Powered by Outside

DVO appreciation and support thread (AKA the Ced Thread) - Pics, ride reports and discussion

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
DVO appreciation and support thread (AKA the Ced Thread) - Pics, ride reports and discussion
Posted: Jun 8, 2023 at 8:53 Quote
mrliver wrote:
I have a gen 3 topaz and want to add volume spacers. However, I can't find a vid or instructions anywhere on the gen 3, just the old gens. Does anyone know if it's all the same?

I tried to follow the instructions on DVO's site and the vid they posted in like 2020 using an old model, and I can't for the life of me get that o-ring off to slide the air can down. If anyone has tricks for getting the o ring out, that'd be cool. Tried sliding a credit card under it but that felt like I was going to damage the o-ring.

Just successfully replaced my first dropper post w/ internal routing a few days back and was feeling like a halfway competent garage mechanic, then I get stuck on step 1 of putting spacers in...

My previous Gen 2 model was easier to get the o-ring off. Gen 3 is the same design so you are doing the right thing but I found it much harder to get it free on the gen 3. The thumb method did not work for me, maybe my thumbs are not sticky enough. I used a plastic dental pick to get under it.

Posted: Jun 8, 2023 at 10:55 Quote
tubby1536 wrote:
mrliver wrote:
I have a gen 3 topaz and want to add volume spacers. However, I can't find a vid or instructions anywhere on the gen 3, just the old gens. Does anyone know if it's all the same?

I tried to follow the instructions on DVO's site and the vid they posted in like 2020 using an old model, and I can't for the life of me get that o-ring off to slide the air can down. If anyone has tricks for getting the o ring out, that'd be cool. Tried sliding a credit card under it but that felt like I was going to damage the o-ring.

Just successfully replaced my first dropper post w/ internal routing a few days back and was feeling like a halfway competent garage mechanic, then I get stuck on step 1 of putting spacers in...

My previous Gen 2 model was easier to get the o-ring off. Gen 3 is the same design so you are doing the right thing but I found it much harder to get it free on the gen 3. The thumb method did not work for me, maybe my thumbs are not sticky enough. I used a plastic dental pick to get under it.

My problem is I can't even get contact with the o-ring with my fingers. It's so totally flush with the air can that it's basically flat with nothing to grip. I'll give it another go.

Posted: Jun 8, 2023 at 12:36 Quote
MRLIVER- This may sound stupid, but I don't like to assume in a case of safety. But to confirm- you have released the air from the shock slowly to empty? After that sometimes trying to slide the air sleeve "on" more will help to unseat that oring. The thumbs method mentions before works really well so this could help. If you have the air sleeve oroing service kit, a new one of those comes in it, so you could just spear it with a pick and pull it. Another method, but you gotta be careful to not damage the ring or the sleeve- use a feeler guage to gently lever under the ring then pull it off. Good luck!

Posted: Jun 8, 2023 at 18:07 Quote
SPSuspension wrote:
MRLIVER- This may sound stupid, but I don't like to assume in a case of safety. But to confirm- you have released the air from the shock slowly to empty? After that sometimes trying to slide the air sleeve "on" more will help to unseat that oring. The thumbs method mentions before works really well so this could help. If you have the air sleeve oroing service kit, a new one of those comes in it, so you could just spear it with a pick and pull it. Another method, but you gotta be careful to not damage the ring or the sleeve- use a feeler guage to gently lever under the ring then pull it off. Good luck!

Thanks! I am a pretty new home mechanic, but I did let the air out. I'll try the thumb method again. Also wondering if I can get away with doing it without removing the shock. Have heard people say you can. I may try using a dental pick as someone else suggested, but I do not have a replacement o ring, just the spacers, so I'm paranoid about damaging it.

Posted: Jun 9, 2023 at 11:26 Quote
mrliver wrote:

Since you're the only one I've found who has done a gen 3, are there any differences for it I should know about other than this, or can I follow the old DVO vid on it without any changes? Wish DVO would put that info in the youtube vid description, it'd take like 30 seconds and save amateur wrenches like me having to scavenger hunt forums to check. I can do reparis with clear instructions, but I'm not experienced enough to figure 'em out on my own, and I don't wanna screw things up and be out of a ride.

Posted: Jun 15, 2023 at 7:27 Quote
mrliver wrote:
mrliver wrote:

Since you're the only one I've found who has done a gen 3, are there any differences for it I should know about other than this, or can I follow the old DVO vid on it without any changes? Wish DVO would put that info in the youtube vid description, it'd take like 30 seconds and save amateur wrenches like me having to scavenger hunt forums to check. I can do reparis with clear instructions, but I'm not experienced enough to figure 'em out on my own, and I don't wanna screw things up and be out of a ride.

Not sure if you are asking me or not since you quoted yourself. Anyway, from what I can tell the air can sleeve removal and full air can removal is the same at the gen 2. What I am not sure of is if the same service kits can be used or if the seals are different sizes. I was going to confirm directly with DVO when it came closer to service time.

