDRESS.....
ZIP CODE...........................
STATE... ................
COUNTRY..................
TEL NUMBER. ..................
LAST PRICE..............
NAME OF ITEM YOU ARE SELLING........................
============================================

I will be happy if my offer is granted, you can email the details to jimmysimones@yahoo.com

Regards,
Jimmy Simones.

Its a typical way to rip people off i think... any comments on that?!

FL
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 at 21:37 Quote
Im having a hard time telling if I may be getting scammed. I sent the guy money via paypal two weeks ago and havent heard from him or anything since. I really want the bike but my mom is taking the money back tomorow because there has been no contact.

Posted: Nov 11, 2008 at 21:05 Quote
yeah. i was looking around on this sight for a mag 30 after i killed my single treck rim. i only joined because i wanted the rim so even though i have like 20 other people with acounts i dont know how to add people, or know how to put up pictures. (yeah im kinda dumb haha). i joined and messeged the guy within a an hour of joining. he hasnt gotten back to me in like a week so. i bet hes thinkin im a scammer haha. oh well.

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 6:43 Quote
Here's another:

"alllenjohnson says:
that is great am ok with the price and the condition ok but i want you to know that am from united state but am not in the country know but i will like to pay to you by credit card ok and also i will like you to know that that you will not be the one to ship for me my shipper will come and pic it up from you ok but i want you to know that after i pay i give you the card you will charge with my shipper money ok so you will help me send money to the shipper ok so if you and i will also give u a run around expenses for 50 dollar thanks"

I hit the "report possible scammer" but what exactly is done by Pinkbike when that is done???

Posted: Dec 6, 2008 at 0:24 Quote
jordenkeller wrote:
what if the person sends you $ 2300 too much and asks you to send it to a undisclosed location? please i really need to know ASAP
Was it for 5000? or 4900? and its credit uneon bank with four names on the top cant remeber what they were i threw out my check but ye...

O+
Posted: Feb 13, 2009 at 14:56 Quote
Hi I saw your argyl fork on pink bike and I was wondering if you would sell it to me for $300CDN. could you please tell me the travel on it and if it will fit a 26" tire.And iv never used pink bike so could you tell me how I would pay for it and how you would ship it to me?

What do you think of this one profile is completely blank?

Ryan

O+
Posted: Feb 13, 2009 at 16:21 Quote
I wouldn't hesitate if it's a blank profile. I'd just make sure he uses pay pal or COD. Just be careful of them asking for a broker to take car of it. Even ask for a phone number and talk to them about price or details. Usually scammers won't have a phone number for you to contact them.

Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 7:08 Quote
iride999 is Scammer.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007296
Mobile Version of Website