Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
O+
Posted: May 11, 2023 at 16:31 Quote
I find Johnson/Kloosifer is most fun on a light and nimble XC bike.

Posted: May 11, 2023 at 16:57 Quote
I'll confirm tomorrow when I go but there's been pictures and it looks like they've pyloned off a pedestrian and bike lane that goes beside their construction zone. This would allow foot and bike traffic to get to and from highway 66 and beyond the gate where ings mine road is typically closed.

Everything that ive heard and read implies that all trails will remain open and accessible. You just can't park there, basically.

Posted: May 11, 2023 at 16:58 Quote
husstler wrote:
I find Johnson/Kloosifer is most fun on a light and nimble XC bike.

Great choice and I agree, I was just thinking something closer - maybe within an hour's drive of Calgary.

O+
Posted: May 11, 2023 at 19:05 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Seems like I chose the right year to add a XC race bike to the fleet.

On that note, what are some favourite XC trails in the nearby mountains? I'll use the big bike on anything at or above the level of, say, Prospector and Prairie View & Jewell; undecided on Highline. I'm looking for things similar to Minnewanka, the Nordic Centre, Strange Brew, Ridgeback (with more bar clearance) - Prospector and Highline, too, but less demanding of my tissue-paper tires and noodly fork (or I could just be less fat, but let's be realistic). Looking to avoid overly manicured (in my opinion) trails like Merlin View and Snakes.

Thanks!

Powderface / Prairie Creek is always a classic. I think I read somewhere that the section from the link trail to the pass is going to be rebuild and rerouted this summer too. Which is nice as it has always been a slog.

Elbow loop would be a longer but fast ride on the XC bike.

Jumping pound loop would be a great, do it twice or once in each direction.

Quirk Creek/ Wildhorse, another old-school ride that doesn't see much traffic.

All the trails in Canmore really good for XC

High Rockies trail too

O+
Posted: May 11, 2023 at 20:15 Quote
Well, a couple of my favourite xc rides in the last couple of years do take in Merlin (agree, I always feel a bit unsatisfied) and Snakes, but here you go with some longwinded route guidance:

-I still really like Moosepackers Loop, especially with all the various options after the RB 3 highpoint: (1) continue on Ridgeback all the way back. Initially I disliked RB 1 and 2, but somehow have come to mostly enjoy them. (2) continue on RB3, go up Bobcat, down Sugar Daddy (3) Down Ladders up Snakes, over to Bobcat and down, home on RB 2 and 1, OR, instead of Bobcat- either of the Sugars, or even better if you are wanting a longer ride- over to Strange Brew- Boundary- Snagmore. You get the picture- mix and match to your preference.

-Tom Snow from the Spruce Woods day use area off the Sibbald Road. Take Tom south and go up Kestrel, around Merlin, back north on Kestrel, return north on Tom to finish. For those like me who still have nightmares of the Bow 80 and Old Tom- relax- New Tom from Spruce Woods through to the bottom of Merlin was rerouted/rebuilt over the last half dozen years and is now a well drained smooth and fast wide track that, especially on the return after descending Kestrel, is way more fun than you might imagine. At least for this old relic!

-All of Long Distance to Telephone, turn 180 degrees and back on Long Distance (more enjoyable IMO than looping back on Tele), and then down Disconnect, south on Telephone and take Snowshoe Hare and Demi-Tel up to a finish on bumpy Long Distance South. Clear as mud? Confession time- I sometimes take Braggin-Merlin-Reconnect to get to Long Distance north, rather than climbing LD south at the start.

Also fully agree with the suggestions that hizzity had, especially Jumpingpound Loop as it is 35 minutes from home and uncrowded. Like him I always ride it in each direction to make it worth the drive. Maybe spilling the beans a bit prematurely here: two new loops off the north side of the JP Loop totalling about 10 km are in the planning stages, spearheaded by CMBA, with final approval hopefully by later this year!

Posted: May 11, 2023 at 20:21 Quote
hizzity,

Good ideas.

• Powderface Creek & Prairie Creek: Haven't been there in a decade and rarely remember it exists! I've also heard there's significant work being done.
• Elbow Loop: Used to enjoy that in the '90s! Is it still fun? Not too much doubletrack?
• Jumpingpound Loop: Never checked it out. Is it good? Usually hear of it only when discussing beginner-friendly trails or the first trails to dry.
• Quirk Creek & Wildhorse: Again, fun ... or rutted-out horse trail? I have this idea that the trails from the '80s and '90s may not have aged well.
• Canmore: Yep, they're good and I'm sure I'll take the XC bike there plenty of times.
• High Rockies: Been meaning to check it out for years, it just felt like the big bike would've sucked the fun out of it. This year's the year, then.

Thanks!

Posted: May 11, 2023 at 22:22 Quote
aka-bigsteve,

Great information.

• Moosepackers: If starting from Station Flats, would you recommend reaching Pneuma via Sulphur Springs or Elbow Valley?
• Tom Snow: Spruce Woods? Maybe Pine Woods?
• Long Distance: Do I correctly recall the LD South climb as being particularly steep? The XC bike is set up with tall gearing and I'll join you in opting out of a sustained, steep climb this early in the season! What do you think of Braggin - Reconnect - LD North, then return via the same? Less variety, but are the trails better?
• Jumpingpound Loop: Looking forward to some new trails that may help shift some attention from West Bragg. If I may make a suggestion, I'm a fan of lower-effort trail building: think Paskapoo, rather than Merlin View. Not only do I prefer the more natural trails, we can build many times as much trail for a given amount of money and labour.

