how to remove a crank without a crank puller??

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
how to remove a crank without a crank puller??
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 14, 2008 at 10:47 Quote
i want to know how to remove my crank without a crank puller

Posted: Aug 14, 2008 at 10:53 Quote
Not that good but you can use a hammer,if you dont want to mark up your crank put an old rag over where your going to hit.

Posted: Aug 14, 2008 at 10:55 Quote
Take out the bolt.

Pedal around in a parking lot, driveway, etc until you feel it loosen up (WARNING: Don't ride it hard, just pedal in a circle)

It should come right off after that.

Posted: Aug 14, 2008 at 10:55 Quote
I think that it's impossible without damaging your crank.But If you really want to remove it you can do it with a hammer.Frown

Posted: Aug 14, 2008 at 10:58 Quote
i dunno bout ur cranks but for me (bmx) u unscrew the bolt half way and hammer it and it shifts the cranks and they fall off

Posted: Aug 14, 2008 at 11:12 Quote
ride around with the bolt out, it falls of pretty quick ( ride around on grass so it wont get scratched )

Posted: Aug 14, 2008 at 11:50 Quote
ed--- wrote:
ride around with the bolt out, it falls of pretty quick ( ride around on grass so it wont get scratched )
oh alright but you dont need a crank puller to put it back in do you?

Posted: Aug 14, 2008 at 11:52 Quote
Nope. That's what the bolt is for.

O+
Posted: Aug 14, 2008 at 18:08 Quote
Hate to ask, but why do you need it off if you dont have a crank puller? You're clearly not well equipped as a home mechanic, and maybe should consider leaving some of the BB area as a secret undiscovered country.

Posted: Aug 14, 2008 at 21:01 Quote
hustler wrote:
Hate to ask, but why do you need it off if you dont have a crank puller? You're clearly not well equipped as a home mechanic, and maybe should consider leaving some of the BB area as a secret undiscovered country.

Just because he doesn't own a crank puller you assume he is not skilled enough to take off a crank.? I don't own a crank puller and I have succesfully done almost everything that you would ever do on a bike.

Posted: Aug 14, 2008 at 23:22 Quote
xxJon wrote:
i want to know how to remove my crank without a crank puller

A hammer and a new set of cranks. Just take it into a shop and pay to get it done, not worth your time.

O+
Posted: Aug 15, 2008 at 0:42 Quote
kyleandres wrote:
hustler wrote:

Just because he doesn't own a crank puller you assume he is not skilled enough to take off a crank.? I don't own a crank puller and I have succesfully done almost everything that you would ever do on a bike.

A number of things made me assume he shouldnt be tinkering with stuff like cranks or BB's. Started with not having the correct tools for the job, then asking how to remove cranks.

Posted: Aug 15, 2008 at 0:52 Quote
its a valid question. its only held on by a single bolt so you'd think un-screw it, give it a wiggle and disco!

i have self-extracting bolts on one bike - nice!
on the other bike i use foot long lump of 4x2 and a hummer

Posted: Aug 15, 2008 at 7:36 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
its a valid question. its only held on by a single bolt so you'd think un-screw it, give it a wiggle and disco!

i have self-extracting bolts on one bike - nice!
on the other bike i use foot long lump of 4x2 and a hummer

Cranks stay on a BB spindle cause of friction. Square taper, ISIS, Octalink, Howizter, X-type, etc... They all work on friction.

It's not as easy as wiggling them off, there's a little more to it than that.

Posted: Aug 15, 2008 at 10:53 Quote
hustler wrote:
kyleandres wrote:
hustler wrote:

A number of things made me assume he shouldnt be tinkering with stuff like cranks or BB's. Started with not having the correct tools for the job, then asking how to remove cranks.
thanks people, and i need it off because im changing it over, when i take it out will i be able to reuse it?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012878
Mobile Version of Website