2024 Trek Slash

PB Forum :: Trek
2024 Trek Slash
Posted: Apr 2, 2024 at 12:48 Quote
handsomedan wrote:
Nope, haven’t heard anything yet…

Quote="Dixonblack"]
handsomedan wrote:
Interesting… do you know more about the 3D printed chain retention mod? Name of shop?

Also, what about the e-13 guide is better than the mrp? Only asking because I’m curious if the fix was non transmission drive train vs lower guide…

Thanks for the update.

Did you ever get the 3d file for the MRP?
[/Quote]
Bike shop owner is on holiday. I will ask when he gets back. Technology isn’t really my thing!

Posted: Apr 2, 2024 at 13:43 Quote
Bike shop owner is on holiday. I will ask when he gets back. Technology isn’t really my thing![/Quote]

Sweet!

Posted: Apr 6, 2024 at 9:18 Quote
Just took my medium 9.8xt out for a ride. Bit of logging road climbing, bit of DH, bit of tech climbing, bit of slab trails. Everything stock except I switch to a Michelin wild enduro front tire.

Coming from a HP Range it was a pretty easy adjustment and felt nice, and promising. Keep in mind I had the Range for two years and it’s set up ideally.

It feels much stiffer, snappier, and deflective than the Range. The snappier was nice for pedalling. Wasn’t a crazy difference but noticeable for sure. The entire bike felt very stiff and that definitely made it skip off things and deflect more. I think this could be due to a few things, stiff bars and wheels, shorter rear centre/less weight on hands, different tires. To me, it was the stiff wheels. Going to swap out to my Range front wheel with cheap alloys and see today.

I didn’t really notice the mullet in any substantial way. It felt good on the tech climbs and the bike is noticeably lighter. I’m looking forward to it being a bit more nimble. Lighter for carrying in the alpine is a big plus. I’m going to have to hold off on building up a rear wheel to see if I want to go 29 or not.

The shifting and lack of rocker link strikes is a great improvement.

It seems really easy to go through the rear travel. I’ll probably try the more progressive setting.

I’m stoked on it. Definitely need to swap some things and experiment, and get used to it. But I see the potential of finally finding a Range replacement.

Posted: Apr 6, 2024 at 9:34 Quote
BrianColes wrote:
Just took my medium 9.8xt out for a ride. Bit of logging road climbing, bit of DH, bit of tech climbing, bit of slab trails. Everything stock except I switch to a Michelin wild enduro front tire.

Coming from a HP Range it was a pretty easy adjustment and felt nice, and promising. Keep in mind I had the Range for two years and it’s set up ideally.

It feels much stiffer, snappier, and deflective than the Range. The snappier was nice for pedalling. Wasn’t a crazy difference but noticeable for sure. The entire bike felt very stiff and that definitely made it skip off things and deflect more. I think this could be due to a few things, stiff bars and wheels, shorter rear centre/less weight on hands, different tires. To me, it was the stiff wheels. Going to swap out to my Range front wheel with cheap alloys and see today.

I didn’t really notice the mullet in any substantial way. It felt good on the tech climbs and the bike is noticeably lighter. I’m looking forward to it being a bit more nimble. Lighter for carrying in the alpine is a big plus. I’m going to have to hold off on building up a rear wheel to see if I want to go 29 or not.

The shifting and lack of rocker link strikes is a great improvement.

It seems really easy to go through the rear travel. I’ll probably try the more progressive setting.

I’m stoked on it. Definitely need to swap some things and experiment, and get used to it. But I see the potential of finally finding a Range replacement.

Lose the Bontrager bars and tires. Get some OneUp or PNW bars.
The Zeb wants less air pressure than the charts say. Small changes make a big difference,

Posted: Apr 6, 2024 at 11:48 Quote
That’s the plan.

Zeb barely used any travel. Vivid used it all, set 5psi high. Stack could play into it too

Posted: Apr 6, 2024 at 21:42 Quote
Exchanged my front bontrager carbon rim with Michelin Wild Enduro for my alloy rim with Assegai from my Range. Also dropped my bars by the fat spacer (10mm?) although that had less effect.

Night and day difference. The compliant wheel deflected less, gave more traction, felt more damp. I could feel the fully stock rear wheel deflecting everywhere but that’s kind of fun. The front was planted.

It’s a shame Bontrager doesn’t make a complaint rim.

O+
Posted: Apr 7, 2024 at 8:36 Quote
How do you find the clearance with the lg guide compared to the mrp? I’m running a 28 tooth chainring and am finding that I hit rocks with the mrp bashguard which I think is designed for a 32 tooth. Are you still running a 30 tooth chainring up front?

Quote="Spicy-McHaggis"]It’s the e13 lg1 plus lower only guide. What was better about it is the fact it actually kept the chain on! My chain was constantly falling off the lower mrp roller despite following the setup advice millimeter perfect. All changing the spacing to the recommended 7mm achieved was the chain would come off the inside rather than outside. I did run the e13 with transmission without any obvious issues but the bike just didn’t seem to get along with the gx transmission I was running. I did get sent a xx transmission mech to try but chose not to use it. If I can figure out how to post a photo I can show the mrp mod. It isn’t my design so I don’t take any credit but it definitely works.
Now I’ve got everything working as it should, the bike is a weapon and so much fun to ride, as it should be.[/Quote]

Posted: Apr 7, 2024 at 10:44 Quote
Two rides deep and I’ve hit that bash guard so many times. I feel like it hangs lower than the Range linkage.

Posted: Apr 7, 2024 at 12:59 Quote
[Quote="handsomedan"]How do you find the clearance with the lg guide compared to the mrp? I’m running a 28 tooth chainring and am finding that I hit rocks with the mrp bashguard which I think is designed for a 32 tooth. Are you still running a 30 tooth chainring up front?

It definitely sits up higher, but I’m running 32t anyway. Only downside I have found is the lower roller wears quite quickly.

O+
Posted: Apr 7, 2024 at 14:23 Quote
I feel like as I get to know the bike more I hit it less, but would consider getting the e13 guide just for the improved clearance.

BrianColes wrote:
Two rides deep and I’ve hit that bash guard so many times. I feel like it hangs lower than the Range linkage.

Posted: Apr 7, 2024 at 18:12 Quote
Yeah I was just commenting how it’s amazing how in tune with your clearance you can get. Millimeters matter.

Does anyone get a loud tap on impact? Sounds like it’s from the shock but I’m not bottoming out, unless bottom out is actually not the end of the stancion. Chain against rear mud guard?

Posted: Apr 8, 2024 at 0:49 Quote
BrianColes wrote:
Yeah I was just commenting how it’s amazing how in tune with your clearance you can get. Millimeters matter.

Does anyone get a loud tap on impact? Sounds like it’s from the shock but I’m not bottoming out, unless bottom out is actually not the end of the stancion. Chain against rear mud guard?

I also dont know if the end of the stanchion of the vivid is the bottom out or if its about 4mm earlier.

Posted: Apr 8, 2024 at 19:11 Quote
Put it in the progressive setting and kept the air the same. Still used a lot of travel but it has better small bump. Also just feels much smoother and more consistent through the travel. So far so good.

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2024 at 21:02 Quote
Interesting, I’ve only used the linear setting so far and find that it is still poppy with good eat small bump sensitivity. Will have to try out the progressive.

Quote="BrianColes"]Put it in the progressive setting and kept the air the same. Still used a lot of travel but it has better small bump. Also just feels much smoother and more consistent through the travel. So far so good.[/Quote]

Posted: Apr 10, 2024 at 8:16 Quote
Anybody around 5'6" size up to a M/L frame?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008896
Mobile Version of Website