Powered by Outside

Spank rims

• Next Page
Posted: Feb 28, 2010 at 21:20 Quote
There are a couple of good points here. The Spank rims for the most part are sleeved and bonded. In the past there were a few lines with pinned sleeves, but now there are none. In 2010 Spank revised all rim production to a new local facility, opened new profile tooling, and revised material compositions, so a lot has changed in just a few years. The Vomax XC Race rims are an exception, in that they are flash welded for pure weight optimization. Where ultimate strength is more important bonded shims are used.

There was a point about denting and material quality as well. All rim makers used to fight a battle of hoop strength, fatigue life, and ductility (yield...or ability to deform and return to shape). Unfortunately with conventional alloys as yield strength increased usually the ultimate strength decreased, or inversely as the ultimate strength was improved the material became more brittle and cracked, or resisted hand alignment after denting. New materials have been developed and brought into our industry, which are a little more expensive to work with and harder to obtain in pure mixes, but offer high ultimate strength, yield and fatigue. Spank started in 2010 to produce Race inspired rims like the Vomax EVO and Spike EVO in a special Silicon-Magnesium-Copper enriched alloy termed Dynamal, and the multidisciplinary lines Oozy EVO, Subrosa EVO, and Stiffy EVO in Super-6 Alloy. These show much better resistance to permanent deformation at low air pressures, but still always lean on the side of safety, by placing primary importance on tire retention and ultimate strength. All the 2010 EVO rims reduce weight by 5-15% and increase rigidity by up to 20%.

If you have any questions you can feel free to write me.

Posted: Mar 1, 2010 at 12:57 Quote
I am glad they have sorted out their construction and QC Smile

we had a couple of sets of their DJ rims (Subrosa?)come through our workshop ( given to us by customers, who had bought the rims on-line) and all had issues with poor finishing of the spoke holes (all needed de-burring) and the pinned joint (1 rim had to go back for replacement before building)

our wheel builder hated working on the Spank rims....said they were the worst quality he'd built in 15 years of wheel building Frown

Posted: Dec 7, 2011 at 8:10 Quote
sorry to bring this dead thread up but does anyone have any experience with the spank spoon rims?

Posted: Dec 7, 2011 at 8:34 Quote
shredwhiteandblue wrote:
sorry to bring this dead thread up but does anyone have any experience with the spank spoon rims?

If they are anything like the spank tweets tweets I have had for the past year they are good rims.

Posted: Dec 7, 2011 at 8:40 Quote
ya ive got a tweet evo up front and love it. lets hope this spoon is similar

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 7, 2011 at 15:08 Quote
Why dont you get Spank spike race evos? There downhill rims and they weigh around 500grams they are light but 2mm thinner.

Posted: Dec 7, 2011 at 15:12 Quote
i really like those and was ready to get them, but i was looking for red and those werent going to be shipping until february said the guy at spank

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012497
Mobile Version of Website