40 and over mountain bikers.

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
40 and over mountain bikers.
Posted: Aug 4, 2014 at 14:35 Quote
fredro wrote:
Welcome bro! Never too late! Post some pics of the new rig! That thing is a beast!

I went for my first ride today with the new bike in an actual real trail. I cannot believe how out of shape I have gotten!

But, I have to start somewhere.....

My new bike is awesome and way overkill for me, but I love it!!!!

And, I just realized I have no idea how to post a photo on this site.... Off to search...

Posted: Aug 12, 2014 at 1:34 Quote
I still can't walk from my crash last week. I finally was able to hobble into the gym and my friends asked what happened. I told them and the first thing they said is "how old are you? " I said old enough to hit a jump crash hard and keep going. I should be back on my bike in a month and who knows what I will break next. I may switch to DH once I move to Vegas but for now it DJ and street
[url=http://www.allnewdeals.com]daily deals[/url], [url=http://www.allnewdeals.com]online shopping sites[/url], [url=http://www.allnewdeals.com]hot deals[/url], [url=http://www.allnewdeals.com]best deals[/url]

Posted: Aug 12, 2014 at 2:22 Quote
Last month I fractured my scapula, I just had an MRI scan this morning and have a bad muscle tear on top. No riding for at least another 3 months, (one month off already). The only thing that slows down is recovery time. I'll be hitting the trails harder than ever once I'm fit again.

Posted: Aug 12, 2014 at 3:04 Quote
nidgeslash9 wrote:
Last month I fractured my scapula, I just had an MRI scan this morning and have a bad muscle tear on top. No riding for at least another 3 months, (one month off already). The only thing that slows down is recovery time. I'll be hitting the trails harder than ever once I'm fit again.

Thats shitty luck mate.
I'm just about to go on a training course to become a guide at the age of 45( thought I'd better get it done before I got too old lol) hitting the trails harder than ever with a couple of downhill koms just recently on my hardtail. probably should invest in a full suss soon to save my joints though!lol

Posted: Aug 12, 2014 at 3:43 Quote
mallorcadave wrote:
nidgeslash9 wrote:

Thats shitty luck mate.
I'm just about to go on a training course to become a guide at the age of 45( thought I'd better get it done before I got too old lol) hitting the trails harder than ever with a couple of downhill koms just recently on my hardtail. probably should invest in a full suss soon to save my joints though!lol

I'd love to be a guide but the xenophobic laws in Thailand make it illegal for foreigners to do it. I'm in the process of forming a Loose Riders chapter in my local area, hopefully will get more crazy people to ride with. Smile

Posted: Aug 12, 2014 at 6:56 Quote
I was out riding last Sunday. We had finished riding our favorite trail at Nam in Milford MA. We heading back up for another run when, a guy that I have seen out riding there a bunch of times, comes down the trail, clears the last jump and loses control on the landing. He starts to low-side to the right and also veer off the the right side of the trail. He catches his foot between a big rock and his pedal. He "yard-sales" about 30 feet in front of us. The collective riding group gives out a big "ohhh nooo". The guy that crashed starts to move and then yells out "I broke my f-ing leg". It looked bad as his foot was pointing 90-degrees from where it should be and not in a good direction.

We call for help (911) and as we are relaying the situation, the rescue person on the phone asks "how old is he"? We all know his first name but never cared about his age but I knew he is an older mountain biker. His response to the question is a loud "f*ck YOU". We tell him that the EMS people want to know and he replies "I'm 70". All of us are like "70? dude I hope I am still riding this stuff at your age".

He is as tough as nails, we got him out of the woods on a back board (just because he couldn't walk) and they brought him to the hospital. It was a dislocated ankle that I hear needed surgery to repair. I am sure he will be back out in the woods in a few months.

I'm 52 and hope to still be riding in 18 more years.

Posted: Aug 12, 2014 at 7:18 Quote
BlurredVision wrote:
I was out riding last Sunday. We had finished riding our favorite trail at Nam in Milford MA. We heading back up for another run when, a guy that I have seen out riding there a bunch of times, comes down the trail, clears the last jump and loses control on the landing. He starts to low-side to the right and also veer off the the right side of the trail. He catches his foot between a big rock and his pedal. He "yard-sales" about 30 feet in front of us. The collective riding group gives out a big "ohhh nooo". The guy that crashed starts to move and then yells out "I broke my f-ing leg". It looked bad as his foot was pointing 90-degrees from where it should be and not in a good direction.

We call for help (911) and as we are relaying the situation, the rescue person on the phone asks "how old is he"? We all know his first name but never cared about his age but I knew he is an older mountain biker. His response to the question is a loud "f*ck YOU". We tell him that the EMS people want to know and he replies "I'm 70". All of us are like "70? dude I hope I am still riding this stuff at your age".

He is as tough as nails, we got him out of the woods on a back board (just because he couldn't walk) and they brought him to the hospital. It was a dislocated ankle that I hear needed surgery to repair. I am sure he will be back out in the woods in a few months.
Awesome story. Hope he heals soon.

Posted: Aug 12, 2014 at 7:39 Quote
walterpump wrote:
Well Guys & Girls I must be the senior here.
72yrs young and into riding trails. No downhill; no jumps but love riding the abandoned railway line trails and conservation parks trails. Lots of places to do all that here in the Quinte Area (100 miles east of Toronto).
My ride is a Giant Iguana, 2005 I think, that I am having a good time upgrading some. Put a new Kenda Kadre on the rear and tomorrow will install a Kenda Small Block Eight on the front. Bike is running great. Keeping my eye open for a good front fork upgrade, like a reasonably upscale Fox, Marzocchi, RockShox, etc.
I like going for a 2 hour/3 hour adventure down the trails with water, coffee, snacks, camera, gps, and a few tools. Will post a couple of pics soon.
I gotta say, gettin out there on a mtn bike at 72 does soooooo much for a persons mental outlook.
Happy riding to all from a trail rider.

Crazy and awesome you can do that. At 40 I'm wishing I never worked so hard in my life at work as I would have had way less broken body parts if I was a slacker.

I'm dealing with a rolled ankle from about 14 months ago but plan on biking lots before the summer and the monsoon season comes. Even convinced the wife (34) that she needs a bike too. After a few days of mumbling and asking why I think she should get one, she caved in, well untill she saw the prices for bikes LOL. Had to bring down the price to $400 max so now need to find a nice used bike.

Posted: Aug 12, 2014 at 8:24 Quote
Here is a link to a video of the trail. This was taken just before the guy got hurt.

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/374930/

Posted: Aug 13, 2014 at 11:01 Quote
Whistler bound in 10 days for a 3 week stay,43 and riding better and more aggressively than I ever have. Age ain't nothing but a number,get past others perceptions of what's right and wrong and live it like you want to. Lots of top riders are now 40+ and still smashing it,stay fit and there's no reason to stop. Growing up is for fools!

Posted: Aug 13, 2014 at 12:19 Quote
^ this

have a good time!

Posted: Aug 13, 2014 at 14:18 Quote
Cheers iffy counting minutes!

Posted: Aug 18, 2014 at 17:52 Quote
photo
not much time to dig so I turn d to BMX for some street riding. No one understands but it keeps me going.

Posted: Aug 19, 2014 at 4:38 Quote
Sweet looking bike man. Been thinking about buying a street bike myself lately.

Posted: Aug 19, 2014 at 4:43 Quote
Thanks! I have been planning it for a while. I was riding my DJ in the street for the past year and its to big to fling around like I want.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012480
Mobile Version of Website