Powered by Outside

As a bicycle mechanic list your common and worst injuries on the job

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
As a bicycle mechanic list your common and worst injuries on the job
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 11:19 Quote
What about banging in a star nut into forks? Anyone ever caught their skin under the star nut as it enters the fork. YOUCH! lol. U only do it once lol. I see now the new tools for this have a gaurd to prevent this.

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 11:30 Quote
opening up bike boxes with the big staple things and slicing finger open ( and yes i am aware the boxes come with warnings now)
Most common: test riding customers bike that has warn cassette/chainrings that slip, then falling straight onto the stem! ouch.

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 11:32 Quote
im not a mechanic, but i do all my repairs in my room. and all the little bits of cable get stuck in the carpet and then they stick in my foot as i step on them.

one time i woke up with a rotor bolt stuck in my side. id slept on it and somehow it had got stuck and it really hurt.

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 11:34 Quote
cliffred wrote:
opening up bike boxes with the big staple things and slicing finger open ( and yes i am aware the boxes come with warnings now)
Most common: test riding customers bike that has warn cassette/chainrings that slip, then falling straight onto the stem! ouch.

Ever test rode a customers bike and forgot that they have they brakes round the other way? lol. Whoops.

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 11:37 Quote
typecaRl wrote:
cliffred wrote:

Ever test rode a customers bike and forgot that they have they brakes round the other way? lol. Whoops.

hahaha yes! or the ones that dont think to tell you there stem pinch bolts arent done up particulaly tight...

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 11:53 Quote
Checking a Hayes rotor was true and catching my finger in as it was spinning around - how I still have the end of that finger I don't know, but I won't be making that mistake again!

Cranking the wheel around to check the gears, dropping my allen key and buzzing my forehead on the rear tyre as I bend over to pick it up - again, I am very wary of this now!

- and squirting Dot brake oil in my eyes, its just second nature to meEek

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 12:00 Quote
Tightning disc bolts, ands your hand slips and your knuckle skin gets grated off. OUCH!! happened to moi twice.

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 12:12 Quote
a s&m bmx fell off a hook (dont ask how it fell off) and a peg caught me in the eye, The bike prolly fell 6 ft before it hit me. I was dizzy and layed on the shop floor and yelled for like 2 min, Now i have a cool scar over my eye.

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 13:26 Quote
or the simple one, checking a tyre for a thorn or piece of glass and slicing your finger, it takes bloody ages to heal. or when trying to get a really tight tyre off the lever breaks and you catch a lump in the eyeball, seen it happen once.

oh yea, i met a lads once cut the top of his finger off with a brake rotor, ouch. it took over a year to heal fully.

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 13:38 Quote
ctd07 wrote:
Checking a Hayes rotor was true and catching my finger in as it was spinning around - how I still have the end of that finger I don't know, but I won't be making that mistake again!

Cranking the wheel around to check the gears, dropping my allen key and buzzing my forehead on the rear tyre as I bend over to pick it up - again, I am very wary of this now!

- and squirting Dot brake oil in my eyes, its just second nature to meEek

Mucoff in the eye isnt very nice either lol

FL
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 14:02 Quote
my worst was tryin to undo a rather tight pedal then it slipping loose and having all my strength and body weight slip and having to chain ring teeth nicley wedged insde my hand

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 14:09 Quote
ctd07 wrote:

Bit stupid on my part as the bike was upside-down was spinning the cranks and like you I dropped an Allen key... I bent down to pick it up and got a pedal straight in the face Whip
How stupid!

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 14:12 Quote
Wilson224 wrote:
ctd07 wrote:

Bit stupid on my part as the bike was upside-down was spinning the cranks and like you I dropped an Allen key... I bent down to pick it up and got a pedal straight in the face Whip
How stupid!
Ow!Eek

pedal to shin = pain

pedal to face = ???? too much pain to imagine!

_ _ _
I took a chunk outta my forehead when I caught it on the tyre, it was spinning really fast, I was in so much pain, blood everywhere, and felt like a right tit on top of it allRedface Madder

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 14:20 Quote
iv never slamed my hand into anything, im carful
i find the most common is fraed cables or getting hit with shit throw by other people

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 14:23 Quote
Once when I went into a bike shop I met this mechanic that had four fingers. I asked him about it and he said that the back wheel was spinning fast and his finger got caught in a spoke. The wheel spun and his finger got cut clean off.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014345
Mobile Version of Website