Powered by Outside

Race bike that pedals?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Race bike that pedals?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 20, 2009 at 14:00 Quote
Does anyone have recommendations on a good DH race bike that's also good for self-shuttling? I tried DH for the first time this year and I'd like to do more racing next year, but I also like to ride trails that include an occasional uphill, and having two bikes isn't in my immediate future.

I've been riding and racing a Big Hit, and it does most of what I want, but if you've had a bike that's done well in both respects, I'd love to hear about it. I'd also like to hear general recommendations if you've got 'em (single-crown vs. dual crown, gearing, geometry etc.)

Posted: Oct 20, 2009 at 14:05 Quote
Your going to have to compromise somewhere, youll never have a decicated race bike that will willingly go uphill, but something like a socom will peform well racing and wouldnt be too bad.

Posted: Oct 20, 2009 at 14:18 Quote
Muttley wrote:
Your going to have to compromise somewhere, youll never have a decicated race bike that will willingly go uphill, but something like a socom will peform well racing and wouldnt be too bad.

Thanks--I'll look more at the Socoms. I realize compromises will be made, but I'll probably only race a few times each year, and I don't do many super-epic trail rides, so I figured there are bikes out there that could handle both.

Posted: Oct 20, 2009 at 14:19 Quote
Alright, possibly look at the 09 session 88 FR? its more than capable of racing, but its a slightly more "freeridey" build. orpossibly a Demo 7?

Posted: Oct 20, 2009 at 19:51 Quote
Muttley wrote:
Alright, possibly look at the 09 session 88 FR? its more than capable of racing, but its a slightly more "freeridey" build. orpossibly a Demo 7?

There's an '09 Session at a sporting goods store by my house--it's been marked down to $3,800 from $6,000. I'd consider it but I think it's only a medium and I ride a large. Shame.

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2009 at 21:57 Quote
Most Dual link bikes will pedal better then a horst link 4-bar or a non 4-bar linkage. 4bar bikes depend heavily on shock platform technology to counter the low frequency effect that causes bob while pedaling...Examples of dual link bikes are Giant, Iron Horse, Turner, Ibis, pivot, Santa Cruz and Intense. Of that group the first 6 are very different then the last two in pedaling characteristics and their mechanics behind it. if you want a great pedaling bike that can bomb DH and are reliable,durable and low maintenence, Have a look at one of those.

Posted: Oct 21, 2009 at 5:42 Quote
giant faith. I ride this bike xc, dh, pedals very well. Mine is 42 lbs so not light but i have a stumpjumper(28 lbs) in the garage as well and never seem to want to leave the faith at home no matter where or what im riding. had the faith at blue mountain couple of times and out at whiteface in New York. White face is some of the most knarly rocks everywhere riding i have ever done and faith ate it up. just my .02

Posted: Oct 21, 2009 at 5:48 Quote
i also have a big hit, i go on 30k XC rides sometimes, i find if you put the rebound to minimum speed, you can pedal much better, just have to get a longer seat post, and its perfect Smile

Posted: Oct 21, 2009 at 15:17 Quote
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. I've been checking into all of them. In the end, though, I think I'll just throw an 11-34 cassette on a Demo 8 or a 951 and call it good.

OK, I probably won't do that, though I'm not positive it would be that bad nowadays. Most new race bikes clock in a couple of pounds lighter than my Big Hit anyway, and my current ride already bobs and wanders at will, so how much worse could it be? I feel like I could overlook a lot of very bad climbing traits for something that burns up descents.

Posted: Oct 21, 2009 at 16:57 Quote
Ironhorse Sunday
or
2010 Giant Glory

Basically the same frame and geometry, they just changed up the look a bit.

And it rides like a dream downhill, and you would be surprised how little you compromise going up, and just pedaling in general is a dream.

Obviously you would have to get a used sunday if you wanted one, but the glory is essentially the same frame

Posted: Oct 21, 2009 at 17:05 Quote
Knolly V-tach, that's the best pedalling 8 inch dually around. Check out the reviews...

Posted: Oct 21, 2009 at 17:27 Quote
Consider the santa cruz driver 8, its light, built like a v-10, but more trail friendly.

Posted: Oct 21, 2009 at 18:36 Quote
Your budget will greatly affect how you choose your future bike. Are you looking for frame only or complete? Would you want a possible front derailer or just deal with the big ring and guide? IF money isn't an option to this build, look at a Foes Fly. They pedal far better than 8" ever should and has the option of a front derailer, but they descend with all the confidence and style you would expect from Foes. Also they are a lot lighter than you would think (8.5 pounds with Curnutt Air shock AND brake arm assembly). They are a bit more freeride geo with a 67 degree head angle and higher standover, but for someone looking for a do everything no compromising completely awesome bike, that is definitely it. A decent used frame/shock should be around $1500 or so?

Posted: Oct 21, 2009 at 18:40 Quote
someone said an ironhorse sunday? for pedaling? I have never rode one that pedals up hill nice... and i have been on a few (not saying there CANT be one that does... i would like to see it though)

idont know how the 951 is as far as pedaling... but that would be a SIIICCKK bike to have. my dream bike!

i think the demo 7 is not a bad idea. my friend has a light demo 8 that pedals decent.

Posted: Oct 21, 2009 at 18:49 Quote
collin7 wrote:
someone said an ironhorse sunday? for pedaling? I have never rode one that pedals up hill nice... and i have been on a few (not saying there CANT be one that does... i would like to see it though)
Your serious?

They are known to be pedaling gods...

And yes i do own one.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.184419
Mobile Version of Website