Powered by Outside

Is a neck Brace a must have thing for DH riding?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Is a neck Brace a must have thing for DH riding?
Posted: Mar 11, 2015 at 8:36 Quote
The video posted above is fine, has some valid points
Plus, I've red through this article written by a medical PhD: http://orthopaediciq.org/why-the-leatt-brace-is-dangerous/
compared to all this neck brace marketing stuff on the internet, it's interesting lecture indeed

To sum it up: I see the idea behind the concept of mtb neck braces, but I am absolutely not convinced of it.

Posted: Aug 21, 2015 at 13:00 Quote
I've been looking for a neck brace but can't afford a leat. Could anyone recommend a cheaper brace but as good?

Posted: Aug 25, 2015 at 5:26 Quote
I didn't used to ride with a neck brace because i didn't think i'd ever get injured more than the usual broken knuckles fingers, cuts scrapes etc but after a huge crash at Fort Bill landing on my head and compressing my neck I bought a Leatt DBX Pro and i would never ride without one again. Strapped to a spinal board in a neck brace in A&E is not fun and in my opinion anyone that rides DH without one is just an accident waiting to happen

Posted: Aug 25, 2015 at 7:56 Quote
Teoslav wrote:
I've been looking for a neck brace but can't afford a leat. Could anyone recommend a cheaper brace but as good?
Atlas is next best brand. Lots of price,material options.
I got mine new on eBay for 170.00 American, fits well.

O+
Posted: Sep 18, 2015 at 12:57 Quote
Well, I have had one hell of a week and don't think I'd be writing this if it was not due to wearing my neck brace. I had a massive accident in Whistler Bike Park last Sunday on a trail I enjoy and know and crashed on my favourite section of the trail.
I ended up badly breaking my left clavicle, 7 ribs on my left side compressing my left lung and suffering from one really bad concussion. I have spent the week in hospital in Vancouver with the first part of it in the trauma ward. Talking to my girl friend last night after returning home to Whistler I am very lucky to be alive from what the nurses told her with my heart rate dropping down very low during the first few days in hospital and due to the fact I come close to loosing my left lung.
I suppose what I am getting at is I urge anyone who is thinking of getting a neck brace to go get one. Yes they are not a cheap piece of equipment but if it means spending a few hundred dollars on one then that is a small price to pay for staying alive. I also urge those who don't ride with one, who thinks they don't need one to go get one. And those who are thinking of up grading something on your bike who don't have a neck brace to spend the money on the brace, then upgrade your bike later.
It has really made me think about the sport that I love and enjoy (is helped that my girl friend rides and is a damn good rider) but I am thinking of walking away from it.
Lastly I just wish to thank the Whistler Bike Park first aid patrollers, the Nurses and Doctors at Whistler Medical Clinic, the Ambulance staff who took my off the mountain and down to Vancouver, and lastly a big, BIG thank you to the Nurses and Doctors at Lions Gate Hospital in North Vancouver.

Posted: Sep 19, 2015 at 2:28 Quote
bikebike69 wrote:
Teoslav wrote:
Atlas is next best brand. Lots of price,material options.
I got mine new on eBay for 170.00 American, fits well.
Anybody know if Atlas Air brace works with the TLD CP5900?
They state it works with leading neck brace brands, but can only find info where Leatt is used..
(Unsure if the back rest is too wide for the CP5900)

Posted: Sep 20, 2015 at 14:56 Quote
Camikaze wrote:
Well, I have had one hell of a week and don't think I'd be writing this if it was not due to wearing my neck brace. I had a massive accident in Whistler Bike Park last Sunday on a trail I enjoy and know and crashed on my favourite section of the trail.
I ended up badly breaking my left clavicle, 7 ribs on my left side compressing my left lung and suffering from one really bad concussion. I have spent the week in hospital in Vancouver with the first part of it in the trauma ward. Talking to my girl friend last night after returning home to Whistler I am very lucky to be alive from what the nurses told her with my heart rate dropping down very low during the first few days in hospital and due to the fact I come close to loosing my left lung.
I suppose what I am getting at is I urge anyone who is thinking of getting a neck brace to go get one. Yes they are not a cheap piece of equipment but if it means spending a few hundred dollars on one then that is a small price to pay for staying alive. I also urge those who don't ride with one, who thinks they don't need one to go get one. And those who are thinking of up grading something on your bike who don't have a neck brace to spend the money on the brace, then upgrade your bike later.
It has really made me think about the sport that I love and enjoy (is helped that my girl friend rides and is a damn good rider) but I am thinking of walking away from it.
Lastly I just wish to thank the Whistler Bike Park first aid patrollers, the Nurses and Doctors at Whistler Medical Clinic, the Ambulance staff who took my off the mountain and down to Vancouver, and lastly a big, BIG thank you to the Nurses and Doctors at Lions Gate Hospital in North Vancouver.

I don't understand how a broken clavicle and a serious concussion should be reasons that support the recommendation of using neck braces... !?

On the opposite: when I broke my collar bone in a not-so-dramatical accident some years ago I was wearing a neck brace and it felt like I had borken my collar bone because of wearing it.

O+
Posted: Sep 22, 2015 at 9:51 Quote
Camikaze wrote:

Hey man,

Sorry to hear about your crash and hope you are starting on the road to recovery. Do you mind explaining a bit more about your crash, what trail/section and how you fell (if you remember)? I also ride in Whistler and am thinking about a neck brace next season, just gathering more info.

cheers

Posted: Sep 25, 2015 at 13:58 Quote
Get one get one

O+
Posted: Sep 26, 2015 at 18:16 Quote
To add to all the other stories urging for people to buy neck braces, a few weeks ago i went OTB on a big tabletop and fell on my head from 8 or so feet up, breaking my left clavicle into 5 pieces. The neck brace definitely broke my collarbone, but judging from how much pressure it had to have put on my collarbone to break it that badly, I think I saved myself from a hell of a neck injury. To all the doubters, say what you will, but I believe that my neck brace may have saved me from a much more severe injury. If anyone is wondering, I was using a Leatt dbx pro carbon brace with a bell transfer.

O+
Posted: Sep 28, 2015 at 17:28 Quote
I have tryed Leatt, Dainese and other brands but it's impossible for me to wear a neckbrace, just find it too unconfortable and they allways push my helmet when riding and I've adjusted them following the instructions.

Posted: Oct 5, 2015 at 8:51 Quote
i love my leatt i can hardly even notice that its there and even though it was insanely expensive it was worth every cent, if i can lower the chance of a neck injury then im more than happy to pay the price for the brace. think like this. If you can afford a Downhill Bike and a Helmet + fees of riding you can certainly afford neck protection no problem.

Posted: Oct 9, 2015 at 16:36 Quote
Teoslav wrote:
i have a evs r4 that is plenty ajustible, comfortable, and good quality,i got it for $115 from chaparral motorsports. and it does its job well, i wrecked attempting backflips and landing on my head lol hopefully get them by christmas and get a vid up (got a little off topic) but like i was saying, its a great neck brace thats lower on the price Salute

Posted: Oct 10, 2015 at 7:09 Quote
MightyMcknighty wrote:
i love my leatt i can hardly even notice that its there and even though it was insanely expensive it was worth every cent, if i can lower the chance of a neck injury then im more than happy to pay the price for the brace. think like this. If you can afford a Downhill Bike and a Helmet + fees of riding you can certainly afford neck protection no problem.

Same here

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019654
Mobile Version of Website