Powered by Outside

Where are the Transition relay reviews???

PB Forum :: eMTB
Where are the Transition relay reviews???
O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2023 at 7:35 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
danstratplr wrote:
Relay has been great. It’s enough power to do what I want and nimble enough on descents. Such an improvement over a full power eMTB. Those things are too damn heavy (had a Levo and sold it in a few months). Relay feels like my Sentinel with a little more travel but I fly uphill, hah. The ring controller feels cheap yeah but it works fine.
I just think they each have their place. I have no issues swinging a 50lb bike around, im about 183cm/95kg so 24kg or so is not alot extra and once you get used to it, its fine IMO.

I think its important to get geo right on the full power bikes, I found the longer reach bikes can be a bit cumbersome, which is similar to the normal version minus weight.

the relay Is a good idea due to its multi purpose and i think its a great bike (i did demo one)

This. I run essentially the same geo on my S5 SJEvo and it's fantastic. However, with the extra weight of the Relay I find the Reach on an XL Relay to be cumbersome.

I'd generally recommend if you are between sizes, on an E-bike size down. For me, this is highly unusual advice as I really like big bikes. That said, what felt cumbersome and weird the first 2 rides began to feel quite normal by the 3rd ride.

Mine has my own parts on it, but ready to ride with: a DH rear rim, a DD rear mullet tire, dual inserts, Mezzer fork, a fairly light front wheel, 1 TS brake (too lazy to swap the rear brake!), 210mm dropper, pedals & tools it weighs 44#s ready to ride.

It could easily weigh 42#s in a trail set up even with pedals and Exo Minions, if that's your jam.

Posted: Jun 2, 2023 at 10:46 Quote
SunsPSD wrote:
It took 3 rides to get it mostly dialed in but I ADORE my Relay. Unfortunately, I purchased an XL and should have bought a L. It's the most capable bike of any sort I've ever ridden. Like it's nuts!

I have placed it for sale in the classifieds.

As soon as it sells I'll order a new L.

If anyone wants to save $1.8K on an XL GX Carbon, that never had the drivetrain/ wheels/ tires/ fork used (I ran my own parts) and wants it by next weekend, find my advert then contact me.

To those that aren't interested in my XL, It's a rad bike that I'd highly recommend. I've personally had no issues at all with it but have only ridden it 3x, and the first 2 rides were quite short.

Regarding the ring controller, mine works perfectly. However, I did find that if you over tighten, or under tighten the clamp bolt, it'll do weird things like stick or move.

So what changed between April and now? Your comments on mtbr are quite different.

O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2023 at 11:41 Quote
For some reason when I respond, I get flagged as a spammer.
Not sure why.
I'd respond to you, if I could.
I'll try and respond in small bits. Some word I'm commonly using flags me.
Edited: any description I attempt, gets flagged as spam. Not certain why?
Sorry.

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2023 at 7:22 Quote
I'm going to try and post in tiny little bits, so that hopefully my posts don't get flagged as spam. Not sure what else to try.

1) Think I'm going to just try and keep the XL Relay as I'm kind of buying in to Rulezman's view of a 0 offset stem being the way forward, which does in fact require a longer bike. I'm going to start with a 32mm length stem as a baby step and if it works, when his new very short stem (I think the single crown version is 13mm offset) I'll try that.

I've had bad luck with uber short stems in the past, but this bike has insanely good front wheel traction so hoping I don't experience that on this bike.

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2023 at 7:36 Quote
2) the Relay's battery:

** Tried to post more info and just got flagged as a spammer again.

O+
Posted: Jun 13, 2023 at 11:46 Quote
Mine now weighs 43.5#s. That includes double Rimpact inserts, sturdy wheels, rear DD tire, 210mm dropper, XL Mullet, pedals & tools onboard.

Weight saved came from my fancy front wheel (lighter than stock, but not really light), cf bars, X01 11 speed, TS brakes.

Dropping the inserts, going to a standard rear tire and a 175mm dropper, along with the tools would have the bike weighing 42#s with pedals for the trail riders.

It's a good weight for this bike, imo.

O+
Posted: Aug 6, 2023 at 23:07 Quote
Relay XO1 pnw.
Ride # 1: Fox rear shock rattled like a can of rocks. That's Fox these days tho..
Ride#2 the mode switch feels like it could fall apart any second. Sticky. Feels like a $4 item but made by Porsche?
Ride #10: motor failed?? Driving to the shop tomorrow. Everything lights up but nothing from the motor. See like waaayy more drag than normal.

Cars are still better and cheapest for going up hill....

2015 Ford Fiesta ST. $10,000 runs great! Fun AF.

2023 Transition Relay 10 rides on it and dead. $10,000

Posted: Oct 19, 2023 at 22:08 Quote
fastback570 wrote:
Relay XO1 pnw.
Ride # 1: Fox rear shock rattled like a can of rocks. That's Fox these days tho..
Ride#2 the mode switch feels like it could fall apart any second. Sticky. Feels like a $4 item but made by Porsche?
Ride #10: motor failed?? Driving to the shop tomorrow. Everything lights up but nothing from the motor. See like waaayy more drag than normal.

Cars are still better and cheapest for going up hill....

2015 Ford Fiesta ST. $10,000 runs great! Fun AF.

2023 Transition Relay 10 rides on it and dead. $10,000

How it turned out?

Posted: Jan 5, 2024 at 8:54 Quote
Bump? Still find myself lusting after a Relay, but most of the feedback I see out there is not super positive. Is it too much of a compromise? How long of a ride are you guys actually getting out of a single battery using full power? How have you managed riding with full power ebikes? How about riding with regular bikes with your battery out?

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2024 at 7:10 Quote
Mine is dope. Fantastic bike.

Needs a coil shock for sure.

Posted: Feb 1, 2024 at 11:31 Quote
SunsPSD wrote:

Could you bless us with some real life range reports by chance? Any comment on ability to ride with full power ebikes (assuming comparable strength riding buddies)?

O+
Posted: Feb 12, 2024 at 9:09 Quote
venturavin wrote:
SunsPSD wrote:

Could you bless us with some real life range reports by chance? Any comment on ability to ride with full power ebikes (assuming comparable strength riding buddies)?

Riding uphill single track with full power bikes no problem. If you want to go full gas up a fire road you won’t have a chance against a full power bike.

O+
Posted: Feb 17, 2024 at 6:45 Quote
Yep.
Riding black and double black trails there is no difference between the Relay and the 1 full power I've ridden with.
It's only on dirt roads where there is a disadvantage to a FF.

Posted: Apr 8, 2024 at 20:31 Quote
How are the battery doors doing?

Removing the battery for charging seems inconvenient.

I want to know what it’s like to live with one of these bikes for a while.

Posted: Apr 9, 2024 at 7:55 Quote
Same! Thankful for the couple folks contributing here, but would love some more real world feedback from others. Maybe they're busy out having fun on their Relays? Maybe they're too traumatized to talk about it?

I'm still so torn between Relay vs KSL. The power and battery of the Relay are a big upgrade on paper, but the tried and true integration and reliability of the KSL seem like a tempting "safe bet" compared to all the quirky feedback there seems to be with the Relay.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011069
Mobile Version of Website