Powered by Outside

2024 Trek Slash

PB Forum :: Trek
2024 Trek Slash
O+
Posted: Apr 10, 2024 at 8:50 Quote
ashmtb85 wrote:
Anybody around 5'6" size up to a M/L frame?
'

I can't imagine that working out well. I'm 5'7" on a gen 5 and gen 6 medium. Seat slammed forward and 35mm stem and the cockpit still feels long sometimes.

I couldn't imagine riding a M/L and enjoying it.

Posted: Apr 10, 2024 at 9:10 Quote
WharfRatNJ wrote:
ashmtb85 wrote:
'

I can't imagine that working out well. I'm 5'7" on a gen 5 and gen 6 medium. Seat slammed forward and 35mm stem and the cockpit still feels long sometimes.

How does it feel descending very steep terrain? Agile or very long and planted?

O+
Posted: Apr 10, 2024 at 12:37 Quote
ashmtb85 wrote:
WharfRatNJ wrote:
ashmtb85 wrote:
'

How does it feel descending very steep terrain? Agile or very long and planted?

My gen 6 is 180 fork and full 29 so def would say long and planted. I use it mostly for park riding and it jumps fine too but I think it excels at high speed rocky terrain.

Posted: Apr 10, 2024 at 16:18 Quote
ashmtb85 wrote:

I’m 5’6. I would have on the old slash if the seat tube wasn’t so long but on this one I wouldn’t. I does feel on the smaller side coming from the range but a longer stem or maybe sliding the seat back would do enough. Really, it feels sweet and I was bombing DH lines right away.

Posted: Apr 10, 2024 at 20:27 Quote
BrianColes wrote:
ashmtb85 wrote:

I’m 5’6. I would have on the old slash if the seat tube wasn’t so long but on this one I wouldn’t. I does feel on the smaller side coming from the range but a longer stem or maybe sliding the seat back would do enough. Really, it feels sweet and I was bombing DH lines right away.

Thanks for the response! Yeah I am curious to try a bike with a longer front center just to see how it feels bombing down super steep trails here in socal.

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2024 at 14:51 Quote
ashmtb85 wrote:

I'm 5'6" and bought a gen 6 medium. Perfect size for me on my local trails. For long descents such as in the park I wouldn't mind a bit longer.

Posted: Apr 12, 2024 at 15:53 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
ashmtb85 wrote:

I'm 5'6" and bought a gen 6 medium. Perfect size for me on my local trails. For long descents such as in the park I wouldn't mind a bit longer.

do you run it slack and as a mullet?

Posted: Apr 12, 2024 at 20:28 Quote
After just riding some DH trails at pace now that things have dried out I have a few takeaways. I need to set up my suspension better (need more bottom out support but more small bump compliance. The rear wheel skips sideways a lot. It’s still stock but I blame it on the rim. A m/l would be a great size for plowing.

Posted: Apr 12, 2024 at 21:01 Quote
BrianColes wrote:
After just riding some DH trails at pace now that things have dried out I have a few takeaways. I need to set up my suspension better (need more bottom out support but more small bump compliance. The rear wheel skips sideways a lot. It’s still stock but I blame it on the rim. A m/l would be a great size for plowing.

Maybe try the more progressive setting if not already in it? Or volume spacers?

And yeah I think it would be interesting to ride a size up just to see. I plan on sizing up for my next bike

Posted: Apr 13, 2024 at 8:16 Quote
Already in progressive. Spacers next.

Posted: Apr 13, 2024 at 8:32 Quote
BrianColes wrote:
Already in progressive. Spacers next.

It's 25% in the more progressive setting right? You must weigh a lot and/or ride hard.

Posted: Apr 13, 2024 at 10:15 Quote
That’s not a lot. The range was 26%. The new altitude is 36%. Cascade components exists for a reason.

I’m sure there are compression settings to adjust what I need but I have found that in the past, that is limited. I’m no expert though. It’s probably a combo of many things of course.

I’m 150lbs and am setting it up for high speed DH trails and flat pedals.

Posted: Apr 13, 2024 at 11:56 Quote
BrianColes wrote:
That’s not a lot. The range was 26%. The new altitude is 36%. Cascade components exists for a reason.

I’m sure there are compression settings to adjust what I need but I have found that in the past, that is limited. I’m no expert though. It’s probably a combo of many things of course.

I’m 150lbs and am setting it up for high speed DH trails and flat pedals.
I found fairly similar in weight and riding style. I run progressive setting, 30% sag, middle or plus 1 compression, 2 clicks hydraulic bottom out, slightly slower than recommended rebound. Might give you something to start with. Still run the bonty carbon rims because af the warranty and dh casing and am pretty happy with the setup.

Posted: Apr 13, 2024 at 20:58 Quote
Did some steep rough stuff tonight. Slowed down the rebound, fully opened the compression, maxed out the HBO. It felt better. No hard bottom outs but this trail didn’t have hits.

I’m not sure about the small bump compliance. Buddy has a new slayer with an x2 and it feels buttery off the top. It feels like the Slash needs a lot to get it moving. Riding off curbs, hitting pot holes, or hitting stepped roots on trail all feels like the rear wheel hits hard. There’s an audible whack, it feels harsh, and I believe it affects the tracking. Pushing on the seat in the driveway it’s not a light touch to get it moving. I wouldn’t call it coil like in any way. The x2, I would.

Do I need a rebuild? Do I just need a coil? Do I need to run way lower psi and add spacers?

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2024 at 8:26 Quote
Why not switch back to the linear / plush setting? I find the platform to be quite supportive / poppy. Progressive mode felt like too much for me, harsher off the top. I definitely prefer the linear setting and don’t feel like I’m giving up any support if that makes sense.

I’m also running less psi and rebound then recommended. Finally starting to get it where I’m happy.

Quote="BrianColes"]Did some steep rough stuff tonight. Slowed down the rebound, fully opened the compression, maxed out the HBO. It felt better. No hard bottom outs but this trail didn’t have hits.

I’m not sure about the small bump compliance. Buddy has a new slayer with an x2 and it feels buttery off the top. It feels like the Slash needs a lot to get it moving. Riding off curbs, hitting pot holes, or hitting stepped roots on trail all feels like the rear wheel hits hard. There’s an audible whack, it feels harsh, and I believe it affects the tracking. Pushing on the seat in the driveway it’s not a light touch to get it moving. I wouldn’t call it coil like in any way. The x2, I would.

Do I need a rebuild? Do I just need a coil? Do I need to run way lower psi and add spacers?[/Quote]

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009700
Mobile Version of Website