Bike Painting Guides and Pictures of Your Work

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Bike Painting Guides and Pictures of Your Work
O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 6:19 Quote
That's pretty good all together - I bet you get a ton of attention and quite a few friendly jokes flung your way.

Posted: Oct 31, 2021 at 18:29 Quote
Painted my remedy white, automotive paint. Only one decal under the clearcoat.
Before
photo
After
photo
photo

O+
Posted: Nov 1, 2021 at 17:48 Quote
I respect a guy willing to strip back a bike with a lifetime warranty and do his own thing.

Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 8:59 Quote
Hi guys,

I wanted to spray my DJ frame over summer but unfortunately never got round to it. Would be done with rattle cans like the dmr bolt I did last year which turned out great imo.

If I sprayed it during winter (in the UK) what do I need to ensure I do to retain a good finish?
I sprayed my previous frame outside in summer when it was a dry and no wind. I understand the temperature can greatly affect the adhesion and chemical process of the paint.

I know I'm probably best to wait until summer or spring at least but I'm impatient so would like to know if it's possible without a proper set up.

Thanks

Posted: Nov 17, 2021 at 0:00 Quote
Unless you have a heated garage, or enclosure, I'd wait until the weather warms up. If I'm using a rattle can, I like the ambient temp to be at least 73 Fahrenheit. And then I will heat a sauce pan of water just before the boiling point, and put the can in it for about 2 to 3 mins or so, when the can feels warm, the remove, shake well and begin painting. Heating the paint will help it flow much better.

Posted: Jun 18, 2022 at 14:15 Quote
Hammer48 wrote:
Unless you have a heated garage, or enclosure, I'd wait until the weather warms up. If I'm using a rattle can, I like the ambient temp to be at least 73 Fahrenheit. And then I will heat a sauce pan of water just before the boiling point, and put the can in it for about 2 to 3 mins or so, when the can feels warm, the remove, shake well and begin painting. Heating the paint will help it flow much better.

Thanks for your suggestion dude. I was patient and waited until we had a couple of very hot days in the UK last week to spray the DJ frame as I can only do it outside.
Been a few days letting it all dry/cure and I have since polished it and built the bike up with no signs of orange peel!!
So stoked as I had a couple areas areas of orange peel on the DMR bolt I sprayed a long while using the exact same paint.

photo
photo

Posted: Jun 18, 2022 at 22:52 Quote
harry2601 wrote:
Hammer48 wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion dude. I was patient and waited until we had a couple of very hot days in the UK last week to spray the DJ frame as I can only do it outside.
Been a few days letting it all dry/cure and I have since polished it and built the bike up with no signs of orange peel!!
So stoked as I had a couple areas areas of orange peel on the DMR bolt I sprayed a long while using the exact same paint.

photo
photo

Looks great, nice work.

Posted: Mar 14, 2023 at 22:17 Quote
photo
[/[PI=24375986]
PI]
photo
photo
photo
photo
dream bulid

Posted: Apr 2, 2023 at 3:30 Quote
dagzin wrote:
I would say contaminated area, unfortunately it won’t buff out.

Has it been lacquer yet?

--//--
I would agree that it is contaminated, but I would add that it seems that you also rushed it. If you worked slower/a little drier, if you will, it most likely would not react quite as much as it did.

I hope that the use of the word "lacquer" is a "Catch-all" phrase. I would HIGHLY suggest to you, to use Acrylic Enamel or Acrylic Urethane paints. They are actually "Softer" and therefore "harder" than lacquer paint, which can tend to dry "brittle" and therefore not as good to use. It will show wear, and chip easier, than the other systems.

I hope that this helps.

BTW: I love the chameleon paint that you chose.

Taz was painted with an Airbrush and hand-painted elements. California Designs was the name of my custom painting biz.

Posted: Apr 18, 2023 at 3:51 Quote
Dunkz wrote:
Somehow I've managed to sign myself up to do a coast to coast cycle for charity in a few weeks time. I built myself a road bike up last year from bits I found on ebay including a scabby old steel frame as an attempt to improve my mountain bike fitness but its not really seen much use. I saw this as a good opportunity to give it a tidy up and paint before hand but on getting the frame stripped it seems to be the lightweight version. I'm hoping its gonna make the journey as it looks like it'll be getting retired as soon as I finish.

https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/Team/BPCoast2Coast121
If anyone is feeling particularly generous they're more than welcome to sponsor me.

Anyway, I was going to do something a bit more fancy with the design but as its knackered I didn't want to waste too much time on it so i just did something simple. I thought I'd make myself up some logos while I was at it, quite enjoying painting bikes.

photo

This looks so good. Nice one!

photo

photo

photo

photo

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2023 at 7:35 Quote
The frame is the stock paint, but I did some fun dark red accents on my cranks and pedals. It was a lot of fun to do all the masking, I just took my time to get it good and then rattle canned on the red.

painted on-up pedal
painted on-up pedal

painted gx cranks
painted gx cranks

painted cranks and pedals on my absolute
painted cranks and pedals on my absolute

absolute with painted pedals
absolute with painted pedals

Posted: Jul 4, 2023 at 11:16 Quote
Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but if anyone wants to remove paint from a bike frame I've found the perfect product!! Peel tec by ctec.

Used it on a frame at the weekend and the paint literally peeled off, check out my videos on Instagram for more info

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024533
Mobile Version of Website