Powered by Outside

Deciding on a Decent All Mountain Frame

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Deciding on a Decent All Mountain Frame
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 14:11 Quote
Ok, I'm looking to build a trail/all-mountain bike.
I don't know what bike...I'm looking at building a giant trance advanced but I feel like Im gonna blow through the 5" of travel with ease. Been looking at the Giant Reign (not the X) with 6" of travel but it weighs 30lbs stock! thats a LOT! Ibis is a nice candidate (the mojo) but i would like a tapered headtube...thats were the transition covert came to my mind. It has 6" of travel, tapered headtube, and doesn't cost and arm and a leg....BUT...Hows the weight on a covert build? The webpage says it can be built up @ 28lbs...but Can you go lower without putting ridiculous parts?

I ride a lot of XC stuff, dry weather, hard pack terrain, rocks, desert type terrain; And often fo to Noble Canyon down here in san diego. But would like to expand my riding to different types of terrain. I also have a XC hardtail bike I can use if the uphilling becomes a problem. This means I can have some tough parts but weight is really an issue...

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 14:16 Quote
You really have to decide how much you're up for spending. I've seen a Reign at 26.65 pounds And it could get lighter with ease. The frame itself is lighter than the Transition's. Hell, I'm building a Reign X and aiming for below 28lbs, that weight is no mean feat whatsoever on a lighter use all-mountain bike.

If you have/are willing to spend the moolah, then you just pick the frame that suits you best.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 14:44 Quote
One of my issues with the covert is the 3:1 compression ratio on the shock. It has 6" of travel from a 2" stroke shock. It is a nice looking frame but you might want to wait until the second year production run. What about the mojo HD, Remedy.

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 14:47 Quote
The Remedy's a very nice bike! I don't know what I have against trek, but I didn't like them...but now they are the sex! The remedy 9.8 is nice. 28 lbs...decent weight and price... But looking for a frame-only for me to really put some light concious parts on it and build it sub 27lbs.

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 14:49 Quote
The mojo HD is way too much for the terrain I ride on....
Even though is a pretty hot bike!
and I dont like that the mojo doesn't have a tapered headtube...maybe next years model? I'm really looking forward to buying a tapered fork.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 14:50 Quote
dhbomber wrote:
The Remedy's a very nice bike! I don't know what I have against trek, but I didn't like them...but now they are the sex! The remedy 9.8 is nice. 28 lbs...decent weight and price... But looking for a frame-only for me to really put some light concious parts on it and build it sub 27lbs.

if cost isnt too much of an issue what about Titus El Guapo now that would be my dream bike.

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 16:18 Quote
I rather steer away from fsr suspension....Personal Dislike.
I really like the Ibis Mojo...Even though it has 5.5 inches of travel...whats have an inch anyway...but I would like, as I said a tapered headtube.

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 16:19 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
One of my issues with the covert is the 3:1 compression ratio on the shock. It has 6" of travel from a 2" stroke shock. It is a nice looking frame but you might want to wait until the second year production run. What about the mojo HD, Remedy.

what do you mean with this??
Whats the difference...feel wise?
I don't have too much knowledge on suspension...

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 16:58 Quote
He means that since it has a huge leverage ratio, the frame´s travel puts a lot of stress on the shock. Maybe this will be an issue on the current model.

I am getting a 2010 Nomad since the 06 Slayer I had didn´t really live up to my expectations in regards to reliability.

Anyway, look into the Blur LT then.

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 22:32 Quote
Que onda thrice! Ya vi tu bici, esta chila wey!
LA santa cruz esta chingona, pero es que hay un wey que me consigue Giants bien baras!
Entonces ando viendo ahi que pedo! Pero la Covert me pasa un buen!

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 22:35 Quote
Check out the Santa Cruz Nomad, Norco Fluid, Specialized SX trail. All good bikes

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 22:38 Quote
I think you should go for the Trance! I have a Reign X now and it's pretty overkill.

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 22:46 Quote
foes makes a good AM

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 23:05 Quote
singlespeedtoday wrote:
I think you should go for the Trance! I have a Reign X now and it's pretty overkill.

Yeah I think a Reign X is pretty overkill....I mean...I don't ride a LOT of downhill were I live...So probably the Giant trance x carbon frame would be a decent choice...and because it's carbon, I can compensate on putting burlier All mountain parts on it...

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 23:28 Quote
What Do you guys think of this build?

Giant Trance X advanced Carbon Fiber Frame 5" travel
Chris King Headset BLUE
Rock Shox Revelation 150mm Dual Air Tapered steerer White
Thomson X4 70mm Stem
RaceFace SixC carbon handlebars
Shimano XTR shifters
Shimano XTR derrailleurs
Shimano XT (extra modulation) Disc Brakes 7" Rotor Front With Ti Bolts
Hope Pro2 Hubs 32h BLUE
Stans No Tubes Flow Rims WHITE
DT double butted spokes 14/15
Alloy Nipples BLUE
Kenda Nevegal 1-ply wire bead 2.3 Front, Folding 2.1 Back.
No tubes!
Shimano XTR cassette
Chris King Titanium Cassette Lock
KS suspension i900 adjustable Seatpost
Fizik Gobi XM Saddle WHITE

THAT right there is my dream (component wise) build!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010264
Mobile Version of Website