Powered by Outside

Chris king headset cup and steerer tube rub

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Chris king headset cup and steerer tube rub
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 8, 2011 at 13:48 Quote
Shoe2190 wrote:
Haha uk distributor for king is the same as for Yeti isant it? They just say our products dont break it must have been your fault

used to be...Evolution Imports (Bromley Bikes) have lost both King and Yeti recently

I had nothing but negative experiences trying to get any warranty on both King headsets I owned, through Evolution

was told there was nothing wrong with the imploded lower bearing on my King headset - they returned it after having just degreased and regreased the bearings, and it was still clicking and making crunching noises when turning the bars, and was charged £30 for the work they had done!!

was also told there was nothing wrong with my other King headset, which was starting to chew its way through my Marzocchi 888RC fork steerer where the "o"ring sat in the top cap of the headset, as the headset constantly worked loose and made clicking noises

Posted: Nov 18, 2011 at 8:10 Quote
Ya so I took out that king headset and it was definately the lower bearings. My steerer tube had no marks and looks brand new. Baseplate looks good, but the bottom bearing is very crunchy when moving by hand. I replacing with a cane creek for two reasons, cheap sealed cartidges and lower stack height. I never realized how tall and goofy these king cups were. I attempt to send the old king set back because all it need is new bearings, we see how that go. I guess the king set lasted me a long time before bearing gave out, but like I said this was on my street/park bike. That means it was never riden in the rain so these bearings gave out over constatnt landings over the years.

Posted: Nov 18, 2011 at 9:44 Quote
Yeah, I don't understand headset prices at all.

I run the $40 FSA looseball pigs, when I need a headset.

When it gets gritty, I spend 15 minutes putting new balls and grease in. I have one Pig from my 2003 Norco Sasquatch that I still use, cups have one little pit. But nothing serious.

Posted: Nov 18, 2011 at 19:28 Quote
This cane creek 40 is awesome for $45 and has sealed carts, low stack height. I popped out my king and the cups are perfect, bottom bearing was completely toasted. Headtube look brand new.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.030578
Mobile Version of Website