Powered by Outside

All Mountain and Agressive XC Tires

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
All Mountain and Agressive XC Tires
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 29, 2009 at 1:41 Quote
So, many people race Dh on a Minion, high roller...
My current favorite tyre choice is:
Front. 2.35 60a single ply folding minion
Rear. 2.35 60a single ply folding high roller
Both sub 700g tyres.

I have a Larrsen, one 2.35 ST and one 60a, nice summer tyre, pants in the woods though if the soil is loamy and loose.
For a long day when you are hitting fire roads only or the dirt jumps. 2.35 HR 60a Semi Slick.

All are single ply.

I have NN's, they sit in the garage (side nobs rip off and they pucture).
I have Big Bettys, they sit in the garage (side nobs rip off).
I have Mountain Kings, they sit in the garage, pants on anything wet.
I have Kenda BG/Nevagal (both compounds), they sit in the garage, pucture way to much.
I used to use Bonty Big Earls, one wet one dry, they are not a bad tyre, big volume though.
I know people with Rampage, they like them, but they walk with them lots as they have no grip compared to a HR.

Posted: Jan 29, 2009 at 1:53 Quote
BikeDaug40 wrote:
What are the lightest AM tires that money can buy?
I am getting tired of having to change tires every time I go DHing and XC tires just don't hold up well for me.

Can anyone suggest some really light AM or freeride tires??

Thanks

i think you have to follow a process rather than take random suggestions
gotta match the tread pattern to the soil and weather you'll be mosty riding, decide your preference between grip vs rolling resistance, then think about the volume you want to run, and get an idea of the exceptable weight range

give us those details for and you can be more confidence in our suggestions tup

O+
Posted: Jan 29, 2009 at 16:56 Quote
The best tires I've used are the Kenda Nevegal DTC. They are the best in all conditions.

Check out www.mtbiking.ca

Posted: Jan 30, 2009 at 6:56 Quote
I am currently on Continental Vertical (front) and WTC Exiwolf (rear). Vertical's do really get a grip on the surface, most particularly for cornering, whereas Exiwolf's low profile helps me keep them rolling that fast. My only complain is Exiwolve's performance ain't that good in wet weather conditions (they just clog) and I am always worried the back tyre might pop out as I can fit them onto the rims just by using my bare hands (they're really light though). I've been riding my bike in Minnions for some time, and strong though they are, they also drag like a long day. I haven't tested those yet, but I've got a feeling Nevegals are probably the best option in terms of balancing grip and strength against rolling resistance.

Posted: Feb 3, 2009 at 13:49 Quote
Kenda Nevegals; just be careful with your compound, if you want the sticky then it's not going to last as long.

I run 2.35's and am very happy with them for AM/AXC; they have a great roll resistance and stick like no bodys business.

Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 6:30 Quote
Thanks dude, but I already knew about it. This is probably one of the reasons why I hate Continental Vapors. The soft compound means they will stick like glue onto the ground, but, like you are saying, they won't last that long. I usually like harder compounds due to their very low rolling resistance and, on the other side of things, they do last longer. Grip won't be that good, but again, this is why I use to wear high profile threads on in the front end. What I say is, if you can dodge your front end out of a situation, the whole bike will follow.

Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 10:43 Quote
thedrewman wrote:
The best tires I've used are the Kenda Nevegal DTC. They are the best in all conditions.

Check out www.mtbiking.ca

I agree with this!

Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 10:47 Quote
nevegals or maxxis ignitor

Posted: Feb 5, 2009 at 12:48 Quote
kovacs2121 wrote:
maxxis ignitor
+1

Posted: Feb 6, 2009 at 17:40 Quote
muffmuff wrote:
kovacs2121 wrote:
maxxis ignitor
+1

mine fell apart too quickly and punchered too frequently

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014753
Mobile Version of Website