Powered by Outside

Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Aug 10, 2019 at 23:01 Quote
switchback249 wrote:
and I hate seeing a $3-4k bike hanging in the garage with minimal use.
I'll probably stick with the hardtail this summer and see if I can get a deal on a frame this fall when the new bikes start coming in, try to build it up on the cheaper end haha..

In addition to deal hunting on a FS frame and parts, you could build one up without wheels and share your nice wheels between the bikes if thats what it takes to keep the hardtail. That way you feel less guilty about a full bike hanging unused as well. That's the approach I went with my Surface and Range 29. My Range really only comes out for bike park duties, its more bike than I need for 95% of my local riding, and when I am on the Range its ability to plow and smash the trail takes away from the technical engaging enjoyment I find in riding.

O+
Posted: Aug 11, 2019 at 4:40 Quote
SC38 wrote:
photo

photo

photo

I am so considering a Surface Ti. I have a 2016 Rootdown as my only bike and has been for a couple years.

What weight is your Surface Ti coming in at. How is the Ti with carbon wheels

O+
Posted: Aug 11, 2019 at 6:09 Quote
JesseE wrote:
SC38 wrote:
I do think that’s the key. Ride more. You’ll love whatever bike you are riding.

I'll never love a rigid bike again, no matter how much I ride it.

Agreed. I started on a 1993 Bianchi Osprey. Full rigid, cantilever brakes, narrow bars and XC/road bike inspired geometry. I loved the bike back then and it allowed me to develop my love for the sport. However, I have zero interest in trail riding a bike like that again.

O+
Posted: Aug 11, 2019 at 6:41 Quote
Fair enough point on the rigid bikeSmile

O+
Posted: Aug 11, 2019 at 8:07 Quote
SC38 wrote:

Haha

New hardtails are so good, I don't think I could even ride my newer trails on my old 90s bikes

Posted: Aug 11, 2019 at 8:24 Quote
JesseE wrote:
SC38 wrote:

Haha

New hardtails are so good, I don't think I could even ride my newer trails on my old 90s bikes

I feel like this is something that gets a bit overlooked. I did a shuttle ride with two friends on full suspension bikes. They and the shuttle guy were kinda giving me a hard time about “when are you finally gonna get a fully.”

I think people don’t realize just how capable these new hardtails are.

That being said, I am researching full suspension bikes for those bigger days. 48 years old, and I don’t bounce like I used to...

Los

O+
Posted: Aug 11, 2019 at 10:48 Quote
ronufoh wrote:
switchback249 wrote:
and I hate seeing a $3-4k bike hanging in the garage with minimal use.
I'll probably stick with the hardtail this summer and see if I can get a deal on a frame this fall when the new bikes start coming in, try to build it up on the cheaper end haha..

In addition to deal hunting on a FS frame and parts, you could build one up without wheels and share your nice wheels between the bikes if thats what it takes to keep the hardtail. That way you feel less guilty about a full bike hanging unused as well. That's the approach I went with my Surface and Range 29. My Range really only comes out for bike park duties, its more bike than I need for 95% of my local riding, and when I am on the Range its ability to plow and smash the trail takes away from the technical engaging enjoyment I find in riding.

Yeah, I've been thinking about sharing wheels etc. but then of course standards have changed and my Surface is non-boost so there's that..

All good feedback though, and much appreciated!

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 10:56 Quote
After a couple years on a 2016 Rootdown BA, size M, I just built up a M/L 2019 Rootdown. I'm 5'8" and, while the old M fit well, I wouldn't have wanted the top tube to be any shorter. Going to the M/L, I went from a 50 mm to a 40 mm stem, and I'm running the 51 mm offset Fox 36 at 150. The seated position is definitely more comfortable than my old bike.

Between the longer reach and slacker head angle, it took me a couple of turns to get used to the bigger bike. It definitely needs to be driven with more purpose through corners. However, where the old bike felt nervous and twitchy, the new bike feels calm and stable. I can push on the front end harder without the feeling that it's going to wash out. Overall, I think I'm a fan of the new bike, though I need a few more rides on it to be sure.

photo

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 13:27 Quote
Sharp looking bike.

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 13:32 Quote
Looks like fun. Love the green.

O+
Posted: Aug 18, 2019 at 16:52 Quote
I’ve had it out on two rides so far. Super fun.

photo

photo

Posted: Aug 18, 2019 at 22:32 Quote
Very clean build..Fab

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 9:13 Quote
Ranger242 wrote:
I’ve had it out on two rides so far. Super fun.

photo

I got some sweetwater pictures too!

Easy ride at Sweetwater

O+
Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 17:41 Quote
ndirienzo wrote:

I got some sweetwater pictures too!

Easy ride at Sweetwater

Cool! Not my favorite trail system but it is close and easy access for where I live. I do, however, love the scenery around that trail. I looked at your Rootdown (for sale) and contemplated it several times before I bought the Surface. In the end a large would have been a bit too big.

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 10:15 Quote
Hey guys, been lurking in this thread for a while and finally will be joining the owners club soon when my surface frame shows up! Im doing a custom build and have pretty much decided on all my parts except the fork. I know I want to run 150mm of travel just Curious as to what all of you are running for suspension? And also any reasons to go coil over air spring?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.025999
Mobile Version of Website