Powered by Outside

Those who work in bike shops

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Those who work in bike shops
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 2, 2009 at 10:51 Quote
So, just wondering.
Those of you that work in bike shops, what discount do you get on bikes/parts/clothes etc etc etc?

My boss is being highly annoying about it so id like to know what other shops are getting.

Cheers
Jack

Bloody hell its been a while since i was on here last! All change!

Posted: May 2, 2009 at 11:14 Quote
Usually at cost or like 10% above to help cover shipping cost. I could see your boss getting upset about it if your buying stuff off the shelf that the shop could make money off. It's better just to order what you want unless the shop already has a few in stock.

Posted: May 2, 2009 at 11:53 Quote
i pay about 10% over cost for taxes and shipping etc. i've gotta wait to order the stuff i want until the shop is doing an order, so sometimes it's a week or two wait to get what i want. for example, it took over a year to get my straitline pedals because we only get them through a company we order from 2-3 times each year and they were out of stock the first couple times i tried to order them.

Posted: May 2, 2009 at 17:00 Quote
Im allowed 20% off, and that it. Buying a remedy 7 from work, and he wont throw in some pedals or anything Blank Stare Seriously not happy

Posted: May 2, 2009 at 17:12 Quote
That's lame, you should ask him if Trek will give you a pro deal. Sometimes companies will sell to shop employees for like 10% below cost!

Posted: May 2, 2009 at 17:15 Quote
True, i could easily just dive on dexter and get one for trade, that or just phone up the rep. But apparently that could result in me being sacked :s
Apparently its because of someone in another store (non bike) (all owned by the same company) buying dell pc on trade and selling them :grr:

Posted: May 2, 2009 at 17:45 Quote
I would PM all this stuff, people who don't work at shops get pissed at our prices.

O+
Posted: May 2, 2009 at 18:06 Quote
also too, its up to the owner/boss what type of discount you get.

Posted: May 2, 2009 at 18:12 Quote
Keeping this stuff in PM's is a good idea.

Also you should be happy you get a discount at all.

At a place I used to work at people would bitch about the discount sooo much. I never understood, they don't have to give you shit, they choose to as a benefit to you and in theory as a retention scheme.

Posted: May 2, 2009 at 18:13 Quote
Rattsl wrote:
I would PM all this stuff, people who don't work at shops get pissed at our prices.

LOL

Hey, we work hard for little dough. I'm choppin bikes & Pinhead systems on the weekend while they ride. They should be grateful :p

Posted: May 3, 2009 at 2:03 Quote
True they dont have to give us anything, but in the past year and a half, i have sold wayyyy over £100,000 worth of bikes/stock, and have been on minimum wage the whole time with no chance of a rise. Its the least they could do!

O+
Posted: May 3, 2009 at 10:41 Quote
jacko198 wrote:
True they dont have to give us anything, but in the past year and a half, i have sold wayyyy over £100,000 worth of bikes/stock, and have been on minimum wage the whole time with no chance of a rise. Its the least they could do!

i used to be in sales and i've done that 100 000 Per day for over a year. Do i see a raise ( of course its not bike related) but still. life sucks.. get used to it.

Posted: May 3, 2009 at 10:53 Quote
You shouldnt be saying how much discount we get or may not get. As it is trade secrets.

Posted: May 3, 2009 at 10:55 Quote
just being a little bit off topic: chill out with all this PM stuff. do you think it is possible to find one guy who believes that people at bike shops pay as much as we do and don't get gadgets for free? if yes than it is very likely that he still believes in Santa Claus. it's not a secret that someone who sells stuff gets it cheaper than most people. relax, it's not CIA Wink

Posted: May 3, 2009 at 10:57 Quote
yeah you shouldnt post your discount. but i agree with you about not liking your discount, last bike i bought i got an amazing discount boss made $50 but my new bike thats on order my boss is making $500 from it

• Previous Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019639
Mobile Version of Website