Powered by Outside

You know you work in a bikeshop when...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
You know you work in a bikeshop when...
Posted: May 14, 2017 at 20:05 Quote
Do what you want. I have been holding back from commenting.

I don't understand why I am restricted to riding only what I sell. Why can't I try something else? Why does the customer get unlimited choice and I should be forced into a box. I have never understood what I ride has to do with what I sell. I would rarely buy solely on what the salesperson uses. They get it cheap.

I am all for trying out other stuff, helps you grow your understanding of the products out there and in my opinion help you provide a better service to the customer when you can talk about other products.

Do you folk honestly believe 100% of the product in your store is the only product worth buying? No. There are better options for the customer that can lie outside of your store. Why wouldn't I direct them to a product I know will suit their needs better?

Worked in a commission eat what you kill scenario for a bunch of years and my approach paid me in dividends. Build that trust with the customer, let them buy something somewhere else on your recommendation and if it's awesome like you said it was. They will return for other items and more repeat business through you.

We work in shops, the only thing that separates us from an online store in customer service and guidance. Having a self imposed narrow window of available product limits you and in turn limits what you can help the customer with.

Use that EP system to get your hands on product, use it, abuse it, understand it, then sell it on. Repeat.

Posted: May 14, 2017 at 20:18 Quote
Personal experience makes it easier to make a valuable recommendation. We sell a huge variety of bikes and I think we really do stock or have access to a bike that would be awesome for nearly any customer, and if we don't I have friends at nearly every shop in town who I would gladly send a customer too if I thought they had a better bike for them, or another bike I think they should test ride.

I almost entirely wrench, but when I do sell bikes or parts I find having actually used a product to be extremely helpful in making recommendations versus relying entirely on internet reviews, geometry, spec, and how easy thy are to buildBig Grin

O+
Posted: May 15, 2017 at 2:45 Quote
mini-freerider wrote:
I've been trying to avoid weighing in on this.

But now I'm literally about to have to make that decision haha.

There's some super sweet deals on a Scott Scale 720 online.

We stock trek and whyte. My main bike is a remedy. But Trek's stock of the comparable procalliber is really shaky.

Do I do it fellas?

Do I actually want an xc bike? I'm imagining smashing up technical climbs and using it for rides with slower buddies to give myself a harder time on the descents.

go for it! you might be able to keep up with me for once!

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 6:54 Quote
If you work at a bike shop, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that you should even consider purchasing a bike online. No, absolutely not.

And the reason why you should ride what you sell, is because it pays your f*cking bills. The only reason you get a paycheck is because your store sells bikes, and you get paid to sell bikes.

If you can't sell a customer a Yeti, don't ride a Yeti, and tell them that's what they need.

You need to learn to drink and enjoy the Koolaid of whatever shop your at, if you don't like it, find a new job at a different shop where you believe in what you can sell.

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 7:35 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
If you work at a bike shop, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that you should even consider purchasing a bike online. No, absolutely not.

And the reason why you should ride what you sell, is because it pays your f*cking bills. The only reason you get a paycheck is because your store sells bikes, and you get paid to sell bikes.

If you can't sell a customer a Yeti, don't ride a Yeti, and tell them that's what they need.

You need to learn to drink and enjoy the Koolaid of whatever shop your at, if you don't like it, find a new job at a different shop where you believe in what you can sell.

Went to a restaurant the other day, asked the server ... "what would you recommend?"

she says "Oh, I don't eat here, the food is better across the street."

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 7:46 Quote
Yeah, as much as I can appreciate the stuff other brands are doing (man, I wish we carried Yeti), there's no way in hell that one of the brands your shop carries doesn't have a bike that fits what you're doing, and the reason these brands do EP programs is so you can sell the gear you ride. It definitely carries weight with a customer to say "I own/had one of these bikes and here's why I bought it and how it was awesome". These brands don't care that you're lusting after a particular bike; they want you to sell their bikes, and an EP program is the incentive/training.

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 9:55 Quote
It's not black and white, I worked for a Raleigh, Schwinn, (yes they were also being sold in Walmart at the time) and redline dealer, luckily I didn't need a new bike during that time, but if I did I would have gone elsewhere. Yes ride what you sell, if you can, but if you can't... Let's not be foolish and keep your bike I'm the back and don't talk about it. Is suggest discussing any potential purchases with your boss before hand as well, or it could be your last episode. If he's reasonable he'll get it, if not why are you working there?

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 11:47 Quote
dugcarch wrote:
mini-freerider wrote:
I've been trying to avoid weighing in on this.

But now I'm literally about to have to make that decision haha.

There's some super sweet deals on a Scott Scale 720 online.

We stock trek and whyte. My main bike is a remedy. But Trek's stock of the comparable procalliber is really shaky.

Do I do it fellas?

