Powered by Outside

Bird Aeris owners thread

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2021 at 14:37 Quote
Thanks, very tidy. And quite annoying!

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2021 at 14:50 Quote
Wondering if anyone's tried a slammed OneUp dropper in a M Aether 9 (395mm seat tube, 430mm chainstays)? I think it'd be very tight to clear the saddle at full compression, if it does at all. The Brand-X is fine with its 55mm dropped stack, BikeYoke probably too with 42mm, but the OneUp is only 33mm. Actually... there probably wouldn't be much point anyway because you'd immediately buzz yourself on the tyre.

Posted: Jul 21, 2021 at 23:41 Quote
photo

love the skinwalls on my bike

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 23:19 Quote
Never mind the skinwalls, those forks are so rad!

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 23:50 Quote
Does anyone have an original link for the AM9 they’d like to sell please?

I’m in the UK but would pay for shipment from overseas.

Thanks

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 1:20 Quote
JKL250 wrote:

Thanks

Bird are putting some original links into production. Manufacturing delays have meant they're not here yet but they're definitely in the pipeline

O+
Posted: Jul 25, 2021 at 11:40 Quote
JKL250 wrote:

Thanks

Yup. I've got an unused non-RRR linkage.

PM if interrested (EU)

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 9:14 Quote
rideeverything wrote:
JKL250 wrote:

Thanks

Bird are putting some original links into production. Manufacturing delays have meant they're not here yet but they're definitely in the pipeline

Thanks rideeverything, yeah I’ve been speaking to Bird for a while about it so was aware of their plans and the reasons for delays.

As it’s out of Bird’s hands I can’t know the waiting time so thought I’d try sourcing one from here.

O+
Posted: Aug 5, 2021 at 18:50 Quote
got an AM9 with the 20mm rise bars....who has jumped to a 30mm or 35mm rise and liked it? Also im 5' 10 " on a ML frame and wondering if i should look at swapping from a 40mm to 30mm or 35mm stem would be an improvement?

bike feels good but i just have a gut feeling it could feel better and with the reach on these frames im jut wondering how others have liked a higher rise bar or swapping to a shorter stem? did it make the bike feel a little more playful and nimble?

look forward to hearing back from the flock!

Posted: Aug 5, 2021 at 23:25 Quote
I run a 35mm stem with 15mm of spacers under it, 20mm bars and 160mm lyriks. I've never felt the need to go any higher with the bars as it manuals nicely and is pretty playful. Think any higher and the front end would start lifting on really steep climbs

O+
Posted: Aug 6, 2021 at 9:00 Quote
I run a 38mm riser bars with a small spacer under the stem to keep the stack low to try and preserve reach. I like it, feels good all around.

Posted: Aug 7, 2021 at 23:57 Quote
This would have been one for R-M-R!

I think if you’re after increasing playfulness/nimbleness then you’ll get the greatest effect from altering the suspension characteristics.
In short less dampening and stiffer springs to store and return more energy.
If you haven’t seen it then this is a great explanation - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EJELsCkYEDI

One of the great things about the AM9 is how it can be made to feel playful and nimble or very planted and controlled. I’ve had mine set up at the far end of both spectrums.

Definitely play about with bars and stems to see what feels best to you though. It’s your hand’s position in relation to the steering axis and BB that matter so changing stem length 5mm can have a smaller effect than other changes such as bar roll.

Let us know how it goes.

O+
Posted: Aug 8, 2021 at 9:31 Quote
I prefer a high rise bar as well because I am 190 cms tall and have a longer torso than legs. I found my back got sore with low rise / flat bars. There are a lot of variables at play with bike fit. I've found changing one thing at a time and playing around with different aspects of set-up to be helpful, or you could go to a shop or physiotherapist that does bike fitting. Good luck!

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2021 at 16:38 Quote
Your effective stem length with a 65deg head angle, 20mm rise bars, and 40mm stem is ~27mm. If my calculations are correct, 9mm of that is coming from the bar's rise, and a 35mm rise bar of same sweep at same rotation will provide 15mm (+6mm) - increasing the ESL and thus slowing the steering. So in theory a 35mm stem would compensate for this bar, or alone would quicken the steering.

According to this article, 20mm is about as short as you'd want to go, before the steering gets too twitchy. See seb-stott's comment on that article for an explanation of my previous paragraph.

Posted: Aug 20, 2021 at 13:41 Quote
Some advice from you deep thinkers out there if you don't mind...
I stupidly forgot my kit bag today and had to ride in trainers rather than five ten impacts, thankfully I had a helmet and camelback in the van. As expected my feet had the odd moment of bouncing about, but this got me thinking...
There are times when I'm wearing proper footwear and things get rowdy and my feet get unsettled, is this something that I can dial out with a few clicks on the shock? I'm running a coil RS ultimate on an AM9 V3.
Any clues which clicker to play with and which direction?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013125
Mobile Version of Website