Powered by Outside

Why all this BS about neck brace?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Why all this BS about neck brace?
Posted: Jan 9, 2009 at 7:05 Quote
Had a pretty bad neck injurie 5 years ago,any saftey equiptment that can pervent you being a vegtable, or a quad is a good idea, pro or no pro, an people that are going to say anything about it would most likeley be trend whores who would spend 100 bones on color mached spoke nips.

Posted: Jan 9, 2009 at 22:48 Quote
You should look up the models for go-kart racing, they work the same but are much cheaper. I forget extactly, but no more than $100US.

Posted: Jan 9, 2009 at 23:06 Quote
I have noticed more and more little kids at my local BMX track, and even some of the older riders starting to wear neck braces.
None of them seem to be hindered by them.

I think if you have the money and think you need one, go for it. It falls in to the category of "it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it".

Posted: Jan 10, 2009 at 0:02 Quote
I think they are good idea, you never know what might happen on a DH run. Also I heard your better off going to a Motocross shop to buy a Leatt brace because they are cheaper in there than the MTB shops and obviously the are the same Smile

Posted: Jan 10, 2009 at 7:47 Quote
Onespeed38 wrote:
I have noticed more and more little kids at my local BMX track, and even some of the older riders starting to wear neck braces.

I think if you have the money and think you need one, go for it. It falls in to the category of "it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it".

they have literally no affect on your head i found. i tried one on at an outdoor demo at a motocross race. they have it so the helmet hits the brace the second before your neck starts to go back farther then it should. so unless you have like bobble head disorder you should be fine wearing one.

Posted: Jan 10, 2009 at 8:24 Quote
The only place i hear people making fun of it is here on pinkbike. almost everyone here is under 16 and probably never ride. If your worried then just buy one and don't post it on here that you have one.
And do alot of pro's wear them? i have only seen the ones in the adds for them. i have seen more people wearing them at my local resort. they are either young rippers (parents make them wear it) or the middle age guys (30+) it seems the 16-29 crowd are too cool for them.

i gaurantee no one will make fun of you at a resort like whistler.

i agree that it looks a little dumb but it is a good idea, i could maybe see myself getting one if they get cheap.

Posted: Dec 17, 2009 at 14:25 Quote
xxx-kona4life-xxx wrote:
Basically instead of a neck breaking crash you break your collar bone.

thats true, i had a bad crash where the wind blew me off my bike while in the air, 60mph gusts and l landed the position were i hit the side of my head and my neck hit the ground but my neck brace was there to save me but it transferd the energy onto my collar bone which broke but badly but i was in a sling for like six weeks

Posted: Dec 17, 2009 at 14:40 Quote
put it this way. when wearing my leatt, i would rather have a bad fall and brake a collarbone and be out for 6 weeks than not wearing it, risking breaking my neck and have to be spoon fed for the rest of my life.

Posted: Dec 17, 2009 at 15:01 Quote
Yea collar bone for neck is an extreamly good trade off, get one it is worth all the money.

Posted: Dec 17, 2009 at 21:35 Quote
I was reading up on some statistics about the leatt brace today and with broken collar bones.

the main point was they kept track of all the broken collar bones that happened in a certain motocross circuit and out of the 13 broken collar bones 7 of them were wearing leatt braces. They also mentioned that 60% of people riding in that circuit wore leatt braces

so what does that mean? well roughly 50% of the people wearing them broke the collar bones and 50% broke their collar bones even though they didn't have one on. So you are just as likely to break your collar bone riding without a leatt brace as you are with riding with one.

I have had a few friends who have taken very light falls and have broken their collar bones without leatt braces. Its the easiest bone to break in the human body.

im not saying that they do or don't contribute to broken collar bones but it would be very hard to prove since breaking collar bones happen easily on their own. According to Leatt they don't contribute in any way to broken collar bones.

im getting one soon since i am going to physical therapy for messed up joints in my neck from a DJ crash so ill repost if i break a collar bone

O+
Posted: Dec 17, 2009 at 22:01 Quote
+1 for the leatt..

But not to say that the suddies are wrong.. I know that the collar bone is the easiest bone to break.. something tiny like only 12 pounds of force can break smaller collar bones.. but I dont see how a leatt couldnt break your collar bone.. I mean I honestly think that despite them saying that they dont affect it at all, the leatt has some affect.. all the leatt is, is a load transfering device. the load from a crash has to go somewhere away from your neck..

and for those that worry about price.. what would being admited to a hospital cost even just for over night? now what about the price when you are a quadrapaligic (sp?) Its worth it $ wise too.. I believe you can get the adventure model for $300 and the gpx for $400 really guys they are worth every penny..

They arnt restrictive at all. Once you set if up right for you, you dont even know its there.. just a tiny sense of somthing on your sholders, but definatly doesnt interfere with your riding.. and its confidence inspiring.. I feel alot better riding with mine.. I feel exposed and un comfortable with out it on if I jump on my downhill or BMX bike now.

Posted: Dec 17, 2009 at 22:31 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
and for those that worry about price.. what would being admited to a hospital cost even just for over night? now what about the price when you are a quadrapaligic (sp?) Its worth it $ wise too.. I believe you can get the adventure model for $300 and the gpx for $400 really guys they are worth every penny..

i live in a country where health care isnt stupid and it would cost me nothing to go in to the hospital for the night

:p

Posted: Dec 17, 2009 at 22:45 Quote
odin333 wrote:
Onespeed38 wrote:

they have literally no affect on your head i found. i tried one on at an outdoor demo at a motocross race. they have it so the helmet hits the brace the second before your neck starts to go back farther then it should. so unless you have like bobble head disorder you should be fine wearing one.

Shit, well then I'm screwed. thats my dad.

Posted: Dec 17, 2009 at 22:46 Quote
So what do u guys think of them for dirt jumping?

O+
Posted: Dec 17, 2009 at 23:36 Quote
stryke wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

i live in a country where health care isnt stupid and it would cost me nothing to go in to the hospital for the night

:p

well I happen to live in the U.S. where we pay for all our stuff.
but will your country still pay for 100% should some thing go really bad? I am sure you would be out more then your $300 after you were all said and done.. along with being unable to function any longer.. thats priceless IMO

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012781
Mobile Version of Website