2024 Trek Slash

PB Forum :: Trek
2024 Trek Slash
Posted: Apr 27, 2024 at 18:44 Quote
Finally got the DHX2 coil shock on my slash. Absolute game changer compared to the vivid. I’m not sure if it’s the tune, my weight, or the fact that it’s an air shock but the coil gives so much more traction, composure, and small bump sensitivity. Up to this point it seemed like the high pivot was pointless on this bike, now it eats chunder.

It also makes the bike a little quieter. Not quite quiet though, something makes a racket back there. A multi tool and plastic tire levers in the twat box definitely seems to add to the noise. Also, that frame storage box isn’t water proof. Super lame.

Changes so far that made a difference in ride quality (essentially trying to get more compliance and traction :
-reserve alu front wheel with Michelin wild enduro Magi X
-kryptotal DH rear tire.
- 25% progression setting
- DHX2 coil shock

O+
Posted: Apr 27, 2024 at 20:17 Quote
Awesome - glad it is working well for you.

I did write to Rock Shox about the lower mount bolt. They recommend that it is smooth where it is in contact with the shock hardware. I have emailed Trek about it - to either ask for a new bolt in line with Rock Shox recommendation or their acceptance of any damage (and replacement of any damaged parts). Still waiting for a reply.

Did you find a smooth bolt for your DHX2?

Posted: Apr 27, 2024 at 22:08 Quote
Allaboutheride wrote:
Ktom3001 wrote:
Allaboutheride wrote:

V2 upper Idler ETA is April 29th

What does the new upper idler do? I have 585 miles on my 9.8 XT with no chain drops.
I figure if it's not broke don't fix it

Taller teeth compared to stock idler. Should help with people running T-type drivetrains from what I’ve heard.
They should fix the t-type drivetrains instead. More teeth means more friction. Put better tension on the chain instead? I see the chain fly around like a loose whip on the huck to flat videos. My old Shimano XT M8000 doesn’t do that.

Posted: Apr 28, 2024 at 8:19 Quote
handsomedan wrote:
Awesome - glad it is working well for you.

I did write to Rock Shox about the lower mount bolt. They recommend that it is smooth where it is in contact with the shock hardware. I have emailed Trek about it - to either ask for a new bolt in line with Rock Shox recommendation or their acceptance of any damage (and replacement of any damaged parts). Still waiting for a reply.

Did you find a smooth bolt for your DHX2?

Just take the bolt out and go to a bolt store and ask for a shoulder bolt of the same length and size, will take wayyyyy less hassle and bike is running again quick.

Posted: Apr 30, 2024 at 10:18 Quote
joni0001984 wrote:
Allaboutheride wrote:
Ktom3001 wrote:

What does the new upper idler do? I have 585 miles on my 9.8 XT with no chain drops.
I figure if it's not broke don't fix it

Taller teeth compared to stock idler. Should help with people running T-type drivetrains from what I’ve heard.
They should fix the t-type drivetrains instead. More teeth means more friction. Put better tension on the chain instead? I see the chain fly around like a loose whip on the huck to flat videos. My old Shimano XT M8000 doesn’t do that.

My XT drivetrain is dead quiet on the downhills. I think this suspension design may have some issues with the amount of clutch tension provided by T-Type

Posted: Apr 30, 2024 at 15:45 Quote
Kthom my bike is pretty quiet but I wouldn’t call it dead quiet. There’s a pretty alarming noise once in a while. I was going to replace the chain guard with some slapper tape.

Posted: Apr 30, 2024 at 16:30 Quote
Ktom3001 wrote:
joni0001984 wrote:
Allaboutheride wrote:

My XT drivetrain is dead quiet on the downhills. I think this suspension design may have some issues with the amount of clutch tension provided by T-Type
Taking off the Transmission was probably the best thing I did on mine. Has been trouble free ever since.

Posted: May 4, 2024 at 8:57 Quote
Just got my 29” link but still no 29 wheel to slap on. I read in some reviews that talked about a high/low option and it seemed like they were talking about using the 29 link with the 27 wheel for this.

