Powered by Outside

Why do avid juicy 5's and elixers lever pop out

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Why do avid juicy 5's and elixers lever pop out
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 24, 2009 at 14:54 Quote
so i have elixer cr's and i have a friend with juicy 5's. and if you push the lever out it pops out and stays there. the master cylinder doesnt move. im just wondering whats the main purpose of it

Posted: Apr 24, 2009 at 15:06 Quote
yeah i have the 7s and they do the same. im not for sure but ive heard its for when u take ur wheel off and u can pop it out so u dont have to worry as much about accidentily squeezing your brakes with no roter

O+
Posted: Apr 25, 2009 at 9:34 Quote
DowNhillFrEeRide854 wrote:
so i have elixer cr's and i have a friend with juicy 5's. and if you push the lever out it pops out and stays there. the master cylinder doesnt move. im just wondering whats the main purpose of it

I know on the 5 the little set screw for your reach adjust is at the base of the brake lever. The lever pulls foward to allow you to reach it. I haven't seen the Elixirs up close but I assume it's the same.

Posted: Apr 25, 2009 at 9:46 Quote
i think it makes it less likly to damage the lever or to screw up the brake in whole. when it pops out it takes some of the force away if you were to crash and hit the leaver !

not 100% sure but .. Razz

Posted: Apr 25, 2009 at 9:52 Quote
pinkdike wrote:
yeah i have the 7s and they do the same. im not for sure but ive heard its for when u take ur wheel off and u can pop it out so u dont have to worry as much about accidentily squeezing your brakes with no roter
That sounds most realistic

Posted: Apr 25, 2009 at 9:56 Quote
live-life-2-ride-mtb wrote:
i think it makes it less likly to damage the lever or to screw up the brake in whole. when it pops out it takes some of the force away if you were to crash and hit the leaver !

this is what i am trying to say in better words Smile

In the event of a crash the lever disengages from the cam so the master cylinder does not get ripped out.

Posted: Apr 25, 2009 at 9:58 Quote

In the event of a crash the lever disengages from the cam so the master cylinder does not get ripped out.
yep thats definitely the reason
same as avid codes

O+
Posted: Apr 25, 2009 at 10:01 Quote

you are 100% correct...

Posted: Apr 25, 2009 at 10:34 Quote
my codes don't pop forward and i beleave the reason that other brakes do is to adjust the leaver
david-bike wrote:

same as avid codes

Posted: Apr 25, 2009 at 12:36 Quote
ya that does seem the most likly in a event of crash and so you dont press the lever by accident when taking out the wheel

Posted: Apr 25, 2009 at 12:39 Quote
my 7's do it, i though it was if you want them out of the way on climbs or whatever you just click em out.

Posted: Apr 25, 2009 at 12:57 Quote
The little piston rod thingy connected to your lever actually pops out of the lever body rather than being snapped in a crash or if your bike falls over.

Posted: Apr 25, 2009 at 12:58 Quote

Winrar!

It's Avid's safety mechanism to prevent such a problem, it's better for your lever to disengage and not the master cylinder.

Shimano, Giant and the Formula Oro's have a design where instead of how the avid does it, the rod that pushes the pistons just disengages from the master cylinder.

Formula's the One brake has a really simple version on what I can only describe as a retention spring, and when hit it slips over a ramp on the rod that drives the master cylinders piston, disengaging the lever and not causing any harm at all to the system.

Hayes 9 and below however just rip the whole lever unit out. I think the Strokers and other's have this solved, but the mess made from a crash with the Hayes was pretty bad.

I've probably bored you all now with a history/brake comparison lesson. Ah well.

Posted: Apr 25, 2009 at 14:07 Quote
the back of the lever hits the main body - so it can not pull the piston out

Posted: Apr 26, 2009 at 3:47 Quote
johnmcisaac wrote:
my codes don't pop forward and i beleave the reason that other brakes do is to adjust the leaver
david-bike wrote:

same as avid codes
mine do but
do you have code 5s or the normal codes?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006974
Mobile Version of Website