How much longer with PB as we know it last?

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
How much longer with PB as we know it last?
Posted: Feb 3, 2022 at 13:09 Quote
sngltrkmnd wrote:
Who else is wondering what the heck is going on behind the scenes since the acquisition?
What seems fishy?
What’s changed, for you? What’s NOT changed and makes you think everything’s OK?
What is the deal with BETA?
How soon before a Mike or another legacy editor leaves the site?

I’m not a narc, I’m not Robin. I’m just another long-time user with questions.

Let’s discuss and hope the mods don’t shut this down.

This is the boiling frog really and the inevitable is coming. They've tipped their hand and made it clear that money overall is the objective as there's no other sincere answer to allowing themselves to be purchased. I've been down this road in the corporate world and not once in the 36 years I've done what I do has a buying entity improved the company that was purchased. They all take what's existing and works and either part that out leaving a shell of what was or they rebrand and discard the original piece. Trek is an example of this. They killed Klien, Fisher, and LeMond ~ They took Bontrager and made it a mediocre house brand killing off a cycling innovator and icon.

Outside is doing the same thing here, PB will become irretrievably broken and what once was a great place/community will no longer be, its just a matter of time.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 3, 2022 at 15:18 Quote
crustyoldguy wrote:
sngltrkmnd wrote:
Who else is wondering what the heck is going on behind the scenes since the acquisition?
What seems fishy?
What’s changed, for you? What’s NOT changed and makes you think everything’s OK?
What is the deal with BETA?
How soon before a Mike or another legacy editor leaves the site?

I’m not a narc, I’m not Robin. I’m just another long-time user with questions.

Let’s discuss and hope the mods don’t shut this down.

This is the boiling frog really and the inevitable is coming. They've tipped their hand and made it clear that money overall is the objective as there's no other sincere answer to allowing themselves to be purchased. I've been down this road in the corporate world and not once in the 36 years I've done what I do has a buying entity improved the company that was purchased. They all take what's existing and works and either part that out leaving a shell of what was or they rebrand and discard the original piece. Trek is an example of this. They killed Klien, Fisher, and LeMond ~ They took Bontrager and made it a mediocre house brand killing off a cycling innovator and icon.

Outside is doing the same thing here, PB will become irretrievably broken and what once was a great place/community will no longer be, its just a matter of time.

I hate that you are right.

Posted: Feb 3, 2022 at 15:20 Quote
ngl, NSMB is pretty sick. Go check out out. Good articles and pics too

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2022 at 15:52 Quote
Yep, NSMB is awesome. Actual character. I just wish they uploaded as frequently as PB.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 3, 2022 at 16:01 Quote
I have been on NSMB since 2002. I migrated to PB because PB posts daily. Now that the character of PB is shifting, I have found myself on NSMB a lot more.

PB has a lot more going for it in my mind and a lot more to lose if this shift continues. I know that we are not in the minority with our thoughts on this matter.

Time will tell if they listen to their users/customers.

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2022 at 9:05 Quote
thelumberjack wrote:
So , I was upset too that I couldn’t see the alps photo epic which was posted today, I’ve been a PB’er for over a decade now, and my fondest MTB memories (or fantasies anyway) stemmed from the bikes and trips depicted in those articles, I’ll be gutted to see those unavailable to the whole going forward (if that’s what happens).

Should it be free? I’m not sure, it certainly isn’t free to create, am I upset it may no longer be free, yes, do I suspect PB / Outside have done the maths on ad revenue etc. and consider it necessary, yeah, but at what level, I’m not sure.

If there was ever a time for a podcast episode or future vision article this is surely it - a lot of people are emotionally invested in this place, though I do see there are people who are financially invested (and dependent) on it as well. I hope it will all be ok.

Writers should definitely get paid for the content they create. And that payment comes from the advertisements that line the top and sides of PB's website as well as some of the content provided is an advertisement in itself. Every click brings in more money, and I happily click on many of those ads when I see intriguing new products for my addiction. All creators deserve to be paid for the hard work they put into bringing us great content.

I suppose having some Beta content filtered throughout doesn't really impact me that much. And, I'm willing to accept some advertising to support those that entertain us in exchange for free content.

I'm mostly talking myself into accepting the change here. Not really any major revelations...LOL!

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2022 at 14:41 Quote
Like you, I've been on NSMB since the early days. And I find myself visiting it more and more often in the last year or two. The content consistently thought-provoking and unique. And while the site doesn't have the budget to do big photo sessions outside of the immediate North Shore area, there's no shortage of phenomenal locations in North Van to test bikes and shoot pics. I'll also say that it's a win to see the editors so active in the comments on the articles they post. It feels far more intimate. Not to say that PB is totally going down the toilet... Living in Bellingham means seeing editors out and about on local trails, going about the usual business of shaking down equipment. But at the same time there are a lot of staff from BETA here too - note also the two recent BETA test sessions here - and that makes it sorta confusing to me. It's unclear to me how the two brands are to coexist.
Lastly the integration of BETA and the other Outside brands into PB is mechanically a mess. I get it - paywall - but it';s a mess and I am inclined to keep a separate BETA tab open. (I'm a subscriber as I love the print product and was a BIKE subscriber for 15+ years, and appreciate the reviews though I acknowledge that the BETA website needs improving. Like Redfin, it would benefit from a comments section.)

deanw wrote:
I have been on NSMB since 2002. I migrated to PB because PB posts daily. Now that the character of PB is shifting, I have found myself on NSMB a lot more.

PB has a lot more going for it in my mind and a lot more to lose if this shift continues. I know that we are not in the minority with our thoughts on this matter.

Time will tell if they listen to their users/customers.

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2022 at 14:43 Quote
NSMB is a really small scrappy team compared to who's behind this site, but yeah, I sometimes wish there was a bit more content. At this point though, I'll take quality over endless press releases/team roster announcements/third party content.

bishopsmike wrote:
Yep, NSMB is awesome. Actual character. I just wish they uploaded as frequently as PB.

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2022 at 16:18 Quote
sngltrkmnd wrote:
NSMB is a really small scrappy team compared to who's behind this site, but yeah, I sometimes wish there was a bit more content. At this point though, I'll take quality over endless press releases/team roster announcements/third party content.

bishopsmike wrote:

Posted: Feb 28, 2022 at 23:20 Quote
If you want to hide that pesky BETA content (and outside branding) I made a chrome plugin:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pinkbike-classic-feed/mjkfmkneapelkdmhcohjlefifdfbfikn?hl=en-GB

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 13:03 Quote
Just checking back on this thread. Seems BETA is dead. (Long live BETA!) So... I guess this thread is dead, too. haha.

Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 14:37 Quote
sngltrkmnd wrote:
Just checking back on this thread. Seems BETA is dead. (Long live BETA!) So... I guess this thread is dead, too. haha.
NSMB is amazing! Great articles

Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 15:18 Quote
DirtRag is dead. Bike is dead. Beta is dead. Maybe PB is dead too, and just doesn't realize it yet.

(But I hope Outside refunds my Beta subscription, Probably not, though. I wouldn't expect them to do the right thing at this point.)

{Edit - I see Outside paywalled VeloNews as well]

Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 17:52 Quote
I'm late to see this thread, but I'd answer the title question with a quote from Heraclitus:

"You cannot step in the same river twice."

In other words, all things are always changing.

Mod
Posted: Jun 9, 2022 at 15:48 Quote
barp wrote:
I'm late to see this thread, but I'd answer the title question with a quote from Heraclitus:

"You cannot step in the same river twice."

In other words, all things are always changing.

Best Quote on PB - ever.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014703
Mobile Version of Website