Bird Aeris owners thread

Posted: Apr 13, 2018 at 3:53 Quote
Bloggingfit wrote:
For those building their own AM9 frames up be careful as to which chainring offset you are using as clearance is quite tight.

I was wondering about that, as I’ve ordered a complete build but was thinking of swapping the Raceface boost cranks to my old XT non boost. Do you think it will be a issue?

Posted: Apr 13, 2018 at 5:34 Quote
Ozak42 wrote:
Bloggingfit wrote:
For those building their own AM9 frames up be careful as to which chainring offset you are using as clearance is quite tight.

I was wondering about that, as I’ve ordered a complete build but was thinking of swapping the Raceface boost cranks to my old XT non boost. Do you think it will be a issue?

Max size chainring that the frame will take is 32t so it could cause an issue if you're planning to use that size ring. My issue is that using a GXP crank and 32t ring with 6mm offset is no good and need to reduce to a 3mm offset. Luckily I have exactly that on a hardtail so a simple swap will let me know for sure.

Posted: Apr 13, 2018 at 8:23 Quote
Bloggingfit wrote:
Ozak42 wrote:
Bloggingfit wrote:

Max size chainring that the frame will take is 32t so it could cause an issue if you're planning to use that size ring. My issue is that using a GXP crank and 32t ring with 6mm offset is no good and need to reduce to a 3mm offset. Luckily I have exactly that on a hardtail so a simple swap will let me know for sure.

I was going to fit a 34T on a non boost crankset. Might have a play when I get it, maybe a couple of BB spacers will sort it.

Posted: Apr 13, 2018 at 9:21 Quote
Ozak42 wrote:
Bloggingfit wrote:
Ozak42 wrote:

I was going to fit a 34T on a non boost crankset. Might have a play when I get it, maybe a couple of BB spacers will sort it.
That might be pushing it but don't know until you try. A 32t with a 3mm offset works fine.

Posted: Apr 13, 2018 at 10:23 Quote
Cheers for the heads up

Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 1:52 Quote
Bloggingfit wrote:
Ozak42 wrote:
Bloggingfit wrote:

That might be pushing it but don't know until you try. A 32t with a 3mm offset works fine.

Cheers, good to hear as I have a 3mm offset ring on order.

Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 3:56 Quote
Build going a bit slow ATM. Had to order a few parts which held things up. Rear axle, seat clamp and stem are all pretty crucial for getting anything meaningful done. The rear axle on the Trek is longer than a standard boost axle due to the mounts being outside of the frame rather than screwing into the frame and was something I hadn't accounted for. I also forgot my current stem is too long and Bird don't supply a seat clamp with their frames unless you specify, which is fair enough.

Rear axle now sorted and for now I'm using the old stem to get things moving so as it stands the only things left to install is the rear brake, dropper post and replacement stem. Then a case of setting up rear mech, both sets of brakes, dropper and we're good to go. Already looking good and the raw looks to go well with my existing orange anodised parts.

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 8:02 Quote
**NON BOOST CRANKSET ON THE AERIS**

Just to clarify to others. I run my non-boost Saint M820 crankset on my bike w. 32T chainring and it gives a perfect chainline. It runs more quite than it did on my Zero AM and I have no problems with back pedaling on largest cog (Sram and KMC chains).

Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 19:00 Quote
Bloggingfit wrote:
Ozak42 wrote:
Bloggingfit wrote:

Is it well established that 32T is the largest chain ring you can use on an AM9? That seems like it could be to small for some parts of the world. Have others found the same thing?

Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 22:02 Quote
shortsguy1 wrote:
Bloggingfit wrote:
Ozak42 wrote:

Is it well established that 32T is the largest chain ring you can use on an AM9? That seems like it could be to small for some parts of the world. Have others found the same thing?
you would have thought so,with the cassettes nearly as big as the wheel now,I would have thought a 34 at the very least.

Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 23:55 Quote
shortsguy1 wrote:
Bloggingfit wrote:
Ozak42 wrote:

Yup, it's the max specified and I don't see anything bigger clearing the stay without using a 0mm offset GXP ring or spacing the crank out further.

Posted: Apr 18, 2018 at 5:46 Quote
Any further on with the build Bloggingfit?

My frame is now showing as in the build queue so hopefully it will be delivered pretty soon.

Edited: Just received an email saying the order is now completed – woohoo!

Posted: Apr 18, 2018 at 8:31 Quote
Pablo16v wrote:
Any further on with the build Bloggingfit?

My frame is now showing as in the build queue so hopefully it will be delivered pretty soon.

Edited: Just received an email saying the order is now completed – woohoo!

I too am in the build queue, but haven’t had an email yet. The wait is killing me

Posted: Apr 18, 2018 at 8:40 Quote
Nipped into Bird this morning to collect the last of the parts I needed. Everything is now assembled and just need to set up the X2 and perhaps take a couple more links out of the chain. Grabbing some food and will get some photos up in a bit.

Pablo, Ben grabbed a few frames and built them up on Monday so yours must be one off them. They also have a blue AM9 ding built with blue hope brakes and rotors if that is anyones.

Posted: Apr 18, 2018 at 9:59 Quote
Some quick photos of my AM9 build minus the Bird chainstay protector. Not sure on the orange fork decals yet. There were from my previous bike but not sure if they go well with this one although the X2 decals are the same orange. Thinking a grey to match the Bird decals or a silver to match in with the frame my look better.

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014498
Mobile Version of Website