Powered by Outside

orange alpine or blood...... or any other suggestions?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
orange alpine or blood...... or any other suggestions?
Posted: Aug 29, 2011 at 10:53 Quote
I would like to offer the Specialized Stumpjumper as the best pedaling five inch bike I have ever had the chance to ride. The stumpy pedals with zero bob but is uber plush as soon as you hit the smallest bump. They are pretty capable on the down. On the up they are super sensitive to trail chatter yet somehow maintain near 100% pedal efficiency when over rough or smooth terrain. You wont slip your rear wheel pedaling up much with one. The giant reign/reign X is a bigger all mountain option if you like the downhill sections more then the up. The reigns still pedal awesome though. My favorite trail bike I have ridden is a Giant Reign. Pedals better then the reign X (almost as well as the stumpy) but feels way bigger then a five inch bike. ( I pedal up to see what is on the downside of a hill.) Also it doesn't have to weigh any more then a five inch bike.

Posted: Aug 30, 2011 at 5:54 Quote
if your wanting a small bike, the Nukeproof Mega in small is tiny. i met someone with one, it made my (medium) rememdy look huge haha. you wont find better value for money either, for what they are theyre amazingly cheap Smile in a year or 2 when the remedys going, i might be after one, i love the lines of it.

Posted: Aug 30, 2011 at 13:41 Quote
Mega is a small looking bike for sure

my shop manager has one, and it looks pretty sweet, and amazing value too!

but he's been dribbling over my Devinci Dixon SP, so what can I say Wink

Posted: Aug 30, 2011 at 23:02 Quote
Agent0range wrote:
Love my blood, having said that have only really spent much time on a meta 5.20 then the blood. I bought it as I can ride dh, 4x, trail on it. I would in no way call it all mountain or xc (My build is not light), there is a lot better bikes for that. However you can ride am and xc on it AND have a shit ton of confidence blasting DH tracks and playing on jumps. It all really depends on where your priorities lie. With me I want an allround play bike where I can have more fun on the gravity side but still ride anywhere.

This is the sort of bike im after as an allround playbike i can thrash the british trails, feel comfortable in the air and maybe do some of the tamer dh tracks

Posted: Aug 31, 2011 at 1:37 Quote
hey mate ive seen a hektik for £1700 online in the uk size medium, i nearly bought it myself, its a nice bike i saw a guy on one over the weekend, i recently bought a heckler which im building up more aggressive which is also a great for what you want, the devinci is a bit burlier tho built for some big hits.

Posted: Aug 31, 2011 at 12:16 Quote
mitzi-turbo wrote:
Agent0range wrote:
Love my blood, having said that have only really spent much time on a meta 5.20 then the blood. I bought it as I can ride dh, 4x, trail on it. I would in no way call it all mountain or xc (My build is not light), there is a lot better bikes for that. However you can ride am and xc on it AND have a shit ton of confidence blasting DH tracks and playing on jumps. It all really depends on where your priorities lie. With me I want an allround play bike where I can have more fun on the gravity side but still ride anywhere.

This is the sort of bike im after as an allround playbike i can thrash the british trails, feel comfortable in the air and maybe do some of the tamer dh tracks

I know everyone will have opinions as there is a LOT of bikes that fall into this category, however if you want British built, bombproof and sexy as hell (imho sexiest bike Orange has ever made) you can not go far wrong with the Blood. Finally speak to anyone who has ridden one and they will tell you that the confidence it inspires is crackers. People with Bloods tend to hurt themselves more on the Blood than they do with their other bikes, which can't be a bad thing, eh?

edit: Also think about a Bottle Rocket if the Blood floats your boat and you cant get a good deal on one, as lets be honest they are not a million miles apart.

Posted: Aug 31, 2011 at 13:02 Quote
yes ive been looking at the bottlerockets as well recently, nice lookin and appear to be solid. just may be easier to get orange on finance.
Also do you think i could use a blood for mega avalanche?

Posted: Aug 31, 2011 at 13:26 Quote
mitzi-turbo wrote:
yes ive been looking at the bottlerockets as well recently, nice lookin and appear to be solid. just may be easier to get orange on finance.

Asking the wrong man mate Mega would probably kill me haha. If your on facebook like Orange Bikes and ask there. Seen quite a few pictures of Bloods at enduro events including the Mega on their page. People who have commented have said they do well at enduro and UK DH. Apparently Rowan Sorrel rode a Blood quite a bit and seamed to not do too bad (there is also a vid of him riding on one on a sweet trail), however the pros who ride oranges for that type of riding tend to lean towards the Alpine 160. That said a better time on the stopwatch does not always mean that the rider had more fun on the way down. Yes I'm bias as I love my Blood but just my 2 cents

Posted: Aug 31, 2011 at 13:32 Quote
Agent0range wrote:
mitzi-turbo wrote:

Asking the wrong man mate Mega would probably kill me haha. If your on facebook like Orange Bikes and ask there. Seen quite a few pictures of Bloods at enduro events including the Mega on their page. People who have commented have said they do well at enduro and UK DH. Apparently Rowan Sorrel rode a Blood quite a bit and seamed to not do too bad (there is also a vid of him riding on one on a sweet trail), however the pros who ride oranges for that type of riding tend to lean towards the Alpine 160. That said a better time on the stopwatch does not always mean that the rider had more fun on the way down. Yes I'm bias as I love my Blood but just my 2 cents

cool i'll check it out. im not a pro so i just want to have a good time with my riding. I've been riding a orange subzero for a few years now and just love the feel and geometry, jumps well, even taken it to a few DH tracks and the blood just look's to be a the natural progression, with rear travel. Not to fussed for the dh really tho as i have a bike for this. thanks for your advice man Beer Beer Beer

Posted: Aug 31, 2011 at 14:16 Quote
Seems you got your heart set on an orange, the blood looks a little more gravity orientated like the bottlerocket, the alpine 160 is a sweet bike maybe more suited to what you say you want, from what ive heard and read the bottlerockets a nightmare to pedal uphill and the blood looks very similar, unless you plan on spending loads of time with your tyres in the air id go with the alpine, both nice bikes tho.

Posted: Aug 31, 2011 at 14:22 Quote
If you like the bottlerocket dartmoor cycles has a cheap demo frame, was ridden once by the lad who works there but he couldnt get on with it.

Posted: Aug 31, 2011 at 14:29 Quote
Dan1210 wrote:
Seems you got your heart set on an orange, the blood looks a little more gravity orientated like the bottlerocket, the alpine 160 is a sweet bike maybe more suited to what you say you want, from what ive heard and read the bottlerockets a nightmare to pedal uphill and the blood looks very similar, unless you plan on spending loads of time with your tyres in the air id go with the alpine, both nice bikes tho.

haha i know i have wanted both of these bikes for a while but i also don't want to buy something out of blind faith and its good seeing what other riders think and other bikes that are in the same cut as these 2. and have to say i am tempted by some of them

i need a few test rides

Posted: Aug 31, 2011 at 14:33 Quote
If i had my 3k back that ive just spent on my last 2 bikes i would have got the trek scratch air or even hang out for the upcoming slash maybe next year...

Posted: Aug 31, 2011 at 14:49 Quote
Dan1210 wrote:
If i had my 3k back that ive just spent on my last 2 bikes i would have got the trek scratch air or even hang out for the upcoming slash maybe next year...

my mates got a trek scratch and he really rates it, and it goes uphill really well, but they are expensive!!!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019314
Mobile Version of Website