Powered by Outside

40 vs 36 for downhill

PB Forum :: Downhill
40 vs 36 for downhill
Posted: May 25, 2009 at 17:11 Quote
etie-11 wrote:
My choice would definently be the totem. But if you have a smooth riding style go for the 36. Go for the 40 if you like going straight in the gnar and if youre going to get a real dh frame. Just for the record , im pretty sure brendog rode at sea otter dh with a boXXer on an sxt.

ya i say a picture of Sam Hill's nex SXT with a boxxer on it. but can boxxers be lowered?

Posted: May 25, 2009 at 17:47 Quote
boxxer WCs are adjustable for sure

Posted: May 25, 2009 at 18:49 Quote
Sea otter DH sucks with duel crowns. Rather rock the 36, it would suit the cource better.

O+
Posted: May 26, 2009 at 14:11 Quote
dyalnger9 wrote:
Sea otter DH sucks with duel crowns. Rather rock the 36, it would suit the cource better.
I totally agree but im sure I saw a pick of brendan with a boxxer on it.

O+
Posted: May 26, 2009 at 14:31 Quote
the sx trail is not a downhill bike, it has 6 inches of travel.
put an 8 inch dual crown downhill fork on the bike would be retarded, it would be able to handle harsher impacts yes, but at the cost of making your bike feel like shit.

the 36 is a great fork its light weight, it feels good, and it suits the bike, but if you've been killing your 55, you may want to look for something slightly heavier as 36's from my experience aren't the toughest fork ever and need a fair bit of maintenance especially if your really beating on them.

my advice to you is to get a totem, strong, relatively light, and it will be able to take all the abuse you can throw at it without raking your bike out and making it feel like shit.

Posted: May 26, 2009 at 14:43 Quote
g-off7 wrote:
put an 8 inch dual crown downhill fork on the bike would be retarded, it would be able to handle harsher impacts yes, but at the cost of making your bike feel like shit.

my advice to you is to get a totem, strong, relatively light, and it will be able to take all the abuse you can throw at it without raking your bike out and making it feel like shit.
A totem has a 3mm higher a2c than a boxxer. Not sure about the 40's, but a totem and boxxer will give almost identical geo.

Posted: May 26, 2009 at 15:42 Quote
truffles wrote:
g-off7 wrote:

A totem has a 3mm higher a2c than a boxxer. Not sure about the 40's, but a totem and boxxer will give almost identical geo.
oh snap! i did not know that, thank you for enlightening me. i think the 40 would be pretty much the same.

O+
Posted: May 26, 2009 at 17:02 Quote
neither did I actually Facepalm
however ive got a friend with a totem on his sx its been good to him and it doesnt feel raked in the slighest.

Posted: May 31, 2009 at 15:16 Quote
you can always lower the 40...

Posted: May 31, 2009 at 15:22 Quote
I have the sx trail 1 same as yours and i put on a totem. It is pretty much exacly what your looking for i think.

Posted: May 31, 2009 at 15:28 Quote
It comes down to whether you want that little bit of extra travel and your preference on single or dual clamp.

Posted: Jun 1, 2009 at 7:04 Quote
gooieshred wrote:
truffles wrote:
g-off7 wrote:

oh snap! i did not know that, thank you for enlightening me. i think the 40 would be pretty much the same.

correction: the sx trail is a 7 (seven) inch bike and ive need a handful with dual crowns all 170mm or lowered to 7 inch

Posted: Jun 1, 2009 at 13:06 Quote
That-Norco-Dude wrote:
gooieshred wrote:
truffles wrote:

correction: the sx trail is a 7 (seven) inch bike and ive need a handful with dual crowns all 170mm or lowered to 7 inch

167mm to be exct for the sx trail

Posted: Jun 1, 2009 at 13:13 Quote
sam hill ran boxxer WC's on his SX trail and raced it in sea ottar, that's cause the course was basically a short xc track.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013374
Mobile Version of Website