Powered by Outside

Ebikes? love them or hate them?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Ebikes? love them or hate them?
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 9:46 Quote
I think ebikes are tons of fun. Cant afford one, so i just ride regular. Suits me fine. In aspen they are everywhere. I have seen some things that can be a concern. I get the idea that they enable people who are older or suffering from long standing injuries to enjoy the sport. Thats fantastic, but a few trails here can create a problem. For example if you ride up one area here, it is so heavily used and below treeline the number of intersections and social trails is unbelievable. It is quite easy to make a wrong turn at a few junctions that result in riding into an entirely different drainage that puts a person in a situation requiring a very long climb back out (if they can find the way back, or a really long ride out to the highway, and a really long ride back up the bike path unless you get lucky and get one of the coveted 2 bike spots on the local bus. If your ebike battery dies way out there, now a person with limited ability or longstanding injury no longer enjoys electric assist, they have to pedal a ship anchor of a beast in rough terrain limely uphill just to get out. Not really helping them get into the sport. The other thing that is a more direct concern is older people and inexperienced people rent these bikes and head out on the bike path. This is great fun, BUT, HORRIFIC CRASHES ARE RESULTING FROM PEOPLE LOOSING CONTROL OF HEAVY EBIKES UNDER POWER. they dont have skill to handle a regular bike and now they are on a bike that is a missle if they lose control. Several people in the emergency room for this just in july with serious injuries. These folks are just trying to enjoy themselves, but it really is not that much different than putting grandma on a motorcycle to ride on a bike path with children and other innocent victims in her out of control path. Patch of gravel or blind turn with kids and strollers all over and you can imagine what is gonna happen. I dont care cause i dont ride the bike path, and trail riding has its own hazards with or without a motor. Ive shared trails in colorado springs with high power motocross guys and never had any problems, so ebike is fine with me. Just hope everyone has fun and doesnt get hurt.

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 11:00 Quote
sitkadog wrote:
It’s pretty funny how many so called hard core mountain bikers think e-bikes are the spawn of Satan but will happily spend all day driving up and down the same bumpy dusty road beating the crap out of their trucks with their $10,000 carbon superbikes in the back. .

That's not the same thing. The bumpy dusty road is designated for trucks and the condition of the road/trail reflects that. No one is driving their trucks on single track (obviously).

For the record, I don't ride a carbon bikes and my bike cost a fraction of $10K and I don't drive on dirt roads to get to riding spots.

I'm curious if some people who don't get the concern over e-bikes weren't riding back when Hikers wanted nothing to do with Bikers and trail access was scarce (or maybe you live in an area with low population density and never had a problem). It's taken advocacy groups decades of hard work to get the trail access many of us enjoy today. I like the idea of e-bikes for certain riders, it's really opening up a can of worms and poses a significant risk for MTB access. They should be managed separately and I think both groups can have an amount of access that is satisfactory. If your area has plenty of trails and no mixed use concerns, then designate lots of trails for e-bikes/multi-use. High traffic areas need to be more careful and designate or limit uses of trails.

Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 11:06 Quote
MassNerd wrote:
sitkadog wrote:
It’s pretty funny how many so called hard core mountain bikers think e-bikes are the spawn of Satan but will happily spend all day driving up and down the same bumpy dusty road beating the crap out of their trucks with their $10,000 carbon superbikes in the back. .

That's not the same thing. The bumpy dusty road is designated for trucks and the condition of the road/trail reflects that. No one is driving their trucks on single track (obviously).

For the record, I don't ride a carbon bikes and my bike cost a fraction of $10K and I don't drive on dirt roads to get to riding spots.

I'm curious if some people who don't get the concern over e-bikes weren't riding back when Hikers wanted nothing to do with Bikers and trail access was scarce (or maybe you live in an area with low population density and never had a problem). It's taken advocacy groups decades of hard work to get the trail access many of us enjoy today. I like the idea of e-bikes for certain riders, it's really opening up a can of worms and poses a significant risk for MTB access. They should be managed separately and I think both groups can have an amount of access that is satisfactory. If your area has plenty of trails and no mixed use concerns, then designate lots of trails for e-bikes/multi-use. High traffic areas need to be more careful and designate or limit uses of trails.

Word.

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2019 at 22:55 Quote
MassNerd wrote:
sitkadog wrote:

You are totally missing my point. I just find it really silly that people will shuttle all day and shit on e bikes. If people aren’t into pedalling Why not just get an e bike and at least spend your day riding a bike instead of sitting in a freaking truck... isn’t the whole point to be riding bikes and not driving all day?

e bikes aren’t mini motorcycles, the average lazy shuttler will climb about as fast on one as a strong climber. As long as they don’t try to go up downhill trails i really don’t see what the big deal Is.

