Powered by Outside

jawbone bikes - what do you think?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
jawbone bikes - what do you think?
Posted: Feb 24, 2009 at 14:51 Quote
rialb wrote:
jonbikes wrote:
I think it looks pretty good as well, and the discoloration in the heat affected zone from the welding process is quite unique, something I like in bikes as long as it isn't too out there. I would much prefer this look to the crazy curved tubes that a few manufacturers offer now (ie norco).

Ugh, hydroforming. I don't mind a few curves, like on the SC Jackal, and V-10, but the new Specialized and Norco bikes are just ridiculous.

I know it's a little late, but since the guy above me brought this back, here it goes.

Norco doesn't use hydroforming to shape their tubes do they? I haven't seen one of the new curvy bikes in person, and haven't spent a great deal of time gawking at pictures, but I thought they were solid, bent tubes? I could very easily be way off though.

Posted: Feb 24, 2009 at 18:55 Quote
mtbsuffolk wrote:
its a norco 250 frame https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2096618/

haha no its not. they look completely different, the 250 has a waaaaay smaller headtube gusset for one. and secondly the jawbone frame says the name right on it.

Posted: Feb 25, 2009 at 11:38 Quote
pedalpusher01 wrote:
mtbsuffolk wrote:

haha no its not. they look completely different, the 250 has a waaaaay smaller headtube gusset for one. and secondly the jawbone frame says the name right on it.

i still think its made by norco they prob just got them to change a few things with the design eg take off the v brake mounts and a standard seat clamp the gusset looks the same to me. dropouts are the same the headtube is the same the chain device mounts look the same.

Posted: Feb 25, 2009 at 11:42 Quote
mtbsuffolk wrote:
pedalpusher01 wrote:
mtbsuffolk wrote:

i still think its made by norco they prob just got them to change a few things with the design eg take off the v brake mounts and a standard seat clamp the gusset looks the same to me. dropouts are the same the headtube is the same the chain device mounts look the same.

thats like saying NS and black market or made the same... too bad there not. you have nothing to back up what your saying so stop trying to act like you know everything.

Posted: Feb 25, 2009 at 12:46 Quote
pedalpusher01 wrote:
mtbsuffolk wrote:
pedalpusher01 wrote:

thats like saying NS and black market or made the same... too bad there not. you have nothing to back up what your saying so stop trying to act like you know everything.

You don’t have anything to back up what your saying apart form the fact they have different paint/stickers on so stop trying to act like you know anything.

What do other people think?

Posted: Feb 25, 2009 at 12:53 Quote
you have nothing to prove that they are the same frame. and why would they be in the first place, answer me that one. and they clearly have different geo too so that instantly makes them different frames.

Posted: Feb 25, 2009 at 13:05 Quote
I think there is something to be said for a raw steel hard tail with integrated headsets myself. I give 'em props.

Posted: Feb 25, 2009 at 13:08 Quote
pedalpusher01 wrote:
you have nothing to prove that they are the same frame. and why would they be in the first place, answer me that one. and they clearly have different geo too so that instantly makes them different frames.

Jawbone bikes have just started and this is their only frame it’s much easier and cost effective to buy a product form another company and suggest small design changes to create a custom look, rather than go through the design, CAD modeling finite analysis, manufacture and testing that’s why. You must agree that the designs are very similar if small changes eg paint and stickers that change the geo make it a totally different frame then that’s a matter of opinion.

Posted: Feb 25, 2009 at 13:12 Quote
how is the matter of different geo an opinion? opinions of geo is what you like about it. and did you just pick the 250 just randomly cuz they dont even look the same at all an my eyes.

Posted: Feb 25, 2009 at 13:17 Quote
pedalpusher01 wrote:
how is the matter of different geo an opinion? opinions of geo is what you like about it. and did you just pick the 250 just randomly cuz they dont even look the same at all an my eyes.

i think you must be blind

Posted: Feb 25, 2009 at 13:29 Quote
Norco don't actually "make" any frames or bikes

they have them made off-shore in Taiwan, by the same factories that many other companies use

some companies use "catalogue" frames with their graphics on, for a lower cost - what is called a "rebadge"

a good example is Azonic, you will find their frames (both hardtail and full suspension) being sold under about a dozen other brand names across Europe, and these frames are all identical, although the Azonic frames sell at a higher price because of their "name" (i.e. they are more established / credible and so charge more)

other companies selling a frame at a higher pricepoint, will take a "catalogue" frame and have little details changed (i.e. dropouts, cable guides) to seperate their product from stock rebadge frames, this costs a little more and they will often charge a little more

then you have companies that have "exclusive" designs that their own design/engineer has spent time working on, and the factory is producing the unique design under contract, and is usually not allowed to produce this design for other clients, unless the owner of the design has licensed their design to other companies

on some occasions, there is a time limit built into the exclusivity, and then other companies are allowed to have the design built with their name on, or they do a deal where they don't sell their branded frame into the same territory as the owner of the exclusive design

its all business, and there aren't that many factories making good quality bike frames, or that many design/engineers actually designing this stuff

I know of one guy based in Taiwan who works for about 10 different companies on contract

Posted: Feb 25, 2009 at 13:48 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
Norco don't actually "make" any frames or bikes

they have them made off-shore in Taiwan, by the same factories that many other companies use

some companies use "catalogue" frames with their graphics on, for a lower cost - what is called a "rebadge"

a good example is Azonic, you will find their frames (both hardtail and full suspension) being sold under about a dozen other brand names across Europe, and these frames are all identical, although the Azonic frames sell at a higher price because of their "name" (i.e. they are more established / credible and so charge more)

other companies selling a frame at a higher pricepoint, will take a "catalogue" frame and have little details changed (i.e. dropouts, cable guides) to seperate their product from stock rebadge frames, this costs a little more and they will often charge a little more

then you have companies that have "exclusive" designs that their own design/engineer has spent time working on, and the factory is producing the unique design under contract, and is usually not allowed to produce this design for other clients, unless the owner of the design has licensed their design to other companies

on some occasions, there is a time limit built into the exclusivity, and then other companies are allowed to have the design built with their name on, or they do a deal where they don't sell their branded frame into the same territory as the owner of the exclusive design

its all business, and there aren't that many factories making good quality bike frames, or that many design/engineers actually designing this stuff

I know of one guy based in Taiwan who works for about 10 different companies on contract

Totally agree you can see it all over the place with mtb and many other products that’s what i was trying get at. I am currently working on a frame design for my mechanical engineering degree major project with an aim to possibly getting it manufactured and starting up my own company.

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 at 14:00 Quote
One of my mates (fras2ooCool has one of these, it rides an absolute dream, definetley one of the 3 BEST 26" bikes I've ever ridden. Keep up the good work lads tup

Posted: Mar 5, 2009 at 14:00 Quote
I'm pretty interested in buying the Jawbone chapter 3 frame, does anyone have it? How does it ride for dirt jumps with 24"s? Weight? Thanks guys Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022214
Mobile Version of Website