Post your All Mountain bike!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Post your All Mountain bike!
Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 9:22 Quote
Nobble wrote:
ninjatarian wrote:
twonsarelli wrote:

that actually sounds like an issue with the frame flexing, not an issue of the cranks not flexing. either way, looks rad!

I actually had a similar issue with my V3 Ripley so I ended up adding a spacer to the BB which, with shimano cranks, worked fine. I think its more an issue with modern 29ers- short chain stays & wide tires don't allow for a lot of clearance for the crank arm and chain ring, which is why I think brands like Transition still limit their frames to 2.4 tires.

SB+ / 157 is supposed to help alleviate this since the chain line is moved out and Q factor wider on SB+ cranksets (it's not just a different hub, like some people think).
IFAIK there's no such thing as super boost cranks, they just run the chainring flipped so it's offset out. Is someone now advertising SB cranks?

The original marketing for SB was that it let you run a 157 rear hub and didn't require a larger q-factor.

Shimano has SB+ cranks, they use the same chain ring. the "30" designation is their SB+ cranks, so 9130, 8130, etc.

"Q factor
Due to the wider dropouts and chainstays, and to meet the required 56 mm chain line manufactures had to engineer wider cranksets for Super Boost Plus frames. The result is a bigger Q factor – the distance from the outside of one crank arm to the outside of the other crank arm. The bigger the Q factor, the wider apart your feet are on the pedals. With a standard 93 mm press-fit or 73 mm threaded bottom bracket, the Q factor of a Super Boost Plus bike sits at 173-177 mm, compared to 168-177 mm on a Boost 148 bike..."

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/super-boost-plus-standard/

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 9:24 Quote
^^ Something else to pitch in here, the actual reason you can get drive side contact under pedaling is that you're "pulling" the rear of the bike forward with forces through the chain (so it will happen on left pedal down stroke), flexing wherever the frame is laterally weak (usually the pivot or cs yokes on a hardtail). My observations were that crank stiffness seems to compound forces in this respect--so in other words power transfer is better, or too good, depending on how you look at it.

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 9:42 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
Nobble wrote:
ninjatarian wrote:

I actually had a similar issue with my V3 Ripley so I ended up adding a spacer to the BB which, with shimano cranks, worked fine. I think its more an issue with modern 29ers- short chain stays & wide tires don't allow for a lot of clearance for the crank arm and chain ring, which is why I think brands like Transition still limit their frames to 2.4 tires.

SB+ / 157 is supposed to help alleviate this since the chain line is moved out and Q factor wider on SB+ cranksets (it's not just a different hub, like some people think).
IFAIK there's no such thing as super boost cranks, they just run the chainring flipped so it's offset out. Is someone now advertising SB cranks?

The original marketing for SB was that it let you run a 157 rear hub and didn't require a larger q-factor.

Shimano has SB+ cranks, they use the same chain ring. the "30" designation is their SB+ cranks, so 9130, 8130, etc.

"Q factor
Due to the wider dropouts and chainstays, and to meet the required 56 mm chain line manufactures had to engineer wider cranksets for Super Boost Plus frames. The result is a bigger Q factor – the distance from the outside of one crank arm to the outside of the other crank arm. The bigger the Q factor, the wider apart your feet are on the pedals. With a standard 93 mm press-fit or 73 mm threaded bottom bracket, the Q factor of a Super Boost Plus bike sits at 173-177 mm, compared to 168-177 mm on a Boost 148 bike..."

classic shimano... lol

From Pivot (the guys who pioneered it)
bigquotesSuper Boost Plus 157 uses the existing chainline developed for DH bikes but uses standard trailbike BB widths and crank combinations to take 29” and Plus bike performance to the next level. The current Boost 148 standard moves the drivetrain out 3mm (providing 6mm more tire clearance) which is perfect for XC, and 27.5” enduro bikes, but it did not go far enough to meet the rapidly evolving 29” trail, enduro and 27.5”+ bike needs. Super Boost Plus 157 takes the concept further and optimizes it for 29” trail, enduro and Plus bikes by moving the drivetrain out a full 6mm (with a 12mm tire clearance gain) while maintaining the same Q factor (crank width) and heel clearance of our Boost 148 equipped bikes. Super Boost Plus 157 is a highly optimized combination of existing standards and technologies with a totally ridiculous (but highly descriptive) name. The Super Boost Plus 157 idea has enabled us to build the Firebird 29 with a level of performance previously unattainable with any other 29” or 27.5”+ enduro bike in the market.

O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 9:48 Quote
photo

Posted this before maybe. Hopefully have another bike joining the stable today or tomorrow

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 9:50 Quote
I can't see those new Banshee's and not see an old Giant Reign lol

O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 9:52 Quote
Meh i always thought the old glory was pretty sick so i don't mind when that comparison is made. Geo is better than anything else out there right now.

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 9:52 Quote
Nobble wrote:
I can't see those new Banshee's and not see an old Giant Reign lol

Glory hole's back!

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 9:53 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
Meh i always thought the old glory was pretty sick so i don't mind when that comparison is made. Geo is better than anything else out there right now.
I never said it was a bad thing, it was more of an observation than a dig at your bike.

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 9:58 Quote
Nobble wrote:
ninjatarian wrote:
Nobble wrote:

"Q factor

classic shimano... lol

From Pivot (the guys who pioneered it)
bigquotesSuper Boost Plus 157 uses the existing chainline developed for DH bikes but uses standard trailbike BB widths and crank combinations to take 29” and Plus bike performance to the next level. The current Boost 148 standard moves the drivetrain out 3mm (providing 6mm more tire clearance) which is perfect for XC, and 27.5” enduro bikes, but it did not go far enough to meet the rapidly evolving 29” trail, enduro and 27.5”+ bike needs. Super Boost Plus 157 takes the concept further and optimizes it for 29” trail, enduro and Plus bikes by moving the drivetrain out a full 6mm (with a 12mm tire clearance gain) while maintaining the same Q factor (crank width) and heel clearance of our Boost 148 equipped bikes. Super Boost Plus 157 is a highly optimized combination of existing standards and technologies with a totally ridiculous (but highly descriptive) name. The Super Boost Plus 157 idea has enabled us to build the Firebird 29 with a level of performance previously unattainable with any other 29” or 27.5”+ enduro bike in the market.

Yeah, I had to take a crash course in it since my new bike uses it, so I am far from an expert, but its what I found in my digging.

I think the plus side to the Shimano solution is that it uses the same chain rings, so I can still use my Absolute Black oval which was not cheap but also doesn't maintain any re-sale value.

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 9:59 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Some slightly less terrible photos.

5010 currently

Love that colour dude. What bar are you running?

O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 10:09 Quote
Nobble wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
I never said it was a bad thing, it was more of an observation than a dig at your bike.

I know! Beer just saying i liked those old glorys. Especially the ones around i think 2009-2010, with the shock exposed on the bottom of the downtube. Ive had people ask me how old my Giant is out on the trails so its a common thought haha

O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 10:10 Quote
sherbet wrote:
5010 currently

What kind of bars are those? Got the MT-BMX vibe down for sure.

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 10:55 Quote
Spank Spoon 60mm rise. She's a bit too tall right now admittedly.

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 10:57 Quote
One of the few times tan walls work. Dope rig sherb Salute

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 10:58 Quote
Thanks y'all. Fab Can't wait to get out with it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013890
Mobile Version of Website