Thinking of building a DJ/XC crossover bike.... Good idea? Bad idea?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Thinking of building a DJ/XC crossover bike.... Good idea? Bad idea?
Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 12:50 Quote
willems wrote:
t3aSeR wrote:
willems wrote:

but i want a devoted dj bike that can ride xc if it has too.... i want it to be better at dj... I'm just tired of riding xc on my fr bike with my friends... and i really dont want to invest any monay into a xc bike... at all...
You don't get something like that.
i thank i can with the right frame and the hammerschmidt....
It would be able to DJ but it won't be devoted to it.

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 13:52 Quote
t3aSeR wrote:
willems wrote:
t3aSeR wrote:

You don't get something like that.
i thank i can with the right frame and the hammerschmidt....
It would be able to DJ but it won't be devoted to it.

People are getting this the wrong way. Maybe the word XC is confusing. He doesn´t wan´t to race, nor do super long marathon courses on it. He want´s a dj bike that´s gonna be able to follow his friends around trails and that is singlespeed. A dj bike with a hamerschmidt will give him a gear to pedal uphill that will still give him a clean look and "single speed" feel. I think he might pull it off. Just needs a bit longer head tube and a not so unconfortable saddle. His geo will still suck for trails, and it will be quite possible cramped in the cockpit, but he will be able to do a bit of trails.

I say go for it. You already did it before. Just remember that its not going to be anything different than riding a dj on a xc trail, except you´ll have one more gear that might not force you to get off the saddle on big climbs.

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 13:53 Quote
willems wrote:
I don't think it would change things up too much to have a higher cx type frame, its just that my first priority is to have a DJ bike... with the secondary option of using it as a xc bike when i go out with my buddies. And i don't do any races, so being extremely fast or efficient isn't too big of a deal. I just find that when i climb, i tend to just throw it in a really easy gear and cruise. then on flat to moderate uphill i use a pretty moderate gearing like 17-36 and then i can just coast on downhill... that how i ride xc... I just really like the challenge of only having 2 gearing options... i have done a few long rides (across cities and such) on my old DJ bike and that only had one speed....

This pretty much sums it up

O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 14:18 Quote
Just read through this and it seems your willing to spend money on a hammershmits (sp) which from a quick google seem to be around the 500 GBP mark. That will buy you a ok speced xc hardtail so why not buy one and then build a normal ss dirt jumper with whatever money you would have used on the rest of the spec anyway?

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 14:34 Quote
I actually ride a fair bit of XC on my Dobermann. I'm running SS and one brake most of the time. But if I'm riding Trails, racing, or (failing) at Trials. I'm running twin Juicy Three's. Even though the bike is SS (25-12) gearing, and a stupidly stiff fork. It doesn't ride bad for XC. (I did own a XC specific bike before this.)

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 15:07 Quote
I ride a commencal maxmax. its singlespeed, fully ridged and I only have a back brake (deore hydro. I ride a lot of road and XC on it aswell as dirt jumps and bmx tracks. Yeh I'd be quicker on a road/Xc specific bike but its not so bad.i think that you should buy a DJ/4X bike and put pikes on it and just make sure you have a long seatpost and a comfortable saddle and you should be fine2 cents

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 15:32 Quote
Shoe2190 wrote:
Just read through this and it seems your willing to spend money on a hammershmits (sp) which from a quick google seem to be around the 500 GBP mark. That will buy you a ok speced xc hardtail so why not buy one and then build a normal ss dirt jumper with whatever money you would have used on the rest of the spec anyway?
i would but, i just really want to try the hammerschmidt....Drool

O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 16:34 Quote
willems wrote:
Shoe2190 wrote:
i would but, i just really want to try the hammerschmidt....Drool

Fair enough i know the i want that and im getting it feeling haha

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 18:36 Quote
or go with a santa cruz. they make good quality frames and there jackal is awesome DJ but only 13" seat tube but they also make the chameleon which is a sorta xc/DJ cross bike. A mate has on he prettymuch says its not as perfect as a purpose built xc frame or DJ frame but it does a great job on both...only thing he doesnt like about the chameleon is if your going to do a lot of in air tricks that require being thrown over the bike then dont get it.

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 18:41 Quote
Point is, there is not gonna be a bike that does true dj's and true xc. 5" travel full suspension bikes may help, or a long travel hardtail with a travel adjust fork. That is the best you can get.

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 18:49 Quote
I'm thinking,
Banshee Amp.
Rock Shox Pike
and run a short cassette? 4-6speed?

Or something along those lines.

Posted: Sep 15, 2009 at 18:54 Quote
photoguy9 wrote:
I'm thinking,
Banshee Amp.
Rock Shox Pike
and run a short cassette? 4-6speed?

Or something along those lines.
9spd, and a Pike is fine.

Posted: Sep 10, 2011 at 11:39 Quote
I think a hardtail kona cowan is your huckleberry. a dj with a slightly less standover. SS capable.

Posted: Sep 10, 2011 at 17:25 Quote
minotro wrote:
I think a hardtail kona cowan is your huckleberry. a dj with a slightly less standover. SS capable.

TBH i think this thread kinda died 2 years a go, just saying...

Posted: Sep 10, 2011 at 19:45 Quote
thrice wrote:
Actually it sounds pretty good to me. It seems as though it would be an awesome build.

Only thing I would be worried about is if it has a really low standover, you won´t be able to get the seatpost high enough. Unless you are fairly short and don´t require too long a seat post. What frames where you thinking about?
norco and transition have am/FR hard tails that are crazy burly and can climb. Just a thought

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014282
Mobile Version of Website