Bike Painting Guides and Pictures of Your Work

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Bike Painting Guides and Pictures of Your Work
O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2021 at 9:04 Quote
Sand back to carbon

Use a non etching primer (ideally 2 part)

Edit: also use a solid degreaser and a tac cloth before priming too!

That's about it... if you did a good job standing then no problems

O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2021 at 6:55 Quote
Looking to paint my steel frame Fargo from ugly sea foam green to something cooler. Also considering paint on my carbon Recluse, but that'll come second.

Just curious, why does everyone strip frames to bare carbon/metal, prime, then base/clear? My dad has been painting cars for 30-40yrs and obviously even nice paint jobs aren't always (or ever really) stripped to bare metal unless we're talking rust repair and the whole nine.

Silly question but are these Salsa logos just stickered on then cleared over? Was planning to just deep sand with 220 and go from there without the need to primer. Thoughts?

O+
Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 10:48 Quote
MTBShredda wrote:
Looking to paint my steel frame Fargo from ugly sea foam green to something cooler. Also considering paint on my carbon Recluse, but that'll come second.

Just curious, why does everyone strip frames to bare carbon/metal, prime, then base/clear? My dad has been painting cars for 30-40yrs and obviously even nice paint jobs aren't always (or ever really) stripped to bare metal unless we're talking rust repair and the whole nine.

Silly question but are these Salsa logos just stickered on then cleared over? Was planning to just deep sand with 220 and go from there without the need to primer. Thoughts?

The logos are probably painted on and then cleared over. I'm not aware of a large brand that uses decal stickers rather than paint except for very few exceptions on very specific bikes.

You go back to raw on a bike for a couple reasons... it can include weight but mostly includes the risk of reacting with old paint. If you're in the automotive world, you might be confident enough to know what type of paint the guy before you used so you can avoid any problems in the future. This sometimes isn't the case on bikes. I have seen people posting stuff on bikes on instagram or wherever asking for advice, and the clear problem is that there's a reaction between two different kinds of paint.

Whether or not you want to bother going to primer is a question of how risk averse you are I suppose.

Posted: Jan 17, 2021 at 14:52 Quote
Latest project is a 2015 Reign for my wife. Behr rattlecans and Spraymax 2k matte clear.

photo

Posted: Feb 13, 2021 at 23:33 Quote
Dunkz wrote:
Thanks.

I got Christmas out the way then spent today painting the fork to match. The yellow is a 2 stage pearl, I painted the fox graphics with an airbrush and the rest of the yellow on the crown & frame of the bike with a normal gun. I've not managed to replicate the yellow with the airbrush very well but it's close enough.

photo

Wow that looks amazing...

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 at 15:00 Quote
undertheradar wrote:
Latest project is a 2015 Reign for my wife. Behr rattlecans and Spraymax 2k matte clear.

photo

Really like that man.

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 at 15:23 Quote
raidenCZE wrote:
Dunkz wrote:
Thanks.

I got Christmas out the way then spent today painting the fork to match. The yellow is a 2 stage pearl, I painted the fox graphics with an airbrush and the rest of the yellow on the crown & frame of the bike with a normal gun. I've not managed to replicate the yellow with the airbrush very well but it's close enough.

photo
Cant wait for whole bike pic!

Likewise!!

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 at 16:02 Quote
undertheradar wrote:

photo

looking good, love the color. Makes me want to do one of my bikes but knowing it will not turn out that good I'll just leave it.

Posted: Mar 23, 2021 at 3:24 Quote
Alright chaps, some great looking work over last few pages tup

Quick question, when painting a steel frame that's been blast cleaned raw.......are you treating it with anything prior to paint? Zinc spray inside and outside?

Cheers, Mark

Posted: Mar 23, 2021 at 8:14 Quote
some refresh for an old Klien Rascal numbered as a topgun. While stripping it down; we discovered it was originally magenta/black fade
rebirth of the Rascal

O+
Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 20:59 Quote
Here's a bit of a work in progress. Not happy with the final finish but I'm going to ride it for a month or two to test the durability. Then it's back we go.

photo

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 23:48 Quote
j-t-g wrote:
Here's a bit of a work in progress. Not happy with the final finish but I'm going to ride it for a month or two to test the durability. Then it's back we go.

photo

Loving the mint colorway...

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 0:41 Quote
where can i get frame stickers,ie i want some Bianchi stickers for when i have my bike resprayed.
uk please

Posted: Aug 13, 2021 at 21:34 Quote
Somehow I've managed to sign myself up to do a coast to coast cycle for charity in a few weeks time. I built myself a road bike up last year from bits I found on ebay including a scabby old steel frame as an attempt to improve my mountain bike fitness but its not really seen much use. I saw this as a good opportunity to give it a tidy up and paint before hand but on getting the frame stripped it seems to be the lightweight version. I'm hoping its gonna make the journey as it looks like it'll be getting retired as soon as I finish.

https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/Team/BPCoast2Coast121
If anyone is feeling particularly generous they're more than welcome to sponsor me.

Anyway, I was going to do something a bit more fancy with the design but as its knackered I didn't want to waste too much time on it so i just did something simple. I thought I'd make myself up some logos while I was at it, quite enjoying painting bikes.

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 3:54 Quote
photo

Don't think I ever posted a photo of this built up but I finished it years ago. It's held up really well over a few years of riding with a few small scratches and rub marks but it's a design that lends itself well to hiding imperfections lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022664
Mobile Version of Website