Does anyone know what’s up with that?

Posted: May 4, 2024 at 20:15 Quote
BrianColes wrote:
Just got my 29” link but still no 29 wheel to slap on. I read in some reviews that talked about a high/low option and it seemed like they were talking about using the 29 link with the 27 wheel for this.

Does anyone know what’s up with that?

I ran 29 with the 27.5 link for a few months. Didn't really notice a difference when I finally got the 29 link.
Now I'm thinking about running the Zeb at 180-190 with the 27.5 link/29 wheel

Posted: May 6, 2024 at 9:19 Quote
Put me in coach...:

photo

Very stoked on the bike - just got it and 2 rides on her so far.

Can we talk ZEB / Vivid setup?

I started with recommended and Vivid has been bottoming hard...slowly raising pressure but wondering if I need some volume spacers...

Same with the ZEB...the thing is diving HARD in big compressions / g-outs...

Im coming from running FOX for 10+ years so the setup philosophy here seems a bit different.

What settings yall running? I'm 185lbs for reference...

Posted: May 6, 2024 at 9:40 Quote
I’m 150lb on a medium. My vivid had a very firm tune and made it garbage. Stopped trying to figure it out and went coil. Before that I believe I was running 30-35% sag in the progressive setting and using all the travel but not bottoming hard. Shock set up was wack though so take it for what’s it’s worth.

I find the zeb sits low in its travel. I had a zeb r on my range from two years ago and it sat higher. I also find all fox forks sit higher.

I like a stiff fork. Set about 6-10 higher. My low speed is fully closed but am experimenting with a few clicks open. I ride in Golden BC. Lots of steeps and want support over everything.

Posted: May 6, 2024 at 9:57 Quote
BrianColes wrote:
I’m 150lb on a medium. My vivid had a very firm tune and made it garbage. Stopped trying to figure it out and went coil. Before that I believe I was running 30-35% sag in the progressive setting and using all the travel but not bottoming hard. Shock set up was wack though so take it for what’s it’s worth.

I find the zeb sits low in its travel. I had a zeb r on my range from two years ago and it sat higher. I also find all fox forks sit higher.

I like a stiff fork. Set about 6-10 higher. My low speed is fully closed but am experimenting with a few clicks open. I ride in Golden BC. Lots of steeps and want support over everything.

Helpful thanks. Also steep here where I ride and feels like I'm using more travel than I would with the 38. I'm gonna bump up the pressure to see if that fixes it and likely need a token...just feels like there is no support at the end of the stroke.

VIVID...yea its kinda weird one at least 2 rides in - also the stupid adjustment know fell off first ride, lol - seems a few PSI is making a huge difference in this thing....anyone know i it comes with any volume spacers from the factory? I have not pulled it apart yet.

Posted: May 6, 2024 at 11:14 Quote
wolftwenty1 wrote:
BrianColes wrote:

Helpful thanks. Also steep here where I ride and feels like I'm using more travel than I would with the 38. I'm gonna bump up the pressure to see if that fixes it and likely need a token...just feels like there is no support at the end of the stroke.

VIVID...yea its kinda weird one at least 2 rides in - also the stupid adjustment know fell off first ride, lol - seems a few PSI is making a huge difference in this thing....anyone know i it comes with any volume spacers from the factory? I have not pulled it apart yet.

In the Vivid, I added 2 tokens, HBO is half and at 200 psi (175lbs) and doesn't bottom now. My Zeb is at 180mm with 0 tokens and 30% sag with full weight on front (forgot my pressure).

Posted: May 6, 2024 at 14:02 Quote
So I’m in the thought of getting an Enduro bike, the gen 6 Slash has been on my shortlist but the concern about the infamous chain dropping has kept me sceptical. I don’t have the patience to deal with that stuff.

Is this still a problem after the fixes Trek has made? Any major difference between Shimano and T-Type SRAM drivetrains?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017091
Mobile Version of Website