2022 Epic Evo

PB Forum :: Specialized
2022 Epic Evo
Posted: Apr 28, 2022 at 21:54 Quote
Quick question on flip-chip
1) the Geo chart doesn't make sense, if you add the BB height and drop for High and Low they aren't equal. Looks like drop for low should be 42mm and the high should be 36mm( their published docs are 36mm drop Low, 42mm drop High). I may be missing something but if they're Geo wrong it's made its way into all their published docs and reviews etc without anyone noticing? Am I going crazy or have they screwed up?
2) anyone done some back to back runs adjusting the flip chip, I've been running high since I built it to avoid pedal strikes but have noticed it seems a bit twitchy on faster downhills. Will flipping low make any real difference?

Posted: May 8, 2022 at 9:51 Quote
just a thought..my Epic Evo Expert has the Sid Select+ as standard on it...

What do you guys think bout replacing it with the Fox 34 130mm with Grip2 and setting the flip-chip on the rear to the high position to counteract the more open fork angle?

How would the ride change in your opinion ?

Or would a 120mm FOX be a better choice and any improvement over the SID ?

And a 130mm Pike?

O+
Posted: May 8, 2022 at 11:59 Quote
musso wrote:
just a thought..my Epic Evo Expert has the Sid Select+ as standard on it...

What do you guys think bout replacing it with the Fox 34 130mm with Grip2 and setting the flip-chip on the rear to the high position to counteract the more open fork angle?

How would the ride change in your opinion ?

Or would a 120mm FOX be a better choice and any improvement over the SID ?

And a 130mm Pike?

Upgrade the SID to the Charger 2 Race Day damper for less than $300...

https://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/models/fs-upk-chrd-a1

Personally, i'm on a 140mm Fox 34, zero issues. It only slackened the HTA out 1 degree, down to 65.5, It steers just as fast as any XC bike, not slow or lazy.

O+
Posted: May 10, 2022 at 9:07 Quote
Hey all, Has anybody ridden both the epic evo and the new stumpjumper- they seem pretty close. Do you notice a significant difference in feel on the trail? or in speed on the climbs?

Posted: May 11, 2022 at 2:03 Quote
Daray wrote:
Hey all, Has anybody ridden both the epic evo and the new stumpjumper- they seem pretty close. Do you notice a significant difference in feel on the trail? or in speed on the climbs?

plenty of videos on Youtube comparing both bikes..

intersting that the Epic Evo on a mixed trail which includes technical climbing, flowing singletrack and some technical descending it is generally faster than the Stumpjumper...the Stumpjumper would only be at an advantage on steep rough descents...nowhere else.

O+
Posted: May 11, 2022 at 5:32 Quote
Daray wrote:

Owned a 22' SJ and sold it for a Epic Evo.

Like Musso said, the Epic Evo is about as good as it gets on single track trails. The SJ has an advantage of longer travel when the going gets more rough. But frankly, the Epic Evo handles everything I normally ride so well that I don't see the need for a SJ. The Epic Evo does make you pick better lines instead of giving you a false sense of security and bombing down a janky rock garden, holding on for life. lol

Posted: May 15, 2022 at 9:39 Quote
Hey.

Iv just got a 22 comp. Iv had 2 spins on it. The rear end is making an insane amount of creaking noises under pedalling. Any tips before I start pulling stuff apart ???

When Im stopped, I apply the front brake and push down on the pedals (not hard) and I get the creaking also. Its a brand new bike with brand new pedals also, greased and torqued properly. I also put my own tyres on out of the box. I noticed they had the rear axle in super super tight. I think they jumped on it while tightening.

Theres plenty of grease around the bb and headset areas. Could it be the SRAM UDH torqued on to tight ???

Thanks, Ray

O+
Posted: May 15, 2022 at 13:16 Quote
Take it back to the shop you bought it. Sounds like it may be a bottom bracket.

Posted: May 15, 2022 at 22:52 Quote
could very easily be the cassette not being tight enough...

O+
Posted: May 17, 2022 at 12:47 Quote
Simann wrote:
Daray wrote:

Owned a 22' SJ and sold it for a Epic Evo.

Like Musso said, the Epic Evo is about as good as it gets on single track trails. The SJ has an advantage of longer travel when the going gets more rough. But frankly, the Epic Evo handles everything I normally ride so well that I don't see the need for a SJ. The Epic Evo does make you pick better lines instead of giving you a false sense of security and bombing down a janky rock garden, holding on for life. lol

Thanks, I've got a new 22 SJ and I like it, but I also have an Enduro, THe stumpy feels super light by comparison and very nimble, but I've now been wondering if I wouldn't rather have the Evo to ride when I'm going XC adn then just take the Enduro when the lines are going to be bigger.

Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 11:51 Quote
Picking up a '21 Sworks EE frame at the end of the month, I wanna run AXS xo1 on it. This will be my first frame up build, school me on what bottom bracket I need and what cranks I should be running. Links would be greatly appriciated.

O+
Posted: Jun 7, 2022 at 17:59 Quote
Daray wrote:

I own both and would say there is a fairly significant difference in how they ride.

The Epic Evo is so light feeling. Right from the first pedal stroke (and I say this without exaggeration) you can feel it’s different. It climbs with ease, clears switchbacks with ease. It’s excellent on slow features up and down. You can pretty much pedal it all day and not feel tired. It’s fun to ride even on gravel roads or very light trails.

I find I am almost always in one gear harder than I am on my Stumpjumper. It pedals that well. But on anything rough, even over fairly light rocks and roots, you definitely feel it. You have to pick your lines. It’s definitely not a bike that just ploughs through things. But on the right singletrack I’ve never ridden anything like it.

The Stumpjumper to me feels and looks like the absolute ideal trail bike. It just feels like a traditional mountain bike when you get on it and ride. And I mean that in the best possible way. It’s still an incredibly light frame (the carbon of course) and still climbs and pedals so well. But there’s no way you could try to claim it pedals or climbs anything like the EE.

But is it ever smooth! It’s so comfortable to ride. It’s really quite amazing that a bike that climbs and pedals so well can soak up bumps like it does. And unlike the Epic Evo, the Stumpjumper really can plow through some pretty harsh terrain. Point-and-shoot and it goes. It really is a phenomenal all around trail bike.

I think it depends on how and where you ride. They could both easily be your only bike depending on your trails.

O+
Posted: Jun 7, 2022 at 21:26 Quote
jon123rjk wrote:
Daray wrote:

I own both and would say there is a fairly significant difference in how they ride.

The Epic Evo is so light feeling. Right from the first pedal stroke (and I say this without exaggeration) you can feel it’s different. It climbs with ease, clears switchbacks with ease. It’s excellent on slow features up and down. You can pretty much pedal it all day and not feel tired. It’s fun to ride even on gravel roads or very light trails.

I find I am almost always in one gear harder than I am on my Stumpjumper. It pedals that well. But on anything rough, even over fairly light rocks and roots, you definitely feel it. You have to pick your lines. It’s definitely not a bike that just ploughs through things. But on the right singletrack I’ve never ridden anything like it.

The Stumpjumper to me feels and looks like the absolute ideal trail bike. It just feels like a traditional mountain bike when you get on it and ride. And I mean that in the best possible way. It’s still an incredibly light frame (the carbon of course) and still climbs and pedals so well. But there’s no way you could try to claim it pedals or climbs anything like the EE.

But is it ever smooth! It’s so comfortable to ride. It’s really quite amazing that a bike that climbs and pedals so well can soak up bumps like it does. And unlike the Epic Evo, the Stumpjumper really can plow through some pretty harsh terrain. Point-and-shoot and it goes. It really is a phenomenal all around trail bike.

I think it depends on how and where you ride. They could both easily be your only bike depending on your trails.

Thanks for the feedback! I feel like the stumpjumper is far more capable than I’m giving it credit. I need to push it a bit.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.031633
Mobile Version of Website