Powered by Outside

Newest Tallboy vs. last gen ?

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Newest Tallboy vs. last gen ?
O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 19:42 Quote
photo

Got a couple days in on our V4 demo bike now. Man it is not like the V3 at all. Rear suspension feels progressive, near bottomless feel. Stock shock setup has .4 spacer in I think... Ran the bike in high day 1 then next day in low. Low is better no doubt if you ask me. Lots of potential to build one for either agro xc or an agro trail bike with 140mm fork and different tires to suit. And of course the flip chips.

A very big change from the previous V3 tallboy. SC went deep with all the flip chip options.

Cant wait to get one in spring now!

FL
Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 15:02 Quote
Anyone fitted another shock to the TB4? I have read a coil or shock wih a big aircan wont fit. Would a small airshock with piggyback fit?

O+
Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 17:55 Quote
Bladin wrote:
Anyone fitted another shock to the TB4? I have read a coil or shock wih a big aircan wont fit. Would a small airshock with piggyback fit?

Dpx2 or super deluxe fits if you can get the right size.

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 19:46 Quote
Bladin wrote:
Came here just to post about this. I managed to fit a Cane Creek DBail IL in my large tallboy. Took some fiddling with shock bushings and offsetting the 1.5 mm but I feel it has plenty of clearance. Maybe not fo super muddy conditions but I have a could I can run if needed. Hard to get a good picture and it looks tighter than it actually is. About 2mm clearance on either side.
photo

photo

photo

Posted: Jan 30, 2020 at 7:44 Quote
dang3rb0y wrote:
Bladin wrote:
Came here just to post about this. I managed to fit a Cane Creek DBail IL in my large tallboy. Took some fiddling with shock bushings and offsetting the 1.5 mm but I feel it has plenty of clearance. Maybe not fo super muddy conditions but I have a could I can run if needed. Hard to get a good picture and it looks tighter than it actually is. About 2mm clearance on either side.

Let us know if any wear appears after some miles. There shouldn't be too much flex in this area, but it's possible you'll still get a little contact.

FL
Posted: Jan 30, 2020 at 13:49 Quote
dang3rb0y wrote:
Bladin wrote:
photo

photo

photo

Thanks for the info! Did not understand what you mean by fidlling with bushings and offsetting the 1.5mm though? Please keep us updated if it works.

Posted: Jan 30, 2020 at 18:29 Quote
That is a tight fit!

Anyone taken a similar path as me, and back to the TB4 from a longer travel bike, like the LT I am on now?

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 13:56 Quote
Thanks for the info! Did not understand what you mean by fidlling with bushings and offsetting the 1.5mm though? Please keep us updated if it works.[/Quote]

If you look at the last picture you can see the non-drive side bushing spacer is 1.5 mm shorter than the drive side spacer. That’s what I meant by offset

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 17:36 Quote
dang3rb0y wrote:
If you look at the last picture you can see the non-drive side bushing spacer is 1.5 mm shorter than the drive side spacer. That’s what I meant by offset

Interesting modification. Does a stock set-up position the shock off-centre in the seat-tube portal?

O+
Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 19:21 Quote
gmoss wrote:
That is a tight fit!

Anyone taken a similar path as me, and back to the TB4 from a longer travel bike, like the LT I am on now?

TB4 is just as capable as a HTLT with the right pilot. My experience going to the TB4 is more feedback from the trail coming through the rear suspension being tuned to be a good pedalling, efficient bike overall.

Both bikes are great obviously. TB4 being more efficient rear suspension and considerably better geometry for climbing, and descending if you ask me. You just run out of travel on big terrain. TB4 is more fatiguing on prolonged, rougher descents but is a ripper everywhere for sure.

I will have a megatower and TB4 for the quiver this year. Stoked.

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 19:52 Quote
Interesting modification. Does a stock set-up position the shock off-centre in the seat-tube portal?[/Quote]

Nope. Stock postition is right in the middle. The drive side arch has the routing for the dropper post so im guessing that’s why it’s a little thicker/ less clearance on that side.

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 19:58 Quote
We may be miscommunicating.

Correct me if I'm wrong:

• Stock set-up has equal spacers on both sides.
• Stock set-up positions the shock in the middle of the rocker.
• Stock set-up does not have equal space on either side of the shock.
• Therefore, the shock portal through the seat-tube is not centered.
• You moved the shock over to center the shock in the portal and create symmetrical spacing between the shock and the portal.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 1, 2020 at 0:36 Quote
Really tempted by the mk4 but really enjoy riding my mk3, its just a great little runabout for some of the local trails near me where there is a lot of elevation required to get anywhere so it ability to climb is very much appreciated, not sure if thats there with the new bike? I have a Megatower for the burly stuff but I just enjoy the TB mk3 so much, struggling to justify moving to the new gen version.
Just off the Olympic Trail Mui Wo

Posted: Feb 1, 2020 at 19:08 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
We may be miscommunicating.

Correct me if I'm wrong:

• Stock set-up has equal spacers on both sides.
• Stock set-up positions the shock in the middle of the rocker.
• Stock set-up does not have equal space on either side of the shock.
• Therefore, the shock portal through the seat-tube is not centered.
• You moved the shock over to center the shock in the portal and create symmetrical spacing between the shock and the portal.

Your bang on. That’s exactly what I did. I mistakenly said offset when I should have said off centered

Posted: Feb 1, 2020 at 19:40 Quote
Interesting that Santa Cruz didn't set it up as you did. Nicely done, and thanks for the clarification!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016153
Mobile Version of Website