Do I actually want an xc bike? I'm imagining smashing up technical climbs and using it for rides with slower buddies to give myself a harder time on the descents.

go for it! you might be able to keep up with me for once!

Whayeyeyeyey.

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 13:17 Quote
mountainbiker929 wrote:
Personal experience makes it easier to make a valuable recommendation. We sell a huge variety of bikes and I think we really do stock or have access to a bike that would be awesome for nearly any customer, and if we don't I have friends at nearly every shop in town who I would gladly send a customer too if I thought they had a better bike for them, or another bike I think they should test ride.

I almost entirely wrench, but when I do sell bikes or parts I find having actually used a product to be extremely helpful in making recommendations versus relying entirely on internet reviews, geometry, spec, and how easy thy are to buildBig Grin

Indeed. Thus why trying products outside of your range is helpful.

Why shouldn't I be able to buy online? My supplier here charges me more at wholesale, plus GST and shipping for a hope hub compared to CRC. Which sells it for less, free freight and occasionally I don't get charged GST on it. How can I in good concious sell that product at MSRP?

Now the advice is worth something, so ensure they get the right hub. But I factor that into the build labor.

I personally buy shimano product online for my own bike, as it's cheaper than my EP and free freight. Shimano here stocks nothing, sell out immediately. CRC has better pricing, better stock, better customer service.

big industry push to support the LBS, but then the industry itself cuts the bottom out of it. The model needs a rework. Why do we plead with customers to shop with us, impose limiting moral guidelines on product we can and can't ride. When we don't get support from the brands that we sell? Force us to carry large inventory in order to get the best pricing, then sell online for wholesale.

The model of the future will be service shops, with perhaps a sales person or two helping customers choose which Canyon or YT or Trek(etc) to buy and it arrives in a week. Where a commission is paid from those brands and mechanics charge by the hour. Rent a stand like a hair salon.

Carry less inventory and bill for extra services, bike service, bike fit, guidance, and an expansion into shuttle companies, guiding, teaching classes.

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 13:46 Quote
bonfire wrote:
mountainbiker929 wrote:

Indeed. Thus why trying products outside of your range is helpful.

Why shouldn't I be able to buy online? My supplier here charges me more at wholesale, plus GST and shipping for a hope hub compared to CRC. Which sells it for less, free freight and occasionally I don't get charged GST on it. How can I in good concious sell that product at MSRP?

Now the advice is worth something, so ensure they get the right hub. But I factor that into the build labor.

I personally buy shimano product online for my own bike, as it's cheaper than my EP and free freight. Shimano here stocks nothing, sell out immediately. CRC has better pricing, better stock, better customer service.

big industry push to support the LBS, but then the industry itself cuts the bottom out of it. The model needs a rework. Why do we plead with customers to shop with us, impose limiting moral guidelines on product we can and can't ride. When we don't get support from the brands that we sell? Force us to carry large inventory in order to get the best pricing, then sell online for wholesale.

The model of the future will be service shops, with perhaps a sales person or two helping customers choose which Canyon or YT or Trek(etc) to buy and it arrives in a week. Where a commission is paid from those brands and mechanics charge by the hour. Rent a stand like a hair salon.

Carry less inventory and bill for extra services, bike service, bike fit, guidance, and an expansion into shuttle companies, guiding, teaching classes.

If you wont shop at your own store, I could only imagine how hard it would be to get the public to buy in. I agree the current model isn't great... 100% the industry is f*cking the current LBS model.

But, as was said. You gotta drink the kool-aide bro. If you can't get behind the business model that you are employed under, then you should probably work some place else. Sounds harsh. But its true. Start working for a larger company, organization ..or even government... and then don't tow the party line ... see how well that works out for you. Employees need to be behind the business model, or they need to get out of the way.

Best answer you have gotten about this issue, go talk to your boss. Discuss your plan and concerns, if he supports you then you are golden. When I Was working at a shop, If I had rolled in with a fresh bike I bought from the competition, he would have shit.

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 13:50 Quote
bonfire wrote:

This I 100% agree with.

O+
Posted: May 15, 2017 at 16:47 Quote
Hot girl walks in with a fixed gear, "hi, can you fix my flat"
I say "sure, come back in 10 or so minutes, it'll be done"

Tire has a tire liner in it......

turns out that girl aint so hot after all.

lets agree to ban tire liners/tuffy strips.

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 16:53 Quote
and you re-installed the tuffy strip? wow. she must be hot.

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 17:28 Quote
Haha we had a super attractive girl come on with a super sweet yeti and ask if we could do a brake bleed on the spot. We where super busy but agreed anyways bc well she was hot. Whenwe finished the bleed her bf comes in and pays for it and says something like; "see I told you it would work."

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 17:59 Quote
Y'all let the pussy pass slide. For shame.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018111
Mobile Version of Website