Posted: Jun 15, 2023 at 8:05 Quote
tubby1536 wrote:
mrliver wrote:
mrliver wrote:

Not sure if you are asking me or not since you quoted yourself. Anyway, from what I can tell the air can sleeve removal and full air can removal is the same at the gen 2. What I am not sure of is if the same service kits can be used or if the seals are different sizes. I was going to confirm directly with DVO when it came closer to service time.

Ah yeah, that's my bad. Thanks for the reply.

If I follow the old video, I am never unscrewing the air can, right? It stays at the top of the shaft, and after the o-ring's off, it just slides down while still screwed in. Just trying to make sure I have my stuff straight before my next attempt.

Posted: Jun 15, 2023 at 12:46 Quote
mrliver wrote:
tubby1536 wrote:
mrliver wrote:

Ah yeah, that's my bad. Thanks for the reply.

If I follow the old video, I am never unscrewing the air can, right? It stays at the top of the shaft, and after the o-ring's off, it just slides down while still screwed in. Just trying to make sure I have my stuff straight before my next attempt.

That is correct. You only need to unscrew the air can if doing a full air can service, which is changing all the seals. To add remove bands just slide the sleeve down once the one large o-ring is removed.

Posted: Jun 15, 2023 at 13:09 Quote
MRLIVER- I just did one this morning and remembered the DVO video on TOPAZ tuning shows the easiest method (way easier that trying to explain typing LOL), check that out if you haven't. If you doing it that way and its still not coming off- there is possibly another issue.

Posted: Jun 16, 2023 at 9:57 Quote
SPSuspension wrote:
MRLIVER- I just did one this morning and remembered the DVO video on TOPAZ tuning shows the easiest method (way easier that trying to explain typing LOL), check that out if you haven't. If you doing it that way and its still not coming off- there is possibly another issue.

Yeah I followed it, just got stuck at basically step 1. Let the air out and could NOT get the o-ring to leave the bottom of the air can. Gonna try again after reading all these comments and see, but I am afraid of damaging the o-ring and being without a ride for who knows how long while I get a replacement. My bike rides okay right now, just tends to bottom on big hits, and I prefer stiffer sus, so it's just a preference to add spacers and not a necessity. Would rather ride the bike with imperfect tuning on the shock than be sitting around because I screwed up the o-ring. If I can't pop it with my fingers this time, I'm just going to leave it or take it to the LBS. Not going to risk damaging it with a pick of some kind.

O+
Posted: Jun 16, 2023 at 11:33 Quote
That lower oring doesn’t seal air, it just stops the aircan from being able to be pulled down. You can actually ride the shock without it on

Stab it with a pick and get on with it

O+
Posted: Jun 16, 2023 at 12:15 Quote
HumbdiDumbdi wrote:
provin1327 wrote:
Yes that was 2wheels92 here on Pinkbike. It's posted in this thread a few pages back but is also available on Thingverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4582081

No, I mean DVO themselves have one. I just mailed them and asked about this whole OTT problem.
It seems to be a rare problem that the OTT is turning itself in and in most cases that stops with the known method of putting grease back on the spring. The cases like mine where that doesn't fix it are the rare cases in the rare cases so to say. For these cases they made a cap for the adjuster themselves, I will see how exactly this looks when they send me one.
These are the only solutions they found so far.

I was going in to the air spring anyway to change travel. DVO suggested while I was there to give the OTT spring a generous shot of Maxima Waterproof Grease. It's quite a bit stiffer than the factory grease, and resists washout from the bath oil better. It's the only Maxima product DVO recommend for their suspension.

Did that, and for what it's worth have had no issue with OTT settings changing on rides. No spring sounds from the fork either. Note that because this is a spring, not an air negative chamber (the space communicates with the fork leg) adding extra grease should have little to no negative effect on fork feel. The spring will max out before the grease starts to get squished.

Posted: Jun 16, 2023 at 17:10 Quote
Interesting. I told them about my OTT winding up a month ago and they just sent me the 3D printed dial thing. Not a word about maxima grease. Good to know.

If anyone is wondering I also printed one myself from the thingaverse file which is much nicer than the DVO one. The DVO one is printed with low resolution and is not designed with a pinch bolt. It is held on by friction. Has not fallen off yet but I am fully expecting to lose it at some point. It cost me all of $2 to print one at the local library and a couple bucks for the nut and bolt.

Posted: Jun 17, 2023 at 14:28 Quote
Lololmalol wrote:
That lower oring doesn’t seal air, it just stops the aircan from being able to be pulled down. You can actually ride the shock without it on

If I can ride without it, why does it exist? What's its purpose? Frustrate home mechanics? I'm skeptical of this comment...

O+
Posted: Jun 17, 2023 at 15:19 Quote
mrliver wrote:
Lololmalol wrote:

If I can ride without it, why does it exist? What's its purpose? Frustrate home mechanics? I'm skeptical of this comment...

It's there for the exact reason he said it's there. He means you can be a bit rough with it while removing it. If you want to reuse it, just make sure it's still circular/not completely split. It's just there to keep the air an from sliding off.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012318
Mobile Version of Website