Salute

O+
Posted: May 12, 2023 at 4:59 Quote
Rode Husky last night. No problems with access through the construction area, but parking will be a nightmare. Yay!

O+
Posted: May 12, 2023 at 6:56 Quote
paulinator wrote:
Rode Husky last night. No problems with access through the construction area, but parking will be a nightmare. Yay!

We also rode Husky last night but stayed on the front side. Cars were parked either on the east side ditch or parallel on the west side of the road on either side of the Husky road entrance. Gate is closed just past the Husky road pipeline valve station.

Flo was damp but tacky and fast running. Loamzilla was similarly damp but with a few braking zones in the upper section showing thin mud skid marks. Elbow was fine. We (luckily) missed the rain storms that were north & east of us (pretty big puddles in Bragg Creek post ride).

O+
Posted: May 12, 2023 at 7:53 Quote
RMR:
-Sulphur to Pnuema. Most of the time I take to the road at ROS as upper Pnuema beats me up too much.
-Spruce Woods Day Use is the official trailhead, the initial part from there takes the somewhat convoluted Pine Woods interpretive trail(or is it "Moose Loop?) A better option is to park at the gate on the nearby wellsite road as in the attached image.
-Long Distance south climb is not that steep and a bit loose and rough in spots. A nice change offering a bit more challenging climb than the norm at WB. Your other way works fine too and is easier although longer.
-Sure, Jumpingpound Loop is often touted as a "beginner" ride. I would say that with some short but punchy uphills and quick, sometimes a bit rocky downhills- it is not really that. I find it fast and fun- great xc riding!

New Tom Snow Access

O+
Posted: May 12, 2023 at 8:52 Quote
On the topic of Ing's Mine, here is the info from MMBTS instagram page

Access and egress information

The trails are all still open and rideable during the parking lot upgrades.

As your riding out of the trails along Ing's mine road, stay to the West side of the cones along the tree line (riders right). Photo 1 and 2.

Family guy can be accessed from Elbow Valley trail. Photo 3.

The locked gate on Ing's Mine road can be gone around with your bicycle. Photo 4.

For parking it was recommended that riders try
to park in another existing parking lot. For those asking about parking along the road, they said it shouldn't be an issue as people currently do it year round at the Elbow Falls Gate.

On the topic of tickets for parking, they just said to make sure you have a valid K-pass. Looking to be a hot weekend on the trails. See you out there

Stay safe. Keep the rubber side down. Tag @mmbtsinfo for a repost.

-MMBTS

Posted: May 12, 2023 at 11:16 Quote
aka-bigsteve,

Thank you for the additional information.

• Coniferous woods: Pine Woods trail begins from the Spruce Woods trailhead? Who names these things?! Does the access require more ground clearance than a city road? I have a sedan with a hitch rack that scrapes the ground exiting parking lots ...
• Upper Pneuma. I occasionally give it a go when I'm feeling good, which usually reminds me why I had been avoiding it.
• Long Distance south: Maybe mid-season or if I put on the more reasonable chainring; until then, longer and easier suits me fine!
• Jumpingpound Loop: Easy trails can be a ton of fun - and quite technical - if they're built well. Kestrel, Highline, Minnewanka, the Nordic Centre, and even 12 Mile Coulee flow nicely at any speed and get spicy if the rider has the skills and motor to keep the pace sufficiently high. I'll check it out.

O+
Posted: May 12, 2023 at 11:40 Quote
Husky update: Friday at 1:00, they now have no parking signs everywhere and people are parking on the highway only.

O+
Posted: May 12, 2023 at 12:50 Quote
I was going to joke about that "fine to park on the road" statement and how I'd be sure to get that in writing. Even if the contractor sees no problems with the parking, parks has the final say, and furthermore their COs that can ticket you for any numerous reasons at their whim which I am positive a few people will find out the hard way this year

Posted: May 12, 2023 at 13:49 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Seems like I chose the right year to add a XC race bike to the fleet.

On that note, what are some favourite XC trails in the nearby mountains? I'll use the big bike on anything at or above the level of, say, Prospector and Prairie View & Jewell; undecided on Highline. I'm looking for things similar to Minnewanka, the Nordic Centre, Strange Brew, Ridgeback (with more bar clearance) - Prospector and Highline, too, but less demanding of my tissue-paper tires and noodly fork (or I could just be less fat, but let's be realistic). Looking to avoid overly manicured (in my opinion) trails like Merlin View and Snakes.

Thanks!

Head to Jasper while you have that bike. they have 3 "Minnewankas" in Overlander, old fort to wabasso and back, and out and back until it gets rooty on either end of the saturday night lake loop. Golden as well for Canyon creek.

Highline and benchlands/g8, tunnel mountain.

High Rockies is a great suggestion.

Eastcott stuff once it dries up in the fall. At least the lighter bike will be noticeable fording the nth creek of the day.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021324
Mobile Version of Website