230x65mm Fox X2 + offset hardware on Nomad V4?

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
230x65mm Fox X2 + offset hardware on Nomad V4?
Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 15:08 Quote
One thing to keep in mind is that with the stock link if you throw the 65 mm shock on there the leverage ratio actually starts increasing again at the very end of travel. This makes bottoming out slightly easier once you pass the stock 60 mm shock travel. The rear triangle is the same for all frame sizes, so that won't be a factor for anyone. This was my solution to the whole thing https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/RichardSherman,49302/setup,38909?page=2

O+
Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 15:17 Quote
As OP I would love some video of the bike compressing all the way through, like the PB dudes do sometimes on long term reviews.

Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 16:19 Quote
taquitos wrote:
One thing to keep in mind is that with the stock link if you throw the 65 mm shock on there the leverage ratio actually starts increasing again at the very end of travel. This makes bottoming out slightly easier once you pass the stock 60 mm shock travel. The rear triangle is the same for all frame sizes, so that won't be a factor for anyone. This was my solution to the whole thing https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/RichardSherman,49302/setup,38909?page=2

Are those parts available to buy?

Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 21:52 Quote
cheeseontost wrote:

Potentially. I'd have to work out larger scale manufacturing details to nail down a price. My guess is it would be between $150 and $200 USD. Color options would initially be limited to blue ano, black ano, clear ano, and raw. I'm curious what people would want as far as a non-stock link goes. This design is based off what I wanted, but I'd like to hear what others are interested in.

TBaggins wrote:
As OP I would love some video of the bike compressing all the way through, like the PB dudes do sometimes on long term reviews.

I'll do that as soon as I stop riding the bike... It's just too fun to put down haha

O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2019 at 15:11 Quote
Finally a god damn engineer. I couldn't use your bearing eyelet on my float x2 (any thoughts on the RWC needle bearing kits?) but if I can find someone to remove my travel spacer for me (my shop is not equipped for in depth sus service) then I'd be very interested in your linkage there. CNC aluminum I'm guessing?

I wonder if I could send my FX2 to fox factory and have them take the spacer out, and change the shims to prevent that leverage rise at the end of the travel? Or is it the physical linkage only that determines that curve?
Thanks for the actual effort; I appreciate your filled rolled tortillaness.

Posted: Apr 26, 2019 at 15:39 Quote
TBaggins wrote:
Finally a god damn engineer. I couldn't use your bearing eyelet on my float x2 (any thoughts on the RWC needle bearing kits?) but if I can find someone to remove my travel spacer for me (my shop is not equipped for in depth sus service) then I'd be very interested in your linkage there. CNC aluminum I'm guessing?

I wonder if I could send my FX2 to fox factory and have them take the spacer out, and change the shims to prevent that leverage rise at the end of the travel? Or is it the physical linkage only that determines that curve?
Thanks for the actual effort; I appreciate your filled rolled tortillaness.
Correct. The link is CNC 6061-T6 aluminum. I've been torture testing it for about a month. Plenty of gas to flat for good measure. The physical linkage is what determines the leverage curve, so altering shims wouldn't help there. If you look at their drawing (https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/img/help/page864-F74D/Assembly-Drawing-2018-FLOAT-X2.jpg) the travel spacers should be easily removable by the factory.

The needle bearing kits work well. They aren't sealed and are slightly less smooth than ball bearings, but still a good option if you want the slight bit of extra sensitivity. I actually have a prototype ball bearing eyelet intended for the X2. The two bearing cups thread through the 15 mm hole on the end of the shock. It still needs a little refinement I think (the bearings have one rough spot), but functionally its fine. Looks like this, except I pressed the bearings in. I could potentially ship it your way for the cost of feedback...<Photo is private>

Posted: Apr 28, 2019 at 0:13 Quote
taquitos wrote:
cheeseontost wrote:

Potentially. I'd have to work out larger scale manufacturing details to nail down a price. My guess is it would be between $150 and $200 USD. Color options would initially be limited to blue ano, black ano, clear ano, and raw. I'm curious what people would want as far as a non-stock link goes. This design is based off what I wanted, but I'd like to hear what others are interested in.

If you're ever in a position to sell these I'd love to try one out as I've been trying to squeeze all the travel out of it as I can for the upcoming park season.

Posted: Apr 28, 2019 at 20:17 Quote
Austinjewett wrote:
If you're ever in a position to sell these I'd love to try one out as I've been trying to squeeze all the travel out of it as I can for the upcoming park season.

So These are going to be made available soonish now. Still haven't nailed down a price, but the plan is to run an initial batch of ten and use that to help figure it out. I'll let you know when they are officially for sale.

I've been tempted to put a 40 on my Nomad. I think that coupled with the extra travel would make a really fun park bike.

Posted: May 30, 2019 at 23:57 Quote
The Nomad LT link is available now. Only black and raw at the moment unless you want to wait a fair bit for blue. Check it out if you want at http://cascadecomponents.bike/

O+
Posted: May 31, 2019 at 9:40 Quote
Righteous! Thanks Brue

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 7:41 Quote
I have a large nomad 4 cc, you reckon they'd be no problem putting a 230x65 fox float on? Currently have the dhx2 with spacer on.

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 10:55 Quote
bullgoose76 wrote:
I have a large nomad 4 cc, you reckon they'd be no problem putting a 230x65 fox float on? Currently have the dhx2 with spacer on.

I have the exact same and have a 230x65 shock, no problems but occasionally on really hard bottom outs I get a little tire rub in the back of the seat tube. I don't feel the rub when I'm riding and some clear tape protects the frame. But again this only happens on huge hucks to flat.

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 at 18:22 Quote
Hey just wanna say if you do this the shocks are not actually the same, on the 230x60 vs the 65 the ifp is at a different height, the 60mm has more oil so when you take out the spacer it compresses too much so the oil has no where to go. This makes it leak then get air in the damper. I did it and had to then service my shock. Easy fix but I recommend if you do it also service the shock same time and set the ifp to proper height for a 65mm stroke

Posted: Sep 7, 2019 at 19:55 Quote
Kliffjumper wrote:
Hey just wanna say if you do this the shocks are not actually the same, on the 230x60 vs the 65 the ifp is at a different height, the 60mm has more oil so when you take out the spacer it compresses too much so the oil has no where to go. This makes it leak then get air in the damper. I did it and had to then service my shock. Easy fix but I recommend if you do it also service the shock same time and set the ifp to proper height for a 65mm stroke

The Sram spec for IFP oil volume is the same for 45-65 mm stroke shocks so it's interesting that you ran into that. If it had been previously serviced maybe they put too much oil in. The 75 mm stroke is the only one with a different oil volume.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.403065
Mobile Version of Website