Posted: Dec 10, 2021 at 1:02 Quote
E bike is a new way for commuting. It is friendly to our live environment. I got one electric bike from eskute.co.uk, which really helps me

Posted: Dec 10, 2021 at 3:37 Quote
I kinda love them and hate them in equal measure.

I have a haibike adventure bike with their fly on system in the garage and it’s superb for sipping around on locally and gentle trail rides. It does around 35mph, has a luggage rack and integrated lights so is a viable alternative to the car.

I also have a lapierre overvolt with Bosch’s system which is technically the wife’s. The fly on system has some really clever smart features such as theft tracking and electric locking, being able to share your ride and real time location too is a nice feature. It’s also really easy to peddle with no assistance being a flywheel Based system with no gearbox to drive through. I suspect it won’t be too reliable if used in mud regularly though. It’s over twice the power of the Bosch system which is bonkers when you get used to it.

What I hate about them is the reliability, shit non specific drivetrains and the fact that every 18 months. New bike is effectively ‘old hat’ due to new tech larger battery etc. If you’ve got a 500wh battery and your mates have just got 725wh batteries then you are going to either go slower, work harder or not go as far as them.
I also don’t like the extra weight on really technical and steep descents, the weight works against you.

For me they are a great addition to the garage but will never replace a non assisted bike. Riding an e bike to it’s full potential for me involves rides that involve climbs that you simply can’t get up on a normal bike and so an off-road ebike ride will differ from a non assisted route. It’s almost like different take on the sport in the same way XC differs from Enduro.

Loads of my riding friends have recently moved onto them as they are getting on In Years and I think they will get a shock at the running costs and reliability issues which are very real in uk conditions. Drive trains only last around the 3rd of the time they last on a non assisted bike for me and that’s with careful shifting. I’ve been out with mates who’ve lunched a chain shifting under full power on a climb.

Posted: Dec 10, 2021 at 10:07 Quote
mearchd wrote:
E bike is a new way for commuting. It is friendly to our live environment. I got one electric bike from eskute.co.uk, which really helps me

Friendlier than driving, but not friendlier than cycling a normal bike.

I just got one for getting back to the top of the hill without being too knackered to ride back down. Loving the DH again.

Posted: Dec 10, 2021 at 19:12 Quote
don't want one, don't need one but I do see how they can benefit some individuals and that is fine with me.

Posted: Dec 10, 2021 at 23:44 Quote
Tried them a few times.
But it did not reward me when I pedal hard.
I like the idea of a quick after work ride, but on Tubo I just pedal some easy watts until I hit the resistance wall. Pedelling harder has absolutely no benefit (motor is already at 100%)
On eco mode it is more or less the same. The bike is just slower but won't become significant faster if I try hard.
I can't really challenge myself on the uphills as hard as on a normal bike. So I ordered a lighter, well climbing Enduro.

Posted: Dec 11, 2021 at 14:16 Quote
Virtually every single e-moped I encounter is riding where they aren't legal. That's a big problem in of itself. The other issue is that almost every single person I see riding one doesn't seem to be a very proficient rider. That makes it very dangerous for the people who are legally riding actual bicycles. Encountering someone who can't even ride in a straight line coming head on at you is bad enough, when they are going pro racer speeds it really ups the ante.

For perspective, I am 63 and I've had 14 knee surgeries, an artificial knee and 9 foot and ankle surgeries. I walk with a cane most of the time, but I still ride better than I walk. The argument that older people need a motor bike to keep going is completely specious. The truth is just the opposite. Riding a bicycle has helped me recover from my injuries, keeps my heart and lungs strong and makes my health better in general.

There's nothing wrong with riding a motorcycle, but you need a level of skill commensurate with your machine. And it goes without saying you need to stick with legal riding areas. Also, for me the bottom line is that if I'm going to spend 15 grand on a motorized bike it would have to be one I could ride to Alaska.

Posted: Dec 11, 2021 at 15:24 Quote
There is a designated E-bike section on PinkBike now. I still call them Mopeds and don’t want one. I either want pedals or a motor, but guess there would be some benefit to have pedals for when the battery dies.

Posted: Dec 11, 2021 at 15:34 Quote
I am old and could no longer keep up with riding buds on an acoustic bike. So I got an E-bike and love it. It has 5 settings for assistance. I keep it on 1, the lowest, and still get a great workout and can keep up. Very seldom I'll go turbo in #5 and blow by them all for fun. I don't get the electric moped someone mentions. This is a real bicycle, full suspension made by Giant, 27.5 wheels and has a rechargeable 500 watt motor near the cranks. It weighs 54 lb which is not noticeable while riding but is while pushing or loading on hitch rack. My regular Trance MTB weighs 25 lb for comparison.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015880
Mobile Version of Website