Powered by Outside

Change my Kona Coiler for a Specialized Big Hit?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Change my Kona Coiler for a Specialized Big Hit?
O+
Posted: Aug 29, 2008 at 8:16 Quote
my big hit pedals much better than the coiler i used to have, even with a full on dh build.

Posted: Sep 6, 2008 at 7:45 Quote
ben dont swap for a club roost lol , but i would swap for a big hit deffenatly

Posted: Sep 6, 2008 at 7:45 Quote
DO NOT Change the coilers better

Posted: Sep 6, 2008 at 7:57 Quote
Dude, if you want a nice dh/free ride bike, get a big hit! they are awsome, i love mine!

Posted: Sep 6, 2008 at 9:58 Quote
CHANGE TO A BIG HIT GROMCool

Posted: Sep 6, 2008 at 14:43 Quote
konabikerjohn wrote:

Care to explain how it is better?

The Bighit FSR frame is far superior to the coiler in many ways, but most of all, the suspension design. The coiler uses a single pivot design, and the Bighit uses the FSR or Horst link system. This means that the coiler suffers from brake jack, and chain growth, both of which are bad, whereas the Bighit does not have any brake jack and only minor chaingrowth, which is common in frames around this pricerange. I'd like to see how you figure a coiler pedals better than a bighit, from my past experiences a coiler has rather bad bob, however my bighit pedals fairly well. Theres also the compretion ratio, the bighit (not sure if the new ones or even 08/07) has a compresion ratio of 2.5:1 when in the 7" mode or 2.9:1 when in the 8" mode (for the 05 model, not sure what it is for the newer models) I'm not sure about the coiler, but I'm guessing its a little better because its only a 6" travel frame. Perhaps someone could check on that for me.

I would say that that information should tell you to go with the Big Hit if you are an agressive rider and plan on progressing any.

Posted: Sep 6, 2008 at 15:00 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
konabikerjohn wrote:

The Bighit FSR frame is far superior to the coiler in many ways, but most of all, the suspension design. The coiler uses a single pivot design, and the Bighit uses the FSR or Horst link system. This means that the coiler suffers from brake jack, and chain growth, both of which are bad, whereas the Bighit does not have any brake jack and only minor chaingrowth, which is common in frames around this pricerange. I'd like to see how you figure a coiler pedals better than a bighit, from my past experiences a coiler has rather bad bob, however my bighit pedals fairly well. Theres also the compretion ratio, the bighit (not sure if the new ones or even 08/07) has a compresion ratio of 2.5:1 when in the 7" mode or 2.9:1 when in the 8" mode (for the 05 model, not sure what it is for the newer models) I'm not sure about the coiler, but I'm guessing its a little better because its only a 6" travel frame. Perhaps someone could check on that for me.

I would say that that information should tell you to go with the Big Hit if you are an agressive rider and plan on progressing any.

coiler has 3:1 on leverage except on 07 onwards they changed it to 2.8:1 or near enough.

also chaingrowth is actually very similar on both bighit and coiler.

Posted: Sep 6, 2008 at 17:28 Quote
do it, because bit hit has better linkage.
it has vps, kona has single pivot.
vps is better

Posted: Sep 6, 2008 at 17:46 Quote
Take a look on ebay... I got mine for around £450..
photo

Then build with good components......
photo

...37 pound Big hit DH, and still climbs ok.

I've had a couple of Kona's in the past and there is no way you will be able to get a coiler to perform half as well as one of these, no offence to Coiler owners it's just the geo on a coiler is to tall and steep for agressive riding at speed.

Posted: Sep 7, 2008 at 2:23 Quote
willshiels wrote:
Take a look on ebay... I got mine for around £450..
photo
Then build with good components......
photo
...37 pound Big hit DH, and still climbs ok.

I've had a couple of Kona's in the past and there is no way you will be able to get a coiler to perform half as well as one of these, no offence to Coiler owners it's just the geo on a coiler is to tall and steep for agressive riding at speed.

aghreed with the coiler bit,the geo is for sure more all mountain.

Posted: Sep 7, 2008 at 13:17 Quote
marquis wrote:
jonbikes wrote:
konabikerjohn wrote:

coiler has 3:1 on leverage except on 07 onwards they changed it to 2.8:1 or near enough.

Are you sure about the chaingrowth? The coilers axle path is primarily forward arching, and I will agree, the bighits is to, but It was my understanding that the difference from start to finish was only 5mm or something whereas most of conas bikes are around 15mm? Perhaps I am way off, just kinda throwing that out there.

Looks like the bighit has a better compression ratio slightly more than 6" travel, and very comparable compression ratio even when in the 8" mode. Those things alone would point me towards the bighit.

Posted: Sep 7, 2008 at 15:25 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
marquis wrote:
jonbikes wrote:

Are you sure about the chaingrowth? The coilers axle path is primarily forward arching, and I will agree, the bighits is to, but It was my understanding that the difference from start to finish was only 5mm or something whereas most of conas bikes are around 15mm? Perhaps I am way off, just kinda throwing that out there.

Looks like the bighit has a better compression ratio slightly more than 6" travel, and very comparable compression ratio even when in the 8" mode. Those things alone would point me towards the bighit.

according to linkage the bighit's chaingrowth is bigger by 1.9mm but would be understandable due to the greater travel.

O+
Posted: Sep 7, 2008 at 15:34 Quote
hey joined this thread a bit late but still ill voice my opinion- i had the same dilema when i bought my bighit 2 years ago. long story short chosse the bighit. frame is solid and will only break if you treat it stupidly like 25ft drops to flat etc...also even though the bighit can be a heavy bike pedaling uphill is still feasible overall makes you fitter every uphill climb you do haha.

Posted: Sep 7, 2008 at 15:38 Quote
bighitdhguy wrote:
hey joined this thread a bit late but still ill voice my opinion- i had the same dilema when i bought my bighit 2 years ago. long story short chosse the bighit. frame is solid and will only break if you treat it stupidly like 25ft drops to flat etc...also even though the bighit can be a heavy bike pedaling uphill is still feasible overall makes you fitter every uphill climb you do haha.

you have had this 2 years cool stuff.

photo

Posted: Sep 8, 2008 at 6:40 Quote
Cheers everyone..
i am still thinking as i havnt got money yet..
but thanks for all the comments..and if u see a good deal let me know Wink Big Grin

Thanks

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020094
Mobile Version of Website