Powered by Outside

21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Apr 16, 2024 at 10:02 Quote
Has anyone converted to mullet and got any feedback on the results from doing it? I’m considering it, but the cost of a rear wheel and tire puts me off. If it’s worth it though I’m happy to spend the cash

Posted: Apr 16, 2024 at 10:14 Quote
birnie wrote:
Has anyone converted to mullet and got any feedback on the results from doing it? I’m considering it, but the cost of a rear wheel and tire puts me off. If it’s worth it though I’m happy to spend the cash

This has been discussed a few times by a few different people. Jump back a few pages in this thread, I think you'll quickly find the discussion. You could also search for "WRP Mullet Link" and probably take you to the right conversation as well.

In summary, lots of people like it but it's worth pointing you to the Williams Racing Products (WRP) mullet link that retains the stock kinematics. I'm actually thinking of doing this conversion myself.

Posted: Apr 16, 2024 at 11:07 Quote
Hal-9001 wrote:
Hi,

did anyone tried to change rear shock stroke on Evo from 55 to 50 mm, basically changing travel from 150 to 135ish mm?

There is killer deal on an 2023 ST Evo expert that is hard to ignore, and would like to make it more of a trail bike than an enduro rig. Frame is light enough, HTA can be easily adjusted to steeper setting, basically polar opposite of what most people would do :-)

I bet you can also find killer deals on non-evo Stumpy's. But, to your point, I borrowed a 52.5mm stroke shock while my shock was out for service. It really changed the ride characteristics far more than I anticipated, and for the worse IMO. The recommended sag of a bike's shock is intrinsically related to the anti-squat, anti-rise, linkage curve rate, etc. These are also tuned to the expected progressivity of the shock's spring rate and damping circuits. All parts of a system, mess with one and everything changes as well.

Just get a regular stumpy if you want something with more of a lightweight trail bike feel.

Posted: Apr 16, 2024 at 17:32 Quote
birnie wrote:

Yep, it's great. As Pdrenth said, use a WRP mullet yoke.

O+
Posted: Apr 16, 2024 at 17:35 Quote
scotthawks wrote:
birnie wrote:

I agree. Running a WRP mullet yoke and a Cascade Components link. Loving it!

Posted: Apr 17, 2024 at 7:18 Quote
I have no interest in running a full 29 setup on this bike ever again. Wrp yoke + cascade link makes the bike feel so good in the mullet config. My only issue is I’m trying to run a coil shock and the Ohlins I have just doesn’t feel right, but the stock float x felt incredible

O+
Posted: Apr 17, 2024 at 11:57 Quote
seanfeezy wrote:
I have no interest in running a full 29 setup on this bike ever again. Wrp yoke + cascade link makes the bike feel so good in the mullet config. My only issue is I’m trying to run a coil shock and the Ohlins I have just doesn’t feel right, but the stock float x felt incredible

I’m Running the same linkage set up with a X2 and loving it. Considering trying a Tigon though.

Posted: Apr 17, 2024 at 12:30 Quote
Chief2slo wrote:
I’m Running the same linkage set up with a X2 and loving it. Considering trying a Tigon though.

As soon as I bought this coil on buy/sell I knew I probably should have just waited until I could find an x2 or vivid

Posted: Apr 17, 2024 at 21:28 Quote
seanfeezy wrote:

Ive heard ohlins can be hard to set up. Hard to find a good coil for these. Ive had good luck with the mrp hazzard though. The emtb version for added strength

Posted: Apr 18, 2024 at 5:20 Quote
MauiMax wrote:
seanfeezy wrote:

Ive heard ohlins can be hard to set up. Hard to find a good coil for these. Ive had good luck with the mrp hazzard though. The emtb version for added strength

The thing that I'm running into is that my weight (235-240) multiplied by the leverage rate of the cascade link (3.4) = a spring rate of 800lbs. Not may options exist for a Evo compatible shock AND a spring rate of a 3/4 ton truck.

Posted: Apr 18, 2024 at 23:31 Quote
MauiMax wrote:
seanfeezy wrote:

I saw you posting about this when I started my search for a coil. I can only find the stainless shafted hazzard through Avy, where did you get yours?

Posted: Apr 19, 2024 at 10:12 Quote
Chief2slo wrote:
scotthawks wrote:
birnie wrote:

I agree. Running a WRP mullet yoke and a Cascade Components link. Loving it!

This is an absolute must. The Cascade link alone makes the rear end feel.... strange and definitely not better than the stock link.

Posted: Apr 19, 2024 at 17:21 Quote
zachinblack wrote:
This is an absolute must. The Cascade link alone makes the rear end feel.... strange and definitely not better than the stock link.

This has not been my experience. While I haven't tried the WRP yoke, I have only positive things to say about the Cascade link. Of course, adding the WRP might be an improvement, but I wouldn't say it is mandatory.

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2024 at 18:49 Quote
Subversion-Garage wrote:
zachinblack wrote:

This has not been my experience. While I haven't tried the WRP yoke, I have only positive things to say about the Cascade link. Of course, adding the WRP might be an improvement, but I wouldn't say it is mandatory.

I’ll agree. The WRP is a hoot, but was added well after the Cascade Link, and I was very happy with just the CC link. Mullet is a blast, but the Cascade link is amazing as a stand alone.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 1.210918
Mobile Version of Website