Reasons to not go to AXS

O+
Posted: Dec 3, 2020 at 19:33 Quote
Derailleur weight matters as much as cassette weight. It’s unsprung mass that affects your suspension performance.

you are just being annoying at this point. no one asked for opinions from you and you continue spouting conjecture instead of facts.

Posted: Dec 4, 2020 at 0:19 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
Derailleur weight matters as much as cassette weight. It’s unsprung mass that affects your suspension performance.

you are just being annoying at this point. no one asked for opinions from you and you continue spouting conjecture instead of facts.

Check the weight of axs derailleur and compare it with an xtr or a xo1 mech and come back again

Posted: Dec 4, 2020 at 0:35 Quote
I am confused about the above conversation, you are both agreeing the AXS derailleur weighs more than mechanical so why are you both arguing about it lol?
As for shifting smoother a guy in the thread who already owns XTR and AXS says XTR shifts smoother so that clears that up, granted you could run an XTR cassette and AXS mech, but even the new XTR 11 speed cassette with 12 speed spacing weighs as much as the eagle XX1 cassette, to save weight and get rid of useless range via the cassette you need to run a true 11 speed cassette in which case AXS is not compatible hence why I personally run an 11 speed setup but with new XTR 12 speed shifter set to 11 speed via the switch.

Posted: Dec 4, 2020 at 5:22 Quote
carbonsinglespeed wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:
carbonsinglespeed wrote:
Good lord. adespotoskyli really is a bit of a nut job. Your constant trolling here is alarming. You just sound like a stuck record constantly talking the same old bull shit. Its mental that you are STILL coming to this thread repeating yourself.

I think you've just got axs envy and cant admit it.
When you run out of arguments...

lol its obvious that you just like to argue on forums. I'd bet money you're single and poor.

This or he's training to be a politician. Trying to convince people they don't actually like what they clearly prefer and that his way is the best or only way.

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 12:31 Quote
I am fortunate to have a bike with di2 (not the latest version) and now a bike with axs xx1. On just about every count I prefer the shimano version, and my guess is the new 12 speed version is even better. The things I don't like about axs are mostly nits, but they add up to a much less enjoyable user experience, at least for me. What do I dislike the most--the lack of on board information. Di2 gives you battery reading in real time as well as what gear you are in. That is a big plus in my book. I've literally been on a ride on my axs bike and had it stop shifting. Also, with shimano you have one battery that works everything, so you know if that battery has juice (and you can see it every time you shift), you can still shift. You are shifting blind with axs at least while on a ride. I don't want to have to go to my phone to figure out my battery has died. Now I'm going to start carrying one or two button batts in my pack so I know I have spares. As far as shifting goes, I also prefer the shimano. Smoother shifts, and at least the way I have it set up, I also value being able to hold the shifter down and it just runs through all the gears. I may be able to tune some of this using the app, but it is just easier with the di2 from my experience.

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 12:50 Quote
AXS works well. Just the clutch lasts about 6 months. I have it on a rune v3 and it might as well be an unlocked 9sp.

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 12:52 Quote
Smoother shifts with Shimano could just come down to the Shimano cassette though, which is the whole argument us mechanical folks were making as to why we think XTR shifts smoother than AXS and don't see the point in it...granted you could fit an xtr cassette with an AXS derailleur. Also onboard info sounds nice and only one battery to care about...though what I will say to that is you then need somewhere to put the battery and therefore you are adding cables again negating the point imo of electronic drivetrains..in terms of what gear you are in why do you need to know? Surely the best indicator is your legs telling you if you need to shift up or down, and say in the instance you are suddenly coming up to a climb, then just dropping a few gears in a few sweeps should be sufficient in addition to the fact that if you have been riding a bicycle for a while you should already have some intuition of how many downshifts or how far you need to push the lever. I'm still not sold, just a gimmick imo but to each his own...

O+
Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 13:26 Quote
im liking my AXS. I think 12 speed is kinda stupid still, i have yet to use the 50t gear, but otherwise im happy with it. i don't think id pay the $1000-1800 or whatever it costs new, but if you can get a good deal used it's worth it

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 13:49 Quote
I use the 50 when I'm dead tired. Usually climbing the hill back to my house.

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 20:50 Quote
Dkutassy wrote:
carbonsinglespeed wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:

When you run out of arguments...

lol its obvious that you just like to argue on forums. I'd bet money you're single and poor.

This or he's training to be a politician. Trying to convince people they don't actually like what they clearly prefer and that his way is the best or only way.
What you don't get is that you can like whatever you want, that alone doesn't make necessarily a better option than anything else, especially when there's no real advantage. I don't care what you like, I care when your only argument over something is because it just happens you like what you bought. You are either a self absorbed ass to admit you just spend a ridiculous amount of money for a battery and a charger or you are a showoff, or both

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 21:39 Quote
I switched to AXS about a year ago.
The initial reason I was interested was the ease of shifting. After years of beating myself up with physical activities, my hands don’t work like they used too. After reading all of the opinions around this topic, I understand that Mech vs AXS seems to be very one side or the other opinion with many educated/uneducated opinions based on who has/has not used it. After months of use, AXS has been completely reliable with ZERO issue for me. Reliability, shifting, durability, etc. All has been flawless. The “Remember to charge your battery issue” is a non issue for me. I wipe down my bike, clean the chain, etc after every ride, and pop the batteries out for a charge every 3-4 rides while doing the above maintenance. No big deal. End of the day, my next build will also include AXS. But, understand it’s not for everyone. This is just my experience/opinion.
Cheers!

Posted: Dec 3, 2023 at 18:21 Quote
my 2 cents worth...

had axs and going back to cables
why.

I'd dosnt shift smooth like everyone says, if your riding ruff tracks it's just horrible worse than pre clutch days and the noise, rattling down the trail.

and secondly its not intuitive to use, there is no feel in the lever, what gear am I in?

and finally the battery, it's always on my mind, if it goes flat then I'm single speed back to the car and if I'm hours away from the car, I won't be happy.

and I've spent about 6 months on it, great on smoother trails, perfect but not fast ruff stuff.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010595
Mobile Version of Website