Powered by Outside

Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
O+
Posted: May 28, 2022 at 10:23 Quote
danctm wrote:
Hey, anyone running a large spire at 5'9" or 176cm or so? Ones come up GX build. Can't really test ride. But I wanted longer reach than the medium as that would make it my shortest reached bike.
Cheers

I'm 5-10 and ride a medium. Best fitting bike I've ever ridden. The long chainstays and slack head angle give plenty of stability in rough stuff and the more normal reach makes it rip around corners.

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 10:30 Quote
danctm wrote:
Hey, anyone running a large spire at 5'9" or 176cm or so? Ones come up GX build. Can't really test ride. But I wanted longer reach than the medium as that would make it my shortest reached bike.
Cheers

I’m 5’11” and riding a large. I feel like this is the best fitting bike I’ve ever owned. I just have to remember to keep my weight forward when I get tired because there is a lot of bike in front of you. I am more torso than legs so I like the longer reach of the large frame.

O+
Posted: May 28, 2022 at 11:48 Quote
I'm downsized from some longer reach bikes to M Spire, I'm 5.10 as well.. best bike I've ridden, and I agree the reach and chainstay combo is very balanced on this bike..

mtb-thetown wrote:
danctm wrote:
Cheers

I'm 5-10 and ride a medium. Best fitting bike I've ever ridden. The long chainstays and slack head angle give plenty of stability in rough stuff and the more normal reach makes it rip around corners.

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 18:35 Quote
5-9 on a size large seams pretty excessive.

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 19:16 Quote
Im 5.10 and riding an XL...

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 19:26 Quote
Marinsend wrote:

I'm 5'10" on an XL patrol.
You're not alone lol
Had a large '19 before and feel sooo much more comfortable on the XL

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 19:42 Quote
Marinsend wrote:
seams more excessive...
People are generally downsizing as opposed to upsizing on this bike, but if you are a crazy proportioned human or never like turning I guess have at it. I wouldn't recommend anyone upsizing without at least sitting on this bike.
I'm 5'11 and when it gets tight and janky the large is a lot of bike to throw around.

On a side note, threw on a 425 spring from a 450 and went from 27 to 29 percent sag, opened up all settings one click, should have looked for the lighter spring waaaay earlier, tons more traction and still no hard bottom, even after several nasty huck to flats and 5 days in Squamish and Pemberton. 185lbs on bike. Got a couple funny reactions about the dual crown up there but I have no regerts of throwing it on, I didn't see any of the people that said anything on the trails we were riding, they were probably doing hot laps on Pamplemousse and LOA.

O+
Posted: May 28, 2022 at 22:19 Quote
Rode a large patrol today that someone has on a group ride. Guy was my height and I don't think I'd go any smaller!

O+
Posted: May 28, 2022 at 23:38 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
Marinsend wrote:

You're not alone lol

That's funny cause I was also on a large patrol before (at same height), and sized down cause I wanted it to corner better. I recently rode a medium patrol and I think it actually fit me better than the large I had.

What made you decide to get an XL? What about it feels better? I've ridden my friends xl sentinel and for me it feels like I'm trying to steer a canoe. Fine in straight lines, but so slow around sharp corners.

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 8:21 Quote
mtb-thetown wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:
Marinsend wrote:

You're not alone lol

That's funny cause I was also on a large patrol before (at same height), and sized down cause I wanted it to corner better. I recently rode a medium patrol and I think it actually fit me better than the large I had.

What made you decide to get an XL? What about it feels better? I've ridden my friends xl sentinel and for me it feels like I'm trying to steer a canoe. Fine in straight lines, but so slow around sharp corners.

Seated cockpit length was a big one for me. My old patrol I had the seat slammed back, and it still felt cramped and put a lot of pressure on my hands. Then I got a good deal on an XL Scout and rode that for a while. Did not feel like the long reach or wheelbase held me back at all, got use to it, and learned to appreciate the extra stability. When it was time to get the new patrol, it wasn't even a question which size I wanted.
At this point, my XL Patrol isn't even my longest bike. I've got a hardtail with the same static reach (so sagged it actually ends up being about ~15mm longer) and even longer chainstays, and that is comfortable for me to.
I just like long bikes I guess.

O+
Posted: May 29, 2022 at 8:54 Quote
5’9” on medium spire but I did ride a large and it wasn’t overly stretched out but it felt more difficult to maneuver to me so I’m happy with medium. I think you really can size up or down on these bikes depending on your preference and type of trails.

O+
Posted: May 29, 2022 at 11:12 Quote
Cheers guys, I have a couple of bikes, for different purposes so I don't really need it to be a solid all rounder. More just for steeper rougher stuff and the occasional bike park trip.

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 14:49 Quote
My xl was like 1500 used pretty new condition... I would probably have gotten a large otherwise

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 14:50 Quote
Anyone want to trade? Smile

Posted: May 30, 2022 at 10:58 Quote
I’m 185 cm and on a XL. Sitting and climbing position is perfect, the bike is a beast on rough and steep descents. However it becomes lot of work on twitchy lines so I kinda wish for little shorter chainstays below 450. The possibility to choose between different chainstay lengths would be dope on this bike.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010800
Mobile Version of Website