Powered by Outside

Official Ghetto Parts Thread

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Official Ghetto Parts Thread
Posted: Feb 28, 2013 at 5:28 Quote
Okay so I know strictly this isnt bike related but its still ghetto Smile
So my mates dad and I have been working hard at blacksmithing recently as we made a forge out of an old tractor rim, some fencing, an old pipe and a hairdryer to fuel the hot coal Smile
<Photo does not exist: 9262712>
<Photo does not exist: 9262715>
Started melting down and old chisel to make a knife
<Photo does not exist: 9262714>
making tongs
<Photo does not exist: 9262716><Photo does not exist: 9262718>
got hungry afte blacksmithing
<Photo does not exist: 9262719>

Posted: Feb 28, 2013 at 5:30 Quote
I've wanted to forge a knife for the longest time. Doesn't seem to hard. Any advice?

Posted: Feb 28, 2013 at 6:09 Quote
some tutorials on youtube, soooo want to make one from those long railway nails

Posted: Feb 28, 2013 at 6:13 Quote
sherbet wrote:
I've wanted to forge a knife for the longest time. Doesn't seem to hard. Any advice?

make sure that ur forge is thick enough, made a thinner one that would probably melt through. other than that, go to ur local skip. the whole build probably cost around £4 for the hairdryer. everything else, scavenged.

Posted: Feb 28, 2013 at 6:14 Quote
amando96 wrote:
some tutorials on youtube, soooo want to make one from those long railway nails

coincidentally my mates dad works on the railway lines and he was talking about making one, currently hes working on a commando knife. should be pretty sweet.

Posted: Feb 28, 2013 at 6:17 Quote
Turanz wrote:
sherbet wrote:

make sure that ur forge is thick enough, made a thinner one that would probably melt through. other than that, go to ur local skip. the whole build probably cost around £4 for the hairdryer. everything else, scavenged.

oh and id advice fire cement, stop it burning through. he drilled a few holes into the base of the wheel and then we attached the pipe onto the bottom so the air flows up making a white hot heart to the fire. if ur forge clogs up with smoke make another pipe (as seen in the pics) that goes straight down with a lid so ash can fall through.

Posted: Feb 28, 2013 at 6:27 Quote
cracked my plastic pedals (sealed bearing though run real smooth and weigh the same as a small phone real light). Was leaning extremely far to the right round a really long corner, like really low both my tyres were sliding out. then it caught on the road and resulted in this so I cable tied it because im a man and also cheap Smile works a treat though.
<Photo does not exist: 9262790><Photo does not exist: 9262792>
not that ghetto but, was servicing everything getting my baby all greasy (sexual I know, but my bike is better than girls).
<Photo does not exist: 9262793>
left the bolts on the ground as I was outside, I mean look at the sun in that pic (Its scotland u only see that shit like once a year!) then relised that the car leaving the drive had literally crushed and snapped the bolt, so scavenged a bolt from another spare axle that was way to narrow in diameter so had to size it up with a washer from another bolt that was rounded (washer was behind a tall thread so had to saw through it with what felt like a bone saw) all in all though bikes running fine, so far.

Posted: Feb 28, 2013 at 6:32 Quote
Be careful on that bolt. I have seen people tear their ankles open with bolt setups like that.

And yeah, seen videos on it, it's pretty damned cool. There's a video of some dude making railroad spikes into chef knives. So dope.

Posted: Feb 28, 2013 at 8:15 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Be careful on that bolt. I have seen people tear their ankles open with bolt setups like that.

And yeah, seen videos on it, it's pretty damned cool. There's a video of some dude making railroad spikes into chef knives. So dope.

I can see what ur saying however the bolt is far into the crank so I have to use a socket wrench to tighten/loosen it. Annoying how a regular wrench wont get at it but still apparently its safer anyways lol

thought about making throwing knives.. in time.. in time Smile If I ever get round to finishing my knife Ill post a pic Smile under the plastic however the handle was very narrow so snapped of with a few hits! the chisel itself is thick so ill thin it down and then fire weld the handle back on maybe or just make the knife short, either way first time blacksmithing so u cant expect too much!

Posted: Feb 28, 2013 at 8:19 Quote
Went for a ride and the pedal is getting increasingly squeaky.. think its time to take it to Ae Smile
might as well get the most out of it while its still there lol

Posted: Feb 28, 2013 at 8:24 Quote
Use some zap straps on that pedal

Posted: Feb 28, 2013 at 13:23 Quote
I didn't have a 204mm adapter for the rear, so I had to fab something up...

photo

Posted: Feb 28, 2013 at 13:27 Quote
I thought doing that was okay? in that case I have a ghettoer thing going...

Posted: Feb 28, 2013 at 13:29 Quote
My mate just got a square piece of metal and drill 4 holes in it lol

Posted: Feb 28, 2013 at 15:04 Quote
mnorris122 wrote:
Use some zap straps on that pedal

Excuse me if this is bodging blasphemy but whats a zap strap?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.086848
Mobile Version of Website