Bird Aeris owners thread

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2023 at 8:35 Quote
And my Aeris 9 in size L with WTB Tough casing tyres front/rear is about 16.4kg

Posted: Nov 3, 2023 at 3:16 Quote
Not sure if we are allowed to or not on here, but put the Aeris 145 up for sale if there is any interest - https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3755941/

Posted: Jan 30, 2024 at 19:43 Quote
I know this is the Aeris thread, but I don't think there is a Aether 7 thread so I thought I'd post this hear if people still check this.

I'm hoping to throw a Works components Angleset on my new Aether 7. The purpose would be to raise the bb and make the steering a little more lively/reactive. My minds already set whether it's a good or bad idea, and I do have the nice bird headset to go back on incase I don't like the feel.
My question is what effect will it have and how much should I lower my fork.

I believe using the 1° angleset in reverse will bring my static angle to 66° but the fork would have to be lower to 120mm at the same time right? So I was thinking if I only lowered the fork from 140 to 130 instead, then I would only end up slackening the headtube angle by 0.5° degrees right?

Let me know if that makes sense.... ideally I'd like to end it with a 65.5° headtube angle and 130mm or 140mm fork .... as long as I'm raising the BB height somewhat is all I care about without making the seattube too slack.

Let me know your helpful inputs.

Cheers.
Thanks

Posted: Jan 30, 2024 at 20:01 Quote
norcohavocdirtjumper wrote:
as long as I'm raising the BB height somewhat is all I care about

Effect on BB height will be extremely small. Best ways to keep the BB up:

1. More low-speed compression damping.
2. Less sag with a less progressive spring, i.e. remove spacers ("tokens") and raise base pressure.

Posted: Jan 31, 2024 at 8:16 Quote
I’ve illegally put a 150mm 29” fork on my aether7, the BB is at a ‘better’ height - at least in terms of pedal strikes. The front end is higher now so the seat angle is slacker also which is the only downside for me. I wasn’t aiming to get a slacker head angle but am more than happy with how it rides…

Probably not useful info for your requirements but hopefully it’s of some help.

Posted: Jan 31, 2024 at 19:44 Quote
sly69 wrote:
I’ve illegally put a 150mm 29” fork on my aether7, the BB is at a ‘better’ height - at least in terms of pedal strikes. The front end is higher now so the seat angle is slacker also which is the only downside for me. I wasn’t aiming to get a slacker head angle but am more than happy with how it rides…

I think you achieved partly what I was aiming at .... I hate low BB as it's not really logical from a true mountain bike perspective and also it's not as poppy if it's low ....
And Well thanks for your input as that really helps.
In theory if I kept the fork ar 140 and then just used an angleset at 1°- degree I'd end up being at roughly same head angle but I'd lose a degree of seattube angle which I'd then be 75 seattube angle which is still mainly fine .....
I think I should send it for max bb rise imho even it's not much per say ....
Need the bb raised as much possible paired with a eccentric bb to raise the bb even more since why not eh

Posted: Jan 31, 2024 at 19:46 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
as long as I'm raising the BB height somewhat is all I care about

Effect on BB height will be extremely small. Best ways to keep the BB up:

1. More low-speed compression damping.
2. Less sag with a less progressive spring, i.e. remove spacers ("tokens") and raise base pressure.

Thanks for the suggestions.... I'll definitely run things stiff....
Also first components makes great eccentric BB's for BSA so I'm planning that in conjunction.

Cheers

Posted: Jan 31, 2024 at 19:54 Quote
norcohavocdirtjumper,

You're probably feeling the dynamic BB height, not the static - i.e. the actual height during certain riding situations, rather than how it sits in the garage. Raising the static height will help, of course, but we're talking a few milimeters here or there. Increasing the low-speed compression damping and early spring rate (while ensuring the late spring rate isn't excessive) can raise the dynamic height five or ten times as much as some of the static changes.

Posted: Feb 1, 2024 at 15:47 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
norcohavocdirtjumper,

You're probably feeling the dynamic BB height, not the static - i.e. the actual height during certain riding situations, rather than how it sits in the garage. Raising the static height will help, of course, but we're talking a few milimeters here or there. Increasing the low-speed compression damping and early spring rate (while ensuring the late spring rate isn't excessive) can raise the dynamic height five or ten times as much as some of the static changes.

Thanks for the suggestion. That's definitely an idea I will implement and I do want it stiff off the top so it can be poppy when I want and not constantly riding low to the ground.

Posted: Feb 1, 2024 at 16:29 Quote
Best of all, it's free to experiment with this!

O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2024 at 7:38 Quote
sly69 wrote:

Sliding your saddle forward on the rails will help with seat angle.

You can try a 26 rear wheel to lower the BB, or a thinner width on the 29 tire to lower the BB slightly.

Then ~150mm cranks (Trailcraft, Canfield) to fix the pedal strike issue without changing the BB height

O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2024 at 7:47 Quote
I know this is the Aeris thread, but I don't think there is a Aether 7 thread so I thought I'd post this hear if people still check this.

I'm hoping to throw a Works components Angleset on my new Aether 7. The purpose would be to raise the bb and make the steering a little more lively/reactive. My minds already set whether it's a good or bad idea, and I do have the nice bird headset to go back on incase I don't like the feel.

I believe using the 1° angleset in reverse will bring my static angle to 66° but the fork would have to be lower to 120mm at the same time right? So I was thinking if I only lowered the fork from 140 to 130 instead, then I would only end up slackening the headtube angle by 0.5° degrees right?

Let me know if that makes sense.... ideally I'd like to end it with a 65.5° headtube angle and 130mm or 140mm fork .... as long as I'm raising the BB height somewhat is all I care about without making the seattube too slack.

Cheers.
Thanks

Here's an excellent bike Geo calculator, I think it's the best on the web. Should help you decide

https://www.bike-stats.de/en/geometrie_rechner

O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2024 at 8:11 Quote

Cheers.
Thanks

Assuming size large 2021 Aether 7:

Plus 1 angleset
https://postimg.cc/K3Y1DjRp

Plus 1 angleset and -10mm fork
https://postimg.cc/6yYDP3TL

Posted: Feb 15, 2024 at 14:28 Quote
wburnes wrote:

Cheers.
Thanks

Here's an excellent bike Geo calculator, I think it's the best on the web. Should help you decide

https://www.bike-stats.de/en/geometrie_rechner

Thanks! .... also I checked your screenshots and it seems basically that I'd need to increase my fork travel by 10mm (to 150mm) and then add a +1 angleset to get what I had in mind ....

I can also get what I had in mind by using an Eccentric bottom bracket from First Components .... so I may try the Eccentric BB first and then if that's not enought to raise the BB then I'll maybe try the 10mm longer fork and +1 Angleset.

The whole point of this idea to make the bike more playful, as lower BB mtn bikes are harder to pop and manual I've found .... especially coming from riding years of BMX, I hate a low bottom bracket ....

That calculator is excellent, thanks!

Posted: Mar 24, 2024 at 14:42 Quote
Hi ! I am thinking of buying a bird aether 9 frameset . Any opinions about it?
Thanks !

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012948
Mobile Version of Website