Powered by Outside

Home Made Bikes

Posted: Feb 2, 2024 at 6:25 Quote
Here’s my first frame that I designed and made last summer.

Bronze welded with mixture of Reynolds 853/631 main tubes.

It does have two bottle cage mounts but I like to run a bumbag!!

photo

Posted: Feb 2, 2024 at 6:58 Quote
xp1 wrote:

photo
This is gorgeous
Super clean lines!

Posted: Feb 2, 2024 at 7:00 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
Nice work!!! Salute

+1. Reminds me of the Swarf 155.

O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2024 at 16:26 Quote
xp1 wrote:

Really well done. Weight? travel?

Posted: Feb 3, 2024 at 10:04 Quote
xp1 wrote:

photo

That looks amazingDrool

Posted: Feb 4, 2024 at 8:14 Quote
xp1 wrote:

photo

Awesome frame! Gives me REEB Steezl vibes!

Posted: Feb 4, 2024 at 12:11 Quote
xp1 wrote:

photo

Super nice, this looks a bit like a full suspended ESD (though not as slack).

But I think you're limited to shocks without piggyback (or short ones).

Posted: Feb 4, 2024 at 13:45 Quote
Thanks for all the kind words! I've uploaded a few more images onto my profile of the build.

Front triangle
photo

Geometry
photo

My favourite detail shot (ignore the cable tie as I should be fitting an internal routed post soon!!)
photo

The full bike came in at 15.8kg but it's running a coil fork and shock so it was never intended to be a lightweight. I chose the wheelset & tyres based on their weight as I believe that's a lot more important to how the bike feels than overall weight. The fully welded chainstay yoke is over 400g on its own so there's room for improvement there..!

I do have some nicer countersunk washers/bolts to replace the hardware that I need to get round to fitting as that will improve the overal quality of the build. Likewise, the aluminium rocker was only waterjet cut as I wanted to make sure I'd got my motion ratio right before commiting to a CNC'd part.

When I started the design process, I really liked the idea of having a continous line from the headtube to rear axle and I was against having any bent tubes so it took a few loops to get everything packaged. I always intended on fitting a coil shock and the Cane Creek Inline seemed like the perfect match so that's what it was designed around.

Posted: Feb 4, 2024 at 15:28 Quote
xp1 wrote:
Thanks for all the kind words! I've uploaded a few more images onto my profile of the build.

Front triangle
photo

Geometry
photo

My favourite detail shot (ignore the cable tie as I should be fitting an internal routed post soon!!)
photo

The full bike came in at 15.8kg but it's running a coil fork and shock so it was never intended to be a lightweight. I chose the wheelset & tyres based on their weight as I believe that's a lot more important to how the bike feels than overall weight. The fully welded chainstay yoke is over 400g on its own so there's room for improvement there..!

I do have some nicer countersunk washers/bolts to replace the hardware that I need to get round to fitting as that will improve the overal quality of the build. Likewise, the aluminium rocker was only waterjet cut as I wanted to make sure I'd got my motion ratio right before commiting to a CNC'd part.

When I started the design process, I really liked the idea of having a continous line from the headtube to rear axle and I was against having any bent tubes so it took a few loops to get everything packaged. I always intended on fitting a coil shock and the Cane Creek Inline seemed like the perfect match so that's what it was designed around.

Tell us more about this frame jig

photo

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2024 at 15:33 Quote
xp1 wrote:
The full bike came in at 15.8kg!

When I started the design process, I really liked the idea of having a continous line from the headtube.

lots of pretty bikes with that uninterrupted line along top tube and seatstay, good choice. 15.8 kg is a totally reasonable weight, especially for a v1 homemade steel brazed full sus. Lots of bikes on my group rides are heavier.

Seeing people making viable brazed full sus at home is really inspiring.

freestyIAM wrote:
Tell us more about this jig

good link for more info about building a jig from extruded aluminum https://www.instructables.com/The-simplest-bicycle-framebuilding-jig-I-could-com/

Posted: Feb 5, 2024 at 9:24 Quote
I designed the jig to be simple and compact as I’m working out of a tiny shed. I turned all the cones on a hobby lathe and had the rest of the parts water jet cut. It was designed to accommodate anything from a small road frame to a large mtb incase I decide to make any other frames!

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2024 at 10:29 Quote
DIY Reeb SST, very cool!

Posted: Mar 4, 2024 at 18:16 Quote
160mm travel enduro frame
160km travel enduro
linkage fusion360

6061 aluminum tubes. cnced linkage and other parts.
my earlier FS frame looked a bit 'busy' so I thought of toning it down in this one !

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.030173
Mobile Version of Website