Powered by Outside

Best all mountain frame

Posted: Sep 22, 2011 at 21:16 Quote
BRIANgt89 wrote:
Or even the ibis mojo

I have been debating the OP's question for almost a year now...

-The Cannondale as it is a great bike, but only comes as a complete (so i have been told) I like the Claymore personally
-The Santa Cruz Nomad/Blur and Intense Uzzi/Tracer will be very similar, but after sitting on a DW link bike, VPP feels funky
-The Ibis is the way I would go. Your only spending a couple hundred $ than a Santa Cruz frame (aluminum) and the same amount as a Santa Cruz carbon frame.

I have ridden both the SL and the HD versions of the Mojo and man do they feel like heaven. I found myself pushing the limits on every turn trying to see where it would give out, and i just kept getting more confident and confident

Brian lopes is kicking ass on the Mojo HD as well, beating many DH guys on dual crown 200mm travel bikes

Posted: Sep 23, 2011 at 9:43 Quote
BRIANgt89 wrote:
I'm looking to build an all mountain bike from scratch and can't decide what frame to go with here are is a list of bikes i'm thinking of i want to build a true do everything bike thats tuff enough for drops and downhill but is still an all mountain bike
Cannondale jekyll
Lapierre spicy
Trek remedy
Yeti SB-66

or any other suggestions
Thanks
a trek slash frame

Posted: Sep 23, 2011 at 18:04 Quote
I read that MBA review. I kept thinnking did they really take the time to dial it in ?
Its basically the same design as the Trek

Posted: Sep 26, 2011 at 7:25 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
[
MBA are completely full of sh*t, and have very little credibility amongst serious mountain bikers (they tried to relabel Freeride as "black diamond"!)

a common trait of the concentric pivot: Split pivot and ABP (trek) bikes is the active braking, its the whole point of the design!!

I have ridden my Dixon SP on DH uplift days in wales (UK) on very rough tracks in bad conditions, and was very pleased with the braking response - equal to my previous bike which was a FSR (horst pivot) design

Actually that was RC who was trying to change the name, and he works for Pinkbike now.....

I don't agree with MBA always either, but should I listen to them, or a guy who just spent a wad on his and has to defend his purchase.....hmmmmm, JK man glad you love your bike.....

Posted: Sep 26, 2011 at 10:24 Quote
triallison wrote:
hampsteadbandit wrote:
[
MBA are completely full of sh*t, and have very little credibility amongst serious mountain bikers (they tried to relabel Freeride as "black diamond"!)

a common trait of the concentric pivot: Split pivot and ABP (trek) bikes is the active braking, its the whole point of the design!!

I have ridden my Dixon SP on DH uplift days in wales (UK) on very rough tracks in bad conditions, and was very pleased with the braking response - equal to my previous bike which was a FSR (horst pivot) design

Actually that was RC who was trying to change the name, and he works for Pinkbike now.....

I don't agree with MBA always either, but should I listen to them, or a guy who just spent a wad on his and has to defend his purchase.....hmmmmm, JK man glad you love your bike.....

I paid nothing for my Dixon (it was a gift from a former employer)

I have owned dozens of high end mountain bikes including single-pivots, faux-bars, FSR and virtual pivots

I used to own a downhill frame manufacturing company (I was an industrial designer) involved with the early days of the FSR system, so speak from practical experience about brake performance

MBA have made a weird comment that NO other magazine or website in the World who have reviewed the Dixon has even raised??

maybe they know something that all these others simply don't know??

or perhaps, they could just be full of it....

Posted: Sep 26, 2011 at 12:11 Quote
Congratulations on all your success, you smell terrific....a

Posted: Sep 27, 2011 at 13:20 Quote
triallison wrote:
Congratulations on all your success, you smell terrific....a

why thank you Wink

I hear you smell terrific too!!

happy trails Smile

Posted: Sep 28, 2011 at 9:25 Quote
You should go demo some bikes and see what feels best to you. I have ridden and really like these:
Ibis Mojo HD
Santa Cruz Nomad
Yeti 575
Yeti Asr7
Yeti SB-66

Posted: Sep 28, 2011 at 22:53 Quote
Love my Tracer2, great bike

Posted: Sep 28, 2011 at 23:01 Quote
sidekicked wrote:
Love my Tracer2, great bike

tracer 2's can be problematic... a friend who had one broke it twice in a month and the ccdb supplied with it rubbed on the frame... they look sweet as i had one but sold it before ever building...

Posted: Sep 28, 2011 at 23:04 Quote
I hear ya, there's always a few lemons out there. I have one, as well as two friends. Happy to report no problems!

Posted: Sep 29, 2011 at 12:42 Quote
the-wylie-man wrote:
Nukeproof Mega.
Had mine a few months now and i can barely stop riding it!
Been on trail centre jaunts / 25mile+ xc rides / DH / even commute to work on it. Its aimed slightly more at descending than climbing but even with a single ring i can manage 99% of climbs, and then it blasts the descents, abd its cheap!
+1 for the nukeproof mega i will be building one up with 36 talas and xtr drive in the next 2 months cant wait Big Grin

O+
Posted: Sep 29, 2011 at 23:25 Quote
Loving my Yeti! SB-66

Trew a DHX RC4 coil shock and 36 float on it.

Posted: Sep 29, 2011 at 23:40 Quote
If you can get a second hand GIANT VT frame and build from there these are a great bargain (build around 150mm forks). OR go for a new 2011 GIANT REIGN, the maestro suspension is well known & now with SIX years development. There is a lot of hype around head angles etc etc the media have to make sales after all, but they are nowadays ALL good its all about how you build it and make it yours. I'd definatly make a point to use Rock shox SEKTOR COIL's - STANS ZTR RIMS with MAXXIS DUAL PLY MINIONS (I like the DHR's because they are most predictable in ALL situations), I like WIDE low risers (nuke proof war heads are fab!) stem / seat post is a fit preference thing depends if you are going to climb or not and want ALL mountain all trails or just focus on one aspect (NO BIKE CAN DO IT ALL 100% - you choose). GOOD LUCK, by the way what is your budget?

Posted: Sep 29, 2011 at 23:52 Quote
KTMDirtFace wrote:
Loving my Yeti! SB-66

Trew a DHX RC4 coil shock and 36 float on it.

Dude. You just build my all-in-one bike! How does it handle the coil? Beer

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.027423
Mobile Version of Website