Powered by Outside

The Home of Heavy Artillery... At Home (aka, gun lovers thread)

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
The Home of Heavy Artillery... At Home (aka, gun lovers thread)
Posted: May 5, 2016 at 14:35 Quote
With some good aperture sights I'd shoot my 336 past 100m.

Posted: May 5, 2016 at 14:36 Quote
I know people that shoot irons out to 200 (limited by whats available) and would shoot further if it was available.

I used to shoot my AR with an Aimpoint red dot at that distance before I built a rifle with a scope.

Posted: May 5, 2016 at 16:43 Quote
i use to shoot "F" class(scoped) with the Queens shoot (Full-Bore Long Range Target Shooting) so a 308 out to 1000 yards..the old blokes used open sights
mostly i shot from 300 to 600 yards using a Sportco M44(single shot bolt action) its a great shoot to learn about wind reading Big Grin

Hunting i almost never contemplate shooting beyond 300m

Posted: May 5, 2016 at 17:43 Quote
None of those are fixed sights... Iron sights all are adjustable in this day and age. I don't know of a single modern rifle with a fixed sight. In fact, most modern shotguns don't even use fixed sights anymore... they're pretty much limited to pistols.

Posted: May 5, 2016 at 17:56 Quote
I think fixed and iron sights are being confused in this conversation right now.

Posted: May 5, 2016 at 17:57 Quote
StUone7 wrote:
I think fixed and iron sights are being confused in this conversation right now.

Posted: May 5, 2016 at 19:44 Quote
After she finds out and kicks him in the nuts, he'll be the one shooting blanks.

Posted: May 5, 2016 at 22:54 Quote
Hahaha, that's so f*cked up!

Posted: May 6, 2016 at 11:02 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
Can I ask your reasoning behind this? Especially the "always" part.

To me, it makes a lot of sense to zero at 100 meters, since 100 meters is about the shortest distance I will shoot.
Granted some shooting will be done at 80 meters too, but there really is not much happening at +/- 20 meters from that 100 meter zero so I can just set it and leave it for that kind of shooting. This tends to ring true with most popular rifle calibers. Then for competitions every target will be set at a longer distance , say at around 160 meters and out, so to me, it makes sense to dial up accordingly from that 100 meter zero for every stage.
When I leave each stage I dial back down to my 100 meter zero, where the zero stop is set.

In the competitions I go to, I have a DOPE list out to 800 meters taped to the side of my rifle, so I know how much to dial for every distance in 20 meter steps. I also have a list of wind values, but I have not fully worked out a good compromise for just how much information is needed here. My ambition is to simplify the lists so that they are easy to read under time restraints. We are not allowed to use ballistic apps and such in comps here.

O+
Posted: May 7, 2016 at 11:05 Quote
therealtylerdurden wrote:
Lol

haha, lol

Posted: May 7, 2016 at 13:09 Quote
Bought some more ammo today. Got some more .308: American Eagle 150gr FMJ's and some Winchester .22. Have about 2000 rounds of .22 ammo, so should be good for a little bit. Razz

Posted: May 7, 2016 at 13:40 Quote
Nice! That thing got a scope, iron sights, reflex, ?

Posted: May 7, 2016 at 13:48 Quote
therealtylerdurden wrote:
Nice! That thing got a scope, iron sights, reflex, ?
\Nikon Prostaff BDC. For how much the gun cost, pretty good scope.
Also, held some Glock's, Beretta's, Sig's, all in .45, today when i got ammo just to test them out for when I get a pistol.
Glock's weren't bad at all. Didn't feel too big for me. Sig felt the best in my hand, though. Probably come down between a Glock and Sig.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.165105
Mobile Version of Website