Powered by Outside

Fox talas 36 RC2

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Fox talas 36 RC2
Posted: Aug 14, 2009 at 14:29 Quote
Yeah I know, I'm just laying out your options so you can make an informed decision.

O+
Posted: Aug 14, 2009 at 14:32 Quote
yes thank you very much for that, the advantages of the lyric though would be more travel, also thicker stantions.

Posted: Aug 17, 2009 at 3:24 Quote
jamismtber92 wrote:
Im sorry to gravedig and this is a bit off topic, but i recently changed my mind about a fox 36 and decided to go with either a RS lyric u-turn or a pike 454 air u turn, opinions?

my brodie has 117mm at the rear wheel and come with a pike. and then i put a talas on it. i rode it mostly at 130mm and it ripped. 160 was great when doing some freeride or DH trails but a littel too raked for flicking around trails.
not that the pike was a bad fork but the fox was that much stiffer and with a quicker on the fly travel adjust. i really felt it was worth the upgrade.

O+
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 at 9:45 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
jamismtber92 wrote:
Im sorry to gravedig and this is a bit off topic, but i recently changed my mind about a fox 36 and decided to go with either a RS lyric u-turn or a pike 454 air u turn, opinions?

my brodie has 117mm at the rear wheel and come with a pike. and then i put a talas on it. i rode it mostly at 130mm and it ripped. 160 was great when doing some freeride or DH trails but a littel too raked for flicking around trails.
not that the pike was a bad fork but the fox was that much stiffer and with a quicker on the fly travel adjust. i really felt it was worth the upgrade.
Ok man i think i'll go with the lyric, i kinda like hte idea of at least having 160 up front on the technical dh trails.

Posted: Aug 17, 2009 at 10:18 Quote
im selliny my fox 36 talas rc2 forks if anyone is interested

Posted: Sep 24, 2009 at 9:15 Quote
photo

heres a fox
and a little surprise with it.

Posted: Sep 24, 2009 at 20:53 Quote
yeah, where's your break? lol

freaky

Posted: Oct 16, 2009 at 22:09 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
DHsmurf wrote:
hey guys i was just wondering could you put the new RC2 shiz in an old 06 fox 36 talas R???

or could i buy the 08 or 09 lowers with the RC2 bit in em???

i dont think so. 06 is different to the the 07-09 lines. and u may find it will cost just the same to get a whole fork second hand as new parts are $$

I asked Fox the same question a while ago, and they replyed with this

[Quoten]Yes you can upgrade to the RC2 by replacing the R cartridge with an RC2 cartridge. You can also replace the Talas 1 system with a Talas 3 and get 160mm of travel verses the 150 of the 2006 model.

This can all be done however, you may want to consider putting the money towards a new Talas 36RC2 as replacing all these parts will be very expensive.

Joey Avila
Bicycle CSR/Aftermarket Sales
Fox Racing Shox
[/Quoten]

I really like the idea, the 'Loam' colour suits my bike like peas and carrots...

Posted: Feb 1, 2010 at 6:09 Quote
Hi, I just bought a 2009 RC2 off ebay, and I need some help here before I open a dispute with the seller and make myself look like a complete fool.

I intend to use it for dirtjumping, so the 100 mil position is really where I'll leave this fork at, most of the time anyway. I haven't installed it on the bike yet, but is it normal for it to pop back out to leave more than 120 mil of stanchion even when the lowest travel position is engaged, without any weight on it? I've tried pushing it into the 100 mark but to no avail will it stay there. I was hoping this deal would go smoothly, after all this is my first time splashing that much cash on an internet purchase.Frown

Do anyone of you gurus know what the problem might be, if there in fact is one?

Posted: Feb 1, 2010 at 11:41 Quote
yetidj wrote:
Hi, I just bought a 2009 RC2 off ebay, and I need some help here before I open a dispute with the seller and make myself look like a complete fool.

I intend to use it for dirtjumping, so the 100 mil position is really where I'll leave this fork at, most of the time anyway. I haven't installed it on the bike yet, but is it normal for it to pop back out to leave more than 120 mil of stanchion even when the lowest travel position is engaged, without any weight on it? I've tried pushing it into the 100 mark but to no avail will it stay there. I was hoping this deal would go smoothly, after all this is my first time splashing that much cash on an internet purchase.Frown

Do anyone of you gurus know what the problem might be, if there in fact is one?

I don't think that i have any recommendations on what you can do, but i know for sure that it isn't normal, mine stays at 100mm.

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2010 at 12:58 Quote
the travel increments are +/- 6mm. This means that the lowest position could be 94mm or 106mm or any where in between. The fork also will still have about 6mm of visible stanction when fully compressed. This means that you could have 112mm or so visable when in te lowest setting.

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 at 1:14 Quote
let the seller know your concern, but i would wait till you have it on the bike as trying to compression the fork by itself with your bare hands its just gonna give you pressure bruises, i know from first hand experience...
the talas system can be a bit fickle at 100mm. my 09 at 100mm is more like 115 but it still gets the sag correct. my 08 that needed replacing wouldnt sit at 100 and it was replaced free as it was a common problem. my brothers 08 looks to be doing the same after 2 years working 100%. I've also read not having the correct lube oil levels in each leg can contribute to problems with travel adjust and compression adjustments.

Posted: Mar 17, 2010 at 20:33 Quote
hey guys, I have a brand new fox 36 talas 09 and the travel adjust doesnt work good. It drops at 150 and 125 mm travel... I think the problem must be oil level in each leg, Am I right? I've heard fox doesnt put the correct oil level in those forks...

Posted: Mar 20, 2010 at 14:52 Quote
have you setup your air spring with correct "sag" for your body weight (should be about 20% of total fork travel)

back off the low speed and high speed compression

install a zip-tie on the stanchion, slide it down so it sits on the fork seal

sit on your bike without jumping on it, see how far the tie moves - if more than 20% you need more air pressure, if less you need less air pressure

when your air spring sag is correct you should be getting around 100-130-160 increments on the 3 talas positions

if not (you say your fork is new) you have a warranty through the retailer, take your fork back and ask for inspection / warranty

out of all the suspension brands, I'd trust Fox quality any day...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013031
Mobile Version of Website