Powered by Outside

Bearing Eyelet Tool Warning

PB Forum :: Rocky Mountain Bikes
Bearing Eyelet Tool Warning
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Apr 16, 2021 at 3:23 Quote
Glad to have found this as I dug into swapping out my 2018 Instinct shock for a used replacement (so I can get the damn thing rebuilt without being unable to ride) and discovered the proprietary tooling needed to deal with this simple thing.

Warning, a standard $100 Amazon blind puller set will not work. The 8mm puller simply is not sharp enough nor has enough of a gap between the bearing and the sleeve to get any grip. Just pulls out. Tried with enough puller expansion force that it was deforming. No love. Maybe a higher quality one with sharper edges and harder tool steel would work.

Anyway, @shibuya7, thanks for the heads up on the 2021 eyelet set. I just ordered a set to put on the new shock. I can't order the new tool because its back ordered but I will add it to the kit for future use, and take the risk of sending the shock away with the old style cups still on it.

To confirm, the 2021 Altitude cups are a direct fit no issue?

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 6:30 Quote
cwoodffr wrote:
Glad to have found this as I dug into swapping out my 2018 Instinct shock for a used replacement (so I can get the damn thing rebuilt without being unable to ride) and discovered the proprietary tooling needed to deal with this simple thing.

Warning, a standard $100 Amazon blind puller set will not work. The 8mm puller simply is not sharp enough nor has enough of a gap between the bearing and the sleeve to get any grip. Just pulls out. Tried with enough puller expansion force that it was deforming. No love. Maybe a higher quality one with sharper edges and harder tool steel would work.

Anyway, @shibuya7, thanks for the heads up on the 2021 eyelet set. I just ordered a set to put on the new shock. I can't order the new tool because its back ordered but I will add it to the kit for future use, and take the risk of sending the shock away with the old style cups still on it.

I need to replace the shock on my 2018 C70 and have had issues with getting the eyelet bearings removed in the past for service. I heard from RM that the 2021 eyelet bearings are a touch smaller than the 2018. "The current ones are 16 x 8 x 5 and the older bearings are 19 x 8 x 6". Did any of you have issues using 2021 bearing eyelets and the bearing eyelet tool?

Thanks for any feedback from this older thread!

Posted: Sep 19, 2022 at 15:57 Quote
Hi folks, Initially I also used this tool to remove the bearing eyelet caps of the installed Fox Float DPX2, but finally I ordered - actually by mistake - a Rock Shox Super Deluxe with bearing eyelet, and guess what? This is perfectly fitting (after 5 min. sanding the original Aluminium spacers) into the frame (Altitude 2020). Doing a service is now no pain in the ass, just unscrew the bearing eyelet of the shock. Used this setup now for 1500 km without a problem.
Can only recommend this

O+
Posted: Sep 28, 2022 at 13:33 Quote
So, I ordered the new tool for my 2019 Instinct just before I found this thread. :-( At least I can return it. Anyone know where you can find the Endurobearing tool in Canada? Or anyone know an alternate method for getting the eyelet cups out?

Not super excited about all the special tools it seems I need to maintain this...

Thanks!

O+
Posted: Sep 29, 2022 at 7:23 Quote
jamesinnorthvan wrote:
So, I ordered the new tool for my 2019 Instinct just before I found this thread. :-( At least I can return it. Anyone know where you can find the Endurobearing tool in Canada? Or anyone know an alternate method for getting the eyelet cups out?

Not super excited about all the special tools it seems I need to maintain this...

Thanks!

Disregard, figured it out. Thx

Posted: Nov 10, 2022 at 9:56 Quote
I designed a bearing eyelet tool for my 2019 Altitude that can be 3D printed. You'll just need to buy some bolts for it. I've used it multiple times now and it works great.

https://www.printables.com/model/142559-bearing-eyelet-removal-tool-for-rocky-mountain-alt

O+ FL
Posted: May 13, 2023 at 7:53 Quote
I can tell you 3D printed tools do not work on the new, smaller design of eyelet bearings. There simply isn't enough of a lip for the printed part to grab ahold of.

However, the RM tool is in stock, and it does work really well, provided you buy steel bolts to replace the stock stainless one, and grease the threads before use.

O+
Posted: Jun 24, 2023 at 12:16 Quote
ctatham wrote:

Did you get these to work? Rocky Mountain still maintain the 2021+ cups will not work properly on the 2020- bikes. I checked the specs and far as I can see every meaningful attribute connected to the cups is the same. They still hit the same 40mm width, work with the same 15mm shock eyes, take the identical pivot bolt and centre spacer, and rest on the same Ride-9 chip assemblies. Only thing different is smaller bearing OD (so smaller balls) and narrower cup width padded out by 1mm wider spacers (that come with the kit).

I'd just got a set of the old cup design from RM before realizing that committed me to ghetto methods or the $135 Enduro tool. Printed up the online tool kindly uploaded by Hemi345 above, and it worked fine on a fresh set of "old" cups, but broke on a set of well used old cups. Those ended up requiring barbaric treatment.

I'm getting the RWC/Enduro fork seals 8x40 needle bearing kit and washing my hands of the proprietary hardware. Used them before with good results, and already have the $25 tool for them, which you can fairly easily sub with ghetto bolts, nuts, and washers.

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 25, 2023 at 17:13 Quote
My eyelet hardwear finally wore out after 2 long seasons and my bike shop put in the fox standard bushing as a replacement. Seems to work just as well, and way fewer parts. I assume this will wear out too but just seems easier.

Posted: Dec 1, 2023 at 11:14 Quote
Since the new OEM tool from RM doesn't fit my older (2019) Instinct I was going to try and make some sort of soft jaws for the vice to clamp the bearing holders. Then I noticed the diameter of the bearing holder is almost the same size as the grip end of the handlebars (22 vs 22.2mm). Dug up a old set of bar-ends and filed part of it for clearance, clamped it on and wiggled the holders out of the shock.
photo

photo

O+
Posted: Dec 1, 2023 at 13:00 Quote
If anyone is looking I have the tool for the 2021 and older Rocky's for sale. Cheers.

O+
Posted: Dec 17, 2023 at 19:46 Quote
Airboy123-fantastic idea! I just used your method on the older style eyelet, and was also able to clamp the newer style with the addition of a piece of .004" feeler guage in the bar end hole to take up some of the slack. Glad I didn't throw the old bar ends away Smile .

Cheers.

Posted: Dec 18, 2023 at 10:15 Quote
Good to know the newer bearing holders only need a bit of shimming to use the bar end method.

shwa2007 wrote:
Airboy123-fantastic idea! I just used your method on the older style eyelet, and was also able to clamp the newer style with the addition of a piece of .004" feeler guage in the bar end hole to take up some of the slack. Glad I didn't throw the old bar ends away Smile .

Cheers.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015688
Mobile Version of Website