Powered by Outside

share your "tools of the trail"

PB Forum :: Trail Building
share your "tools of the trail"
Posted: May 10, 2010 at 19:50 Quote
photo
being a tool for a few seconds. I use the spade the most. This is primarily a 1 man project, so I don't need a lot of duplicates. I forgot a few tools though - hoe, another flat head, limbing axe (although not for this trail), Bowsaw, pickaxe, and some other shit that i barely use.

Posted: May 10, 2010 at 19:50 Quote
VTwintips wrote:
photo
being a tool for a few seconds. I use the spade the most. This is primarily a 1 man project, so I don't need a lot of duplicates. I forgot a few tools though - hoe, another flat head, limbing axe (although not for this trail), Bowsaw, pickaxe, and some other shit that i barely use.
haha i just laughed at this picture in the trail building thread aswell lol

Posted: May 10, 2010 at 19:54 Quote
ilikebikes1 wrote:
VTwintips wrote:
photo
haha i just laughed at this picture in the trail building thread aswell lol
nice lol, I see were are all on the same page lol my jokes aren't even on purpose right now though. Gotta love those timed cameras. Just enough time to get into the picture and look like a retard.

Posted: Nov 19, 2014 at 7:55 Quote
Anyone have experience with leaving fiberglass handled shovels and rakes outside on a long term basis? I have started leaving mine near a new trail being built and wondering how they will hold up to the weather.

Posted: Nov 19, 2014 at 8:08 Quote
The fiberglass themselves wont degrade really, where they will start to breakdown is where the handle and tool head meet. So as long as you keep the metal end from staying wet it should last years. Although I prefer the wooden handled shovels because they are stronger and don't flex nearly as much, I've found the fiberglass ones to handle the weather better than a wooden handled shovel.

Posted: Nov 19, 2014 at 9:48 Quote
They wear about the same. I've left both wood and fiberglass out for longer than I'd like to admit. The only thing is that wood cost 3x less, and is more comfortable on your hands, albeit slightly heavier, is potentially way less environmentally intensive to produce considering material manufacturing process with a fiberglass in comparison to wood, which literally grows itself.

Posted: Nov 27, 2014 at 11:31 Quote
if the fiber ever come loose from a chip it tends to fackn' stay in your skin for a few days, wood is cheap but can be easily replaced and wood slivers dont suck as bad

Posted: Nov 27, 2014 at 12:59 Quote
Ya basically wood all the way.

Posted: Nov 28, 2014 at 19:22 Quote
Rake, Flat head shovel, folding shovel and a mcleod.

everything else is manual labor Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018402
Mobile Version of Website