Shimano Zee, Saints or XT 4 piston?
  • Next Page
O+ FL
Posted: Nov 25, 2018 at 8:32 Quote
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:
Codes

I like stopping

I'm assuming you have never tried codes before, they are true quality. Unlike shimanos on/off switches.

FL
Posted: Nov 25, 2018 at 11:35 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:
Codes

I like stopping

I'm assuming you have never tried codes before, they are true quality. Unlike shimanos on/off switches.

My friends have had nothing but trouble with 4 pot SRAM brakes, including Codes. Mainly jamming pistons, but all sorts of other issues as well.

JP

Posted: Nov 25, 2018 at 13:03 Quote
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
I ride mainly Steep, Loose and Rocky trails (SoCal). What brakes do you recommend? I don't care about pricing just reliability. I'm assuming all of these brakes have great stopping power so really just worried about which ones last the longest.

metal ice pads and 203 rotors with sly,xt,xtr,zee, saint you'll be golden

Posted: Nov 25, 2018 at 20:35 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:
Codes

I like stopping

I've tried them. I just like the on off feel that Shimano and hope give.

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2019 at 1:33 Quote
I've had crap experiences with both sram guides and the xt m8000. Switched to the prior model deore with 203 rotors and the finned pads. They worked great. Just got a new ripmo and puts saints on there. No bite point issues so far but that's my only fear. I gave my xt brakes away for free because of the wandering bite point issue.

Whatever you get, make sure you take the 30 minutes to bed the pads and rotors in before you take your first ride.

Posted: Feb 8, 2019 at 6:16 Quote
I've been in the same predicament I ride enduro stuff and long steep natural descents I've decided to order zees not a bad word in any reviews and just a saint caliper with lighter strength lever which seems to be how ews riders run saints with a trail xtr lever slighter less power than saint but more than all sram xt and hope and apparently better modulation than saints although modulation is in your fingers and on sale at moment for 100 a brake without rotors can't go wrong just don't come with finned pads and want to get ice tech rotors with them

FL
Posted: Feb 8, 2019 at 19:56 Quote
If you get the Zee's from JensonUSA, they come with the Saint finned metal pads. A friend of mine has the new XT 4 piston, and Zee's are definitely more of an on/off feel. I run my levers super close to the bar, so when I grab them I want them to be ON, lol.

FL
Posted: Feb 9, 2019 at 3:31 Quote
Hope, not the most powerful but defo most reliable brake I've used, E4 here but I'd go V4 if ur heavier or ride a lot of DH

O+
Posted: Feb 9, 2019 at 3:47 Quote
I've had SLX (old 2 piston), 2x Hope Tech3 E4's, XTR's and Guide R's..

I've always come back to the Hopes for the reliability and overall power per cost. Will definitely be sticking with Hope from now on.

Plus they have swish colours.

Posted: May 23, 2021 at 19:50 Quote
The Saint pads (H03) are currently $45 dollars compared to the Xt J03 pads which are $25. Are the J03’s compatible on saints? Only difference I can tell is that the Saint pads have a rounded bottom of the pad compared to squares off on the xt.

Posted: May 24, 2021 at 2:06 Quote
Formula cura/4 is also good option to look at.

FL
Posted: May 24, 2021 at 15:28 Quote
Have had Zee's for a year in my 2019 RM altitude... Been fantastic with semi-metalic pads off Amazon.

O+
Posted: May 24, 2021 at 15:59 Quote
I have had good luck with my Zees. They replaced a pair of Sram Guide RS's on my YT Jeffsy. Not a fair comparison since the Guides are more of a trail brake but boy was I happy to get back on a pair of Shimano brakes! The feel is just awesome and what I am used to. Easy to bleed and easy to find pads and replacement parts. I heard good things about Magura but Shimano is so common and has such a great feel I see no reason to change.

Idk what pads the Zees come installed with but I run H03C metallic pads. From what I was told the Zee brakes are just a slightly cheaper and less adjustable Saint brake.

Lots of people complain about wandering bite point on Shimano brakes but it has never been an issue on my Zees on anything from smooth flowy trail riding to bike park days.

O+
Posted: May 24, 2021 at 22:54 Quote
meebo wrote:
Formula cura/4 is also good option to look at.

f*ck no.
Badly placed bleed ports. Tons of bleeding needed to get a hard rear lever..... with 200cc syringes.
Low pad roll back resulting in rotor drag even with brand new rotors.

And a bit springy feel.
The old formulas felt rock hard. New ones are soft, soft levers, lines that balloon, and a caliper you can watch flex... unlike the old formula formula ones.

Posted: Feb 5, 2024 at 23:42 Quote
I have rocked guide rs, code rsc, shimano saints, and shimano Slx. My Saints do have wandering bite point it’s annoying but super powerful and reliable brakes besides the once in a while lose bite. Guide RS have great modulation and very good stopping power but not crazy stopping power. Code rsc have the modulation and power but not quite as much as saint. SLX 4 piston are good bang for the buck for enduro or all mountain and so are shimano zee for dh. Deore 4 piston pots and putting Slx levers is a great set up for cheap and lots of stopping power.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012229
Mobile Version of Website