Powered by Outside

I'm a bigger rider. What All Mountain bike do I buy?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
I'm a bigger rider. What All Mountain bike do I buy?
O+
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 12:20 Quote
What slayer could I get for around 3500?

Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 12:34 Quote
rockyflow01 wrote:
Hey everyone I'm looking to buy a new all mountain bike and I'm stuck. I have considered a long travel all mountain bike and other lighter bikes like the Heckler but what do I buy, what's gonna work for me. I am a 230 pound rider so I know I need something tougher but there's plenty of choices. Please help me find the perfect bike thnks.

The Heckler is a good start. I used to have one and weighed 220+ at the time. Super versatile bike. You never mentioned price or what type of riding you will be doing. All Mountain means different things to different people. The Banshee Rune is a sweet, super stiff am bike that can handle a heavier rider. The Turner 5-spot, Chumba XCL, EVO are nice options as well.

O+
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 at 12:48 Quote
To elaborate on my needs. I'm going to be doing agressive xc riding and I'd like to be able to downhill too, at places like blue mountain. I need to get something for between 2900 and 3500. If I want to I also want to take it of some drops, not huge ones but like 6 feet and I also want to be able to do a little bit of jumping on it.

Posted: Jan 27, 2009 at 8:24 Quote
rockyflow01 wrote:
To elaborate on my needs. I'm going to be doing agressive xc riding and I'd like to be able to downhill too, at places like blue mountain. I need to get something for between 2900 and 3500. If I want to I also want to take it of some drops, not huge ones but like 6 feet and I also want to be able to do a little bit of jumping on it.

At your weight and riding description, I would get a burlier frame/am bike for sure. You can always get an extra wheel set and lighter rubber for those xc days. Go a tad burlier than the Heckler ie: Nomad and forget about bikes like the Mojo. You need a frame that that can handle abuse and still pedal well. Think Banshee Rune, Chumba Evo, Titus EL Guapo, and the Longer Travel Reign series. The frames I mentioned are pricey as a "frame" only, but can be had at your price point if you buy complete. There are great used deals around. They can all be found on pinkbike as well. Check nsmb.com and mtbr.com also.

Good luck.

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2009 at 11:03 Quote
Thanks for the help. Decided on an Enduro. Peace

Posted: Feb 8, 2009 at 21:32 Quote
Great chice. Enjoy it man.

Posted: Feb 9, 2009 at 13:15 Quote
luli79 wrote:
andrew22 wrote:
The Ibis Mojo is a great bike I think it has 6in of travel! And its a carbon frame.

Seriously? Are you retarded? He's 230lbs, If he got that frame and got a scratch in it, it wouldn't take much for massive structural failure. Almost all carbon fiber frames have a weight limit; most top out around 200lbs or less.Facepalm

I'm in the same boat as you; I weight 235-260 without gear. I just got a Rocky Mountain Slayer SS350 at the end of last season. It is tough and sturdy frame, if you look at one of these they are a great do it all bike.2 cents

I would disagree with this comment:
The carbon frame Ibis makes took 8 hard hits with the biggest sledgehammer Calgary Cycle had till it failed. If They did this to a Nomad frame, after three hits it would be rendered useless! Plus if the Ibis does break, you would have a new bike in about a week if it was defective, and if it was your fault, they would replace the front triangle for $400.00! Rear triangle for $250.00.
I also know of someone who has an MojoSL who weighs 200+ lbs, he has a Pike on it and built it beefier than most. The bike will handle anything. Ask dracones on this site his opinion.
I have two of them, and my Standard Mojo has about 13,000k on it already. No problems so far. I race with my SL
But the Slayer is a good suggestion.
Now my 2cents worth:
Ibis Mojo
SC Nomad
Trek Remedy
Spesh Enduro
Rocky Mountain Slayer
Not necassarily in that order, any of these bikes will take what you can dish out!

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 18:45 Quote
ibisrox wrote:
luli79 wrote:
andrew22 wrote:
The Ibis Mojo is a great bike I think it has 6in of travel! And its a carbon frame.

Seriously? Are you retarded? He's 230lbs, If he got that frame and got a scratch in it, it wouldn't take much for massive structural failure. Almost all carbon fiber frames have a weight limit; most top out around 200lbs or less.Facepalm

I'm in the same boat as you; I weight 235-260 without gear. I just got a Rocky Mountain Slayer SS350 at the end of last season. It is tough and sturdy frame, if you look at one of these they are a great do it all bike.2 cents

I would disagree with this comment:
The carbon frame Ibis makes took 8 hard hits with the biggest sledgehammer Calgary Cycle had till it failed. If They did this to a Nomad frame, after three hits it would be rendered useless! Plus if the Ibis does break, you would have a new bike in about a week if it was defective, and if it was your fault, they would replace the front triangle for $400.00! Rear triangle for $250.00.
I also know of someone who has an MojoSL who weighs 200+ lbs, he has a Pike on it and built it beefier than most. The bike will handle anything. Ask dracones on this site his opinion.
I have two of them, and my Standard Mojo has about 13,000k on it already. No problems so far. I race with my SL
But the Slayer is a good suggestion.
Now my 2cents worth:
Ibis Mojo
SC Nomad
Trek Remedy
Spesh Enduro
Rocky Mountain Slayer
Not necassarily in that order, any of these bikes will take what you can dish out!

Does your buddy have the Mojo with the Lopes Link? I heard that this stiffens up the rear quite a bit. The reason I told the op to steer clear of the Mojo was because of stiffness in the back end and not because of frame failure. Bigger guys riding the mojo without the new link have reported rear end flex when things get rough.

Posted: Feb 12, 2009 at 13:39 Quote
Great choice. They worked out the kinks with the forks that the either 07' or 08' enduro's had, so you should be fine. How are you enjoying it?

Posted: Feb 12, 2009 at 13:43 Quote
Lapierre spicy or zesty?? i've got the spicy and it's great, i weigh around 240 pounds/105 kg

O+
Posted: Feb 12, 2009 at 15:09 Quote
It looks like it will be a great bike but I haven't had the chance to ride it cause the weather sucks ass lately.

Posted: Feb 14, 2009 at 22:25 Quote
ibisrox wrote:
...I would disagree with this comment... The carbon frame Ibis makes took 8 hard hits with the biggest sledgehammer Calgary Cycle had till it failed. If They did this to a Nomad frame, after three hits it would be rendered useless!...

If you actually think that carbon frame wasn't rendered useless structurally after the first hit with the sledge hammer you are sadly mistaken.

As for the RMB Slayer... if you had any idea how high the failure rates for RMB frames is you would not be recommending them especially for a guy the OP's size.

The Giant Reign or Reign X is a far better value than any RMB, Trek or Spech in its class in my area at least. I've done the comparisons for pricing in my area and compared to the Giants you are paying more and getting less or paying a lot more as in hundreds more without getting any clear increase in value or performance per dollar.

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 13:48 Quote
I have a rocky mountain dirt jumping frame and it's actually worked amazing for me.

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 14:06 Quote
rockyflow01 wrote:
I have a rocky mountain dirt jumping frame and it's actually worked amazing for me.

Yep, its not the rigid frames they have problems with its the dulies except for the element series. i just heard of 2 dealers in qubec who dropped RMB because they are tired of all the broken frames they keep getting back. No surprise, its too big a hedache dealing with unhappy customers and the dealer never gets paid by the manufacturer to cover the labour for the frame swaps.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018178
Mobile Version of Website