Powered by Outside

Fox talas 36 RC2

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Fox talas 36 RC2
O+
Posted: Mar 20, 2010 at 15:27 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:

install a zip-tie on the stanchion, slide it down so it sits on the fork seal

sit on your bike without jumping on it, see how far the tie moves - if more than 20% you need more air pressure, if less you need less air pressure

Once you get your proper sag figured out be sure to remove the zip tie. They catch dirt like crazy and work like a little ring of sand paper on your forks.

Posted: Mar 20, 2010 at 20:56 Quote
ok thanks guys but you both thinks that sag will really solve that problem?

O+
Posted: Mar 20, 2010 at 22:11 Quote
perhaps not, but proper fork set up is the first step.

Posted: Mar 21, 2010 at 11:17 Quote
Once you get your proper sag figured out be sure to remove the zip tie. They catch dirt like crazy and work like a little ring of sand paper on your forks.

good point!!

and when you remove the zip tie DON'T use a knife / blade - carefully use a pair of quality cable cutter and cut the tie's locking mechanism (the square block) whilst avoiding the surface of the fork stanchion

Posted: Mar 21, 2010 at 11:23 Quote
Ok thanks again guys.

Posted: Mar 22, 2010 at 1:26 Quote
Got the bike out today for a ride to a mates 3miles away on the road and thought I would take advantage of the travel adjust. I turned the blue know 2 clicks and pushed the forks down to "lock" them down to 100mm. Got to the mates 25min later after jumping off a few curbs to realise the forks had extended back to the full. I thought nothing of it and had a cuppa and a chat. Got back to the bike to go home and thought if I just push the forks down they will adjust back to 100mm as before but they did not. I moved the dial back to 160mm and then back again to 100mm depressing the forks each time but no luck. I did notice that at the 100mm setting the rebound was really slow and then back to normal at 160mm.

My questions are many but first off:

1. Would perhaps jumping off a few normal curbs to my mates perhaps blown a seal? If so I had no noises or experienced no rapid rebound.

2. On my way home I popped into a LBS not my LBS but one I have used before and asked what they thought. I was told that the travel adjust knob shuts off a little valve that only allows the travel to go so far and that I may have blown an o-ring more than likely or perhaps a one way valve. The chap was not very sure.

3. I have had them about a year and not done many miles c100 and today for the first time gave them a service and noted that there was not as much oil inside as I put back so was wondering if this could be the problem..I have not yet reassembled the bike so can’t answer the question myself but thought low oil may be the problem but then why did they adjust first off on my trip to the mates.

4. Anyone else have this problem before.

Many thanks

Posted: Mar 22, 2010 at 5:41 Quote
faith1rider wrote:

yes and no

the fork should set to 160, 130 and 100mm +/- 5mm regardless of how much air you have in it - you dont measure the travel when you're sitting on the thing. pressure or a few pumps into the travel is needed to set them at 100 or 130.

unfortunately they can be a fickle fork and off limits for all but them best home mechanics. if you think you have the sag right (error on the lower side) and the compression sorted ( start with hi-ish low speed and low hi speed) and you're not blown away with the performance on the trails i would find a shop with good expertise in the heavy hitting end of mtbiking.

Posted: Mar 22, 2010 at 5:45 Quote
Warrenpfo wrote:
Got the bike out today for a ride to a mates 3miles away on the road and thought I would take advantage of the travel adjust. I turned the blue know 2 clicks and pushed the forks down to "lock" them down to 100mm. Got to the mates 25min later after jumping off a few curbs to realise the forks had extended back to the full. I thought nothing of it and had a cuppa and a chat. Got back to the bike to go home and thought if I just push the forks down they will adjust back to 100mm as before but they did not. I moved the dial back to 160mm and then back again to 100mm depressing the forks each time but no luck. I did notice that at the 100mm setting the rebound was really slow and then back to normal at 160mm.

My questions are many but first off:

1. Would perhaps jumping off a few normal curbs to my mates perhaps blown a seal? If so I had no noises or experienced no rapid rebound.

2. On my way home I popped into a LBS not my LBS but one I have used before and asked what they thought. I was told that the travel adjust knob shuts off a little valve that only allows the travel to go so far and that I may have blown an o-ring more than likely or perhaps a one way valve. The chap was not very sure.

3. I have had them about a year and not done many miles c100 and today for the first time gave them a service and noted that there was not as much oil inside as I put back so was wondering if this could be the problem..I have not yet reassembled the bike so can’t answer the question myself but thought low oil may be the problem but then why did they adjust first off on my trip to the mates.

4. Anyone else have this problem before.

Many thanks

had that problem but only that it wouldnt sit at 100mm only 130 and 160. the air spring had to be replaced...
a simple oil change could sort it, or a rebuild with new seals and o-rings.

Posted: Mar 22, 2010 at 11:24 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
faith1rider wrote:

yes and no

the fork should set to 160, 130 and 100mm +/- 5mm regardless of how much air you have in it - you dont measure the travel when you're sitting on the thing. pressure or a few pumps into the travel is needed to set them at 100 or 130.

unfortunately they can be a fickle fork and off limits for all but them best home mechanics. if you think you have the sag right (error on the lower side) and the compression sorted ( start with hi-ish low speed and low hi speed) and you're not blown away with the performance on the trails i would find a shop with good expertise in the heavy hitting end of mtbiking.

Ok here is the deal. When I compress the fork all the way down to put it at 100, it sit at 120-125...Then if I want to raise up to 130 I cant... I have to go all the way up to 160... And finally, if I want to go 160 to 130mm, it will sit at 150...
Its pretty f*cked.

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2010 at 21:07 Quote
Im also looking for a fox 36 fork like a Fox Van RC2 is it any good

Posted: Aug 3, 2010 at 21:18 Quote
Otang wrote:

Yes.

Posted: Aug 5, 2010 at 21:47 Quote
voltagerider wrote:
Otang wrote:

Yes.

word

Posted: Aug 6, 2010 at 13:00 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
voltagerider wrote:
Otang wrote:

Yes.

word

but I just noticed you have talas RC2... You dont like it??

Posted: Aug 6, 2010 at 13:07 Quote
nathanbalsdon wrote:
hampsteadbandit wrote:

sit on your bike without jumping on it, see how far the tie moves - if more than 20% you need more air pressure, if less you need less air pressure

how many inches is 20 percent

Posted: Aug 6, 2010 at 13:59 Quote
tacobell123 wrote:
nathanbalsdon wrote:
hampsteadbandit wrote:

how many inches is 20 percent

1 1/4 inch

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011366
Mobile